We’re about to get a huge dose of Blue Jays

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles haven’t faced the Blue Jays yet this year, but boy is that about to change: starting on Friday we play them 10 times in 21 days.   

As Moose was pointing out in the MLB Forum, Vlad Jr. currently has an OPS+ of 211.    It might be 300 when July 8 comes around!

Over 1/5 of the rest of the season after today will be against Toronto.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Need to get rid of the unbalanced schedule, I'm not a fan of it. I don't need 80 games a year against the Evil Empire, Pink Hat Nation, Blue Jays and Rays. Let me see more of teams like the Angels. 

They could take five games off of each division opponent a year, and it would free up a full 20 games to spread around other teams.  Could even see a couple of additional NL opponents with that arrangement.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Need to get rid of the unbalanced schedule, I'm not a fan of it. I don't need 80 games a year against the Evil Empire, Pink Hat Nation, Blue Jays and Rays. Let me see more of teams like the Angels. 

I think it makes more sense to have leagues divided up geographically. Like we’d play NL East teams just as much as AL East teams and then maybe play Central and West teams in a similar fashion as inter league games. Then you could create two divisions within each East/Central/West league that are divided according to payroll so teams like the Rays are fighting for “divisional titles” vs the lower half and youd have teams like Yankees, Red Sox, Nats fighting it out in their own division. Then divisions could be restructured yearly or something based on the previous years roster budget after the WS.

I don’t know, I’ve finished what I’ve sat down to do and I don’t know what stinks more...this idea or the other unmentionable I’ve created in the past 5 minutes of writing this up. 

1 hour ago, oriole said:
4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think it makes more sense to have leagues divided up geographically. Like we’d play NL East teams just as much as AL East teams and then maybe play Central and West teams in a similar fashion as inter league games. Then you could create two divisions within each East/Central/West league that are divided according to payroll so teams like the Rays are fighting for “divisional titles” vs the lower half and youd have teams like Yankees, Red Sox, Nats fighting it out in their own division. Then divisions could be restructured yearly or something based on the previous years roster budget after the WS.

I don’t know, I’ve finished what I’ve sat down to do and I don’t know what stinks more...this idea or the other unmentionable I’ve created in the past 5 minutes of writing this up. 

Although there is probably zero chance, I would not mind significantly limiting or completely doing away with inter-league play.  The schedule could be 14 against your division and 10 against the rest of the league.   That’s 156.  Then, keep 6 games for a “natural rival” (e.g. NYY v NYM, BAL v DC, CWS v CHC, etc.).  The natural rival concept doesn’t work great for everybody (you’d get some match-ups like SEA v COL), but it fits in most of the big markets which is probably most important to MLB.  

Edited by jdwilde1
Bad math
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdwilde1 said:

Although there is probably zero chance, I would not mind significantly limiting or completely doing away with inter-league play.  The schedule could be 14 against your division and 10 against the rest of the league.   That’s 156.  Then, keep 6 games for a “natural rival” (e.g. NYY v NYM, BAL v DC, CWS v CHC, etc.).  The natural rival concept doesn’t work great for everybody (you’d get some match-ups like SEA v COL), but it fits in most of the big markets which is probably most important to MLB.  

I'd probably be for this too along with going back to a more balanced schedule. But Chris Davis has betters odds returning back to his 2015 form before MLB makes this change to the schedule.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Vlad has a great chance at winning it, but I think if Ohtani keeps doing what he's doing, it's gotta go to him.  Should be a close race though.

He should start the AS game on the mound and at the plate because it’s such a great story.

• Upvote 2

I’m glad I’m not the only one who think so, but I personally despise interleague play. It’s an incredible waste of time we play teams we don’t follow, we don’t compete against And mostly don’t care about.

In the olden days when I was a lad, and gas was $.35 a gallon, and you could buy a brand new Gremlin for $2800, I think every ALteam played every other American league team 12 or 15 times and that was it.

That’s what we should do. Play American league teams, play them all an equal number of times and let the National League take care of itself. Interleague play is stupid. It answers no questions, creates no good, satisfies no need and fulfills no goals. It’s just a waste of time.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who think so, but I personally despise interleague play. It’s an incredible waste of time we play teams we don’t follow, we don’t compete against And mostly don’t care about.

In the olden days when I was a lad, and gas was $.35 a gallon, and you could buy a brand new Gremlin for $2800, I think every ALteam played every other American league team 12 or 15 times and that was it.

That’s what we should do. Play American league teams, play them all an equal number of times and let the National League take care of itself. Interleague play is stupid. It answers no questions, creates no good, satisfies no need and fulfills no goals. It’s just a waste of time.

If they put the DH in the NL (as it sounds is likely) there isn’t any reason to not have a balanced schedule.   The two “leagues” are now run by the same people and the DH is the only difference.  Once that is gone they might as well put everyone together and you play each team the same number of times.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I hate IL play too.  Liked it at first but now it’s dumb.  It’s not balanced at all. If you are going to do it, either play every team for one series or not at all.

I don’t care that we play our division more than anyone else, outside of how boring it is after a while.  That’s the way it should be imo.  But the IL Play stuff is just dumb to me at this point.