Moves I would like to see between now and July 31

Sports Guy

After initially opposing DJ because he looks like a buffoon on the field, I came around to support DJ, because he’s done some good things. Now I would like to get rid of him.  He has no trade value except as “damaged goods,” so maybe we could throw him in as a sweetener on a trade to a team that thinks they can fix him? I have no idea who that would be, but as Willie and Joe said when looking for replacements, “how about this one? He’s full of vitamins!” Stewart is healthy, if nothing else.

I would be happy to get rid of Franco, send him to the place where defense goes to die. For third, how about a non-prospect just as a reward for years of bus rides and Waffle House?

Sadly Santander has no value. Trade him and you trade his injury history too: like buying a shiny car with a salvage title. Not gonna happen.

His defense is reportedly awful but I’d be happy to see Jamai Jones just for the change of pace. How many DIFFERENT ways can we mess up a routine ground ball? Let’s find out!

Adley is not coming up but I’d love to see Cumberland or Hanley, whichever is the better defender.

But I sure hope we do SOMETHING meaningful, if for no other reason than we have to make Rule 5 decisions on a bunch of guys. Gotta find out who gets added, or we make more Zack Pop decisions.

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

His defense is reportedly awful but I’d be happy to see Jamai Jones just for the change of pace. How many DIFFERENT ways can we mess up a routine ground ball? Let’s find out!

But at least he can hit a little. Wilkerson/Valaika can't hit or field.

20 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

But at least he can hit a little. Wilkerson/Valaika can't hit or field.

Will has made some amazing plays, but he doesn’t seem to be consistent. But yeah, bring up Jones for 40-50 games and see what he can do. If he’s lousy, take him off the 40 and use his spot for someone better.

What I think we will see in July through Sept.

Trades

Galvis for a player in A Ball

DFAs

Matt Harvey, Franco, Valdez, Jannis

Sent to AAA

Wilkerson, Eshelman, Lakins

Recall/Promotions

Jones, Lowther, Diaz, Leyba, McKenna., Watkins, Dustin Knight, Urias

Team

C - Severino, Wynns

1B/DH - Mountcastle

2B/SS/3B -Urias

SS/2B/3B - Valaika

3B/SS/2B - Leyba

LF -  (Jones also plays some 2B) / (Hays on the IL for a while), Stewart

CF - Mullins

RF - McKenna,  (Santander on the IL for a while), Diaz

DH/1B - Mancini

SP - Means, Zimmermann, Kremer, T Wells, Lowther, (Lopez for a while then a RP) 

RP - Fry, H Harvey, Scott, Tate, Sulser, Akin, Plutko, Watkins, Dustin Knight, (A Wells at some point)

Promoted to AAA

Adley, Grayson, (month later DL),   Vavra, Dorrian, Rizer, Grenier, Blaine Knight, Vespi 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

What I think we will see in July through Sept.

Trades

Galvis for a player in A Ball

DFAs

Matt Harvey, Franco, Valdez, Jannis

Sent to AAA

Wilkerson, Eshelman, Lakins

Recall/Promotions

Jones, Lowther, Diaz, Leyba, McKenna., Watkins, Dustin Knight, Urias

Team

C - Severino, Wynns

1B/DH - Mountcastle

2B/SS/3B -Urias

SS/2B/3B - Valaika

3B/SS/2B - Leyba

LF -  (Jones also plays some 2B) / (Hays on the IL for a while), Stewart

CF - Mullins

RF - McKenna,  (Santander on the IL for a while), Diaz

DH/1B - Mancini

SP - Means, Zimmermann, Kremer, T Wells, Lowther, (Lopez for a while then a RP) 

RP - Fry, H Harvey, Scott, Tate, Sulser, Akin, Plutko, Watkins, Dustin Knight, (A Wells at some point)

Promoted to AAA

Adley, Grayson, (month later DL),   Vavra, Dorrian, Rizer, Grenier, Blaine Knight, Vespi 

I can’t comment on everything you’ve shared, although I’m grateful for your effort, but I must stress that Galvis is at the moment the worst defensive SS in baseball. He might be available for a PTBNL or Cash Considerations, but nobody is going to give anything meaningful for him. Any good team is going to have a better SS in their high minors, and if they need a SS, why in gods name would they want Galvis? And mediocre or worse teams don’t want him.

No disagreement on your DFA suggestions, except I think Severino is also going away. He’s just too bad, and doesn’t hit well enough to compensate.

