Knuckler Jannis Up, Sceroler DFA

Yardball85

12 hours ago, Explosivo said:

I put this on his kin Ben Macdonald. To me, this was a situation where Ben may have talked his cousin on to the team and by doing so talked Pop off the team. Never listen to Ben. He’s a meathead.

The takes keep getting worse and worse.  When can we get rid of him?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PeteCanes said:

Not many will be the next Wakefield.  Will be fun to watch the guy even if he gets hammered.

Will it? Why? Why is it going to be fun to watch a guy get his brains beat in no matter what he's throwing up there?

I'm not saying he's going to get his brains beat in anyways, but I just wasn't overly impressed with his knuckleball. He's a great story and love seeing a 33-year old guy get his first call up, and I'll be rooting for him, but I think he's a guy you can probably DFA pretty easily if it doesn't work at the major league level.

Either way, if he can at least eat innings with a sub 5 ERA he'll provide some value.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Will it? Why? Why is it going to be fun to watch a guy get his brains beat in no matter what he's throwing up there?

I'm not saying he's going to get his brains beat in anyways, but I just wasn't overly impressed with his knuckleball. He's a great story and love seeing a 33-year old guy get his first call up, and I'll be rooting for him, but I think he's a guy you can probably DFA pretty easily if it doesn't work at the major league level.

Either way, if he can at least eat innings with a sub 5 ERA he'll provide some value.

That's where I'm at on Jannis.  It's easy to pull for a guy who's labored so long in the minors who finally earned his shot.  If he can be the 2021 pitching version of 2004's David Newhan that would be great... but it's more likely we get 2005 David Newhan than 2004.  As Tony said, a sub 5 ERA in a rebuilding season will provide some value.  At the very least, he'll be fun to watch.  

4 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Not impressed with Jannis, his knuckleball had too much spin, but maybe that could partly be blamed on nerves. Have a hard time believing he managed an ERA under 3.00 at Norfolk throwing like that all the time. 

I think Jannis will get at least one more chance just to see if nerves got the best of him tonight. But I had a feeling he would be lights out or get lit up, and we got the latter. 

7 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Not impressed with Jannis, his knuckleball had too much spin, but maybe that could partly be blamed on nerves. Have a hard time believing he managed an ERA under 3.00 at Norfolk throwing like that all the time. 

Yeah he was spinning the ball and not knuckeling it up there.  It was like a dead fish and the Astros had no problem hitting the crap out of it.  

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think Jannis will get at least one more chance just to see if nerves got the best of him tonight. But I had a feeling he would be lights out or get lit up, and we got the latter. 

I wonder if we piggybacked Jannis and Valdez following Eshelman .....  just daydreaming!  ?

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Bummer debut for Jannis but still a big fan, perfecting the knuckleball is a long process.

One thing about knucklers: on the days the pitch isn’t working, the pitcher becomes extremely vulnerable.   Let’s hope yesterday was just one of those days for Jannis.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

First inning looked good. I think he got left to die out there because of the blowout. I mean he was pitching into his 4th inning which is a bit ridiculous.

I think in a normal game he's out as soon as he allows his first run.

I don't think he would have even been brought in in a "normal game".  He was brought up to be the last man in the pen, the role Sceroler had filled.  They guy who comes in when the win probability is already under 5% so he can't really hurt our chances.

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

First inning looked good. I think he got left to die out there because of the blowout. I mean he was pitching into his 4th inning which is a bit ridiculous.

I think in a normal game he's out as soon as he allows his first run.

Not sure I understand. He literally was brought up to be a long guy. He's here to try and eat innings in games just like this.