Coby Mayo 2021

Sports Guy

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s an exciting guy to watch.  I really hope he can stay at third but if not, that’s ok.

Im really curious to see if he is on the radar for top 100 lists.  

I raised that question about a month ago and I think the answer could be he’ll be a similar status as Gunnar was heading into this season. Honorable mention and if he performs he’ll crack some. 

19 minutes ago, joelala said:

I raised that question about a month ago and I think the answer could be he’ll be a similar status as Gunnar was heading into this season. Honorable mention and if he performs he’ll crack some. 

Yea that’s what I said too.  He may have impressed more than Gunnar though.  Just more of a question of getting enough at bats and if they feel he has shown enough to make those lists.

19 minutes ago, joelala said:

Gunnar had done nothing before this season.   Going into next season, Mayo is going to have an amazing 30 games at Delmarva.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:04 PM, Sports Guy said:

What would the reasoning be to start him in Delmarva? I agree its possible but I don't think its justifiable.

I am not strongly against him starting in Aberdeen. I would think he will get another 150 at bats at Delmarva. I think that is Elias/Blood’s MO, and I think Mayo can benefit from that. They do not want to send him back down, so start next year in Delmarva and go from there. He can still finish the year in Bowie. Henderson is. 

I have heard that low A ball is not the same level as it used to be, so maybe @Frobbyis correct. Perhaps that is best for him. It is interesting to think about. Blood may want to keep challenging him after a great Spring. 

If Mayo gets his body in great shape, with more explosiveness and flexibility, that is the most important thing to me. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Gunnar had done nothing before this season.   Going into next season, Mayo is going to have an amazing 30 games at Delmarva.

Also true. I certainly wouldn’t disagree with him being on a list or two, and perhaps with the growing reputation of our system amongst the industry, he’ll get on one. 

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't have the metrics but that swing is really, really fast. His hip rotation is a thing of beauty. 

Reminds me of a certain ROY candidate, who I've said before had the loudest bat I ever heard at Frederick.  Mayo's gonna hit at the big level.  I'm seeing that clearly now as I did with a very young RM.

12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Reminds me of a certain ROY candidate, who I've said before had the loudest bat I ever heard at Frederick.  Mayo's gonna hit at the big level.  I'm seeing that clearly now as I did with a very young RM.

I think Mayo has a chance to be better than Mountcastle, perhaps significantly better with his plate discipline. I saw a good hitter in Mountcastle with some special plate coverage, but Mayo just looks different. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Not only has Mayo hit considerably better than Gunnar (.981 OPS vs career .800), he strikes out much less (18.5% of plate appearances vs 29.2 career) and walks more (13.4% vs 11.5).  216 plate appearances for Coby and 584 for Gunnar.  

The plus for Gunnar is he is ahead of Mayo on the timeline and is still getting reps at SS. I know many are skeptical he can stay there, but if he can, that's a big bonus for him. Still, I'm glad we have both in this system. 

17 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

The plus for Gunnar is he is ahead of Mayo on the timeline and is still getting reps at SS. I know many are skeptical he can stay there, but if he can, that's a big bonus for him. Still, I'm glad we have both in this system. 

Agreed - Coby is only a half year younger than Gunnar, and it could be GREAT for the O's if Gunnar can stay at SS.   

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Agreed - Coby is only a half year younger than Gunnar, and it could be GREAT for the O's if Gunnar can stay at SS.   

The Yankees occasional Stanton/Judge/Gallo outfielders got lauded as biggest/tallest ever; Mayo/Gunnar would be 3B/SS towers if they could handle it.

Skimmed back through Cal, who mostly played next to average or short height guys, except B-Ref one year has the 6-3 Jeff Manto as the 3B starter for the year.

If I get to Bowie tonight or rainy tomorrow, one of the things I'll be looking for is if I believe Gunnar's present 6'2" listing on minorleaguebaseball.

19 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

The Yankees occasional Stanton/Judge/Gallo outfielders got lauded as biggest/tallest ever; Mayo/Gunnar would be 3B/SS towers if they could handle it.

Skimmed back through Cal, who mostly played next to average or short height guys, except B-Ref one year has the 6-3 Jeff Manto as the 3B starter for the year.

If I get to Bowie tonight or rainy tomorrow, one of the things I'll be looking for is if I believe Gunnar's present 6'2" listing on minorleaguebaseball.

Imagine if Westburg ends up at 2nd base - he's listed at 6'3.  The infield could be the biggest ever - Mountcastle, Westburg, Gunnar, and Mayo.