Urias is yesterday’s news, if he was ever news at all. He’s not going anywhere but away.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

After initially opposing DJ because he looks like a buffoon on the field, I came around to support DJ, because he’s done some good things. Now I would like to get rid of him.  He has no trade value except as “damaged goods,” so maybe we could throw him in as a sweetener on a trade to a team that thinks they can fix him? I have no idea who that would be, but as Willie and Joe said when looking for replacements, “how about this one? He’s full of vitamins!” Stewart is healthy, if nothing else.

I would be happy to get rid of Franco, send him to the place where defense goes to die. For third, how about a non-prospect just as a reward for years of bus rides and Waffle House?

Sadly Santander has no value. Trade him and you trade his injury history too: like buying a shiny car with a salvage title. Not gonna happen.

Adley is not coming up but I’d love to see Cumberland or Hanley, whichever is the better defender.

But I sure hope we do SOMETHING meaningful, if for no other reason than we have to make Rule 5 decisions on a bunch of guys. Gotta find out who gets added, or we make more Zack Pop decisions.

Handley is batting 0.194 with a 0.645 OPS in A+.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Wyatt Mathisen?

Naturally any time the Rays remove someone from their 40-man, the world must genuflect at their awesomeness.   We have waiver priority, and maybe he would tell us how they coach him.

Today Franco's line has a lot of the same stuff as 2020, except if in games 60-71 he would have gone like 5-for-40, which I am sure would never happen.    I liked the move and thought it sound for what the 2021 Orioles are, but agree not really any need to see a second half.

Mathisen was just traded to the Mariners for cash.  

2 hours ago, Philip said:

You probably wanted to get rid of that young OF'er they had a couple of years ago who went 6 for 64 and got sent down to double A. Name was Mullins I think. Or that kid a few years ago who was hitting .216 at the all star break of his third season. I think his name was Mancini. Now am I saying DJ is going to turn into Mullins or Mancini? Highly unlikely but you never know. This is the time to find out - keep running him out there and see what happens. 

35 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

As a Mancini fan I hope he gets a chance to play for a playoff team. I hope he doesn't  waste his prime years in the O's rebuild.

Atlanta really needs a corner OFer with some power.  I think they'd put up with his mediocre defense.  

44 minutes ago, Philip said:

I can’t comment on everything you’ve shared, although I’m grateful for your effort, but I must stress that Galvis is at the moment the worst defensive SS in baseball. He might be available for a PTBNL or Cash Considerations, but nobody is going to give anything meaningful for him. Any good team is going to have a better SS in their high minors, and if they need a SS, why in gods name would they want Galvis? And mediocre or worse teams don’t want him.

No disagreement on your DFA suggestions, except I think Severino is also going away. He’s just too bad, and doesn’t hit well enough to compensate.

Urias is yesterday’s news, if he was ever news at all. He’s not going anywhere but away.

.727 OPS, 0.9 WAR.... I think he'll get you more than a PTBNL or cash.  I would think similar to what Iglesias got the O's over the offseason - a high teens/20s prospect and a lotto ticket. 

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

.727 OPS, 0.9 WAR.... I think he'll get you more than a PTBNL or cash.  I would think similar to what Iglesias got the O's over the offseason - a high teens/20s prospect and a lotto ticket. 

Don't even pay attention, it's part of Philip's shtick.   A month ago or so he said he'd like to trade Mountcastle but it was impossible because he "has no trade value"!

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Don't even pay attention, it's part of Philip's shtick.   A month ago or so he said he'd like to trade Mountcastle but it was impossible because he "has no trade value"!

No I know.  Phillip thinks a player's offensive value/potential is worth zero if said player does not play good defense.  Defense is obviously important, but the better a hitter is, the less important a defensive contribution is. 

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Handley is batting 0.194 with a 0.645 OPS in A+.

I did not know that, all I know is that he has a reputation for defensive excellence. OK I withdrawal my request for him and focus instead on Cumberland. However I think we can agree that Severino needs to go away.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This year, the trade deadline is set for July 30.  Once the deadline has passed, I am hoping to see a team full of young players.

Move I would like to see, in no particular order:

Trades:

-Trade Mancini to the Brewers.  In return, we receive MI prospect Brice Turang and Aaron Ashby.  Move 2:  Nevin brought up after Mancini is dealt.

- Paul Fry and Anthony Santander to the Indians for Bryan Rocchio, Daniel Espino, Logan Allen.

- Galvis to the A's for Grant Holmes and Hogan Harris

I would explore deals for Means and Mullins, especially Means (I feel he would be worth more right now).    Not saying I would definitely trade either one but I think there are a lot of deals out there, again especially for Means, that would make me say yes.  I am assuming for now they stay though,

Releases/DFA:

- Matt Harvey

- Pedro Severino

- Pat Valaika

Recalls/promotions:

- J Jones (or Vavra, who I like more but is currently hurt and likely not moved up yet)

- Adley

- