I think Mullins in the all Star game is pretty likely

Greenpastures23

22 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Preaching to the choir,here, but how is this guy not in the top three in voting?

Among AL outfielders, here's how Mullins ranks:

Hits (1)

2B (2)

3B (T2)

HR (T5)

RBI (20) - thanks to the bottom of this order

BA (2)

OBP (1)

SLG (1)

OPS (1)

XBH (1)

Total Bases (1)

WAR (1)

And the stats you listed, every one, ignores his defense. When you add in his defense. I checked and in all MLB, he’s the third best defensive major league outfielder( behind Two Tamba Bay Rays, of course, And they are both centerfielders, so presumably they are platooning. Defense is important. Don’t omit it.

Mullins should start.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Diaz was a top 50 guy when we got him.  If you get a top 50 guy (and presumably you and your scouts love him), a potential mid to back end starter, a potential solid BP arm, I think you think long and hard about that deal.

I’m not saying he’s a complete slam dunk but if the second player was a rising guy like Bradish and you get a highly ranked guy, that’s a lot to say no to for a guy who has had 2 great months in the majors and is already 26.

Thank you.  

Obviously if Mullins is still doing this a year from now and put a .900+ OPS in 2021, then this changes things.  

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Trading Mullins for what we got for Machado would be awful.

Now that we see how the Machado return panned out, sure.  

But as SG said, Diaz was a top 50 guy, and you are trying to capitalize on two great months from Mullins.  

50 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

No way am I trading a young All Star CF for some prospects.  To even consider the trade, I would want a premium top 25 prospect near major league ready.  That prospect would head a package of 3 or 4 other prospects.  Other teams wouldn't give up that package, so Mullins wouldn't be traded.

I don’t think many teams are going to regard 70 games of excellent performance as convincing evidence that Mullins in the future consistently will be an all-star caliber player.  

Here is what the O's traded Manny for at the time of the trade.

Dodgers' farm system was ranked 10th in 2018.

Diaz, 21,   MLB Pipeline 84th prospect, Dodgers 4th prospect.

Kremer, 22, Not ranked by MLB Pipeline, Dodgers 27th prospect, 14th round pick 2016

Bannon, 22,  Not ranked by MLB Pipeline, Dodgers  28th Prospect, 8th round pick 2017

Pop, 21, Not ranked by MLB Pipeline,  Not ranked by Dodgers, 7th round pick 2017

Valera, 26, on the 40 man roster, cup of coffee with the Cards and Dodgers

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-traded-to-dodgers-c286340444

Would you trade Mullins for this level of prospects today?

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is what the O's traded Manny for at the time of the trade.

Dodgers' farm system was ranked 10th in 2018.

Diaz, 21,   MLB Pipeline 84th prospect, Dodgers 4th prospect.

Kremer, 22, Not ranked by MLB Pipeline, Dodgers 27th prospect, 14th round pick 2016

Bannon, 22,  Not ranked by MLB Pipeline, Dodgers  28th Prospect, 7th round pick 2017

Pop, 21, Not ranked by MLB Pipeline,  Not ranked by Dodgers, 7th round pick 2017

Valera, 26, on the 40 man roster, cup of coffee with the Cards and Dodgers

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-traded-to-dodgers-c286340444

Would you trade Mullins for this level of prospects today?

I would not. That was a bad deal at the time and it looks even worse now. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The early voting is always geared towards the big teams and players everyone knows.   The later voting is more knowledgeable.   In any event I expect Mullins to be named as a reserve.

Oh, I know.  The problem is - he is fighting for his life to just be among the top 9 to make it to the "more knowledgeable" voting.  He and Arozarena are neck-and-neck.  I think Arozarena has the advantage being on a winning team and on national TV much more often.

24 minutes ago, deward said:

I would not. That was a bad deal at the time and it looks even worse now. 

No it wasn’t.

The deal itself was fine.

What would make it a bad decision is if DD had other deals on the table where he could have gotten quality over quantity or something like that.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you would have kept him and took the pick?

I disagree with the quantity over quality approach to that deal. I would have looked for a better prospect than Diaz, even if it meant a smaller overall package, up to and including doing a one for one swap. If it came down to the deadline and Diaz was the best prospect on the table....then I guess I would have reluctantly pulled the trigger, but I wouldn't have been happy about it.

3 minutes ago, deward said:

I disagree with the quantity over quality approach to that deal. I would have looked for a better prospect than Diaz, even if it meant a smaller overall package, up to and including doing a one for one swap. If it came down to the deadline and Diaz was the best prospect on the table....then I guess I would have reluctantly pulled the trigger, but I wouldn't have been happy about it.

Wasn't a lot of teams that needed and could afford a Machado at that point in the season.  I don't think the O's would have been willing to pitch in for his salary.

Without information to the contrary I'm going to accept that Dan got the best deal he could.  Diaz was pretty highly regarded at one point.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No it wasn’t.

The deal itself was fine.

What would make it a bad decision is if DD had other deals on the table where he could have gotten quality over quantity or something like that.

The deal was fine only as an alternative to getting nothing. As value for a player of Machado's caliber, it was very disappointing. I wasn't sold on any of those players ever providing major league value at the time and nothing since then has made me feel more positive about it. If all of the deals on the table were as bad, then DD made a major miscalculation with the timing of when he put Manny on the market. 

Just now, deward said:

The deal was fine only as an alternative to getting nothing. As value for a player of Machado's caliber, it was very disappointing. I wasn't sold on any of those players ever providing major league value at the time and nothing since then has made me feel more positive about it. If all of the deals on the table were as bad, then DD made a major miscalculation with the timing of when he put Manny on the market. 

Machado wasn't cheap.

He was a rental.

You can't flip a 3 month rental into a first round pick like you could in the old days.  Very few players bring back a big return for a couple of months of service time.  There was a limited market for Machado.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't a lot of teams that needed and could afford a Machado at that point in the season.  I don't think the O's would have been willing to pitch in for his salary.

Without information to the contrary I'm going to accept that Dan got the best deal he could.  Diaz was pretty highly regarded at one point.

That would suggest that Duquette waited too long, no? I'm open to the possibility that the deal he got was the best available, but that's still a pretty disappointing return. Wasn't there legit concern at the time that Diaz would turn out not to have enough power for a corner OF spot?

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Preaching to the choir,here, but how is this guy not in the top three in voting?

Among AL outfielders, here's how Mullins ranks:

Hits (1)

2B (2)

3B (T2)

HR (T5)

RBI (20) - thanks to the bottom of this order

BA (2)

OBP (1)

SLG (1)

OPS (1)

XBH (1)

Total Bases (1)

WAR (1)

Because he's on an awful team that is 24th in attendance (8,692 at home and 4th worse drawing team away 10,844). The Orioles are a national after thought in MLB.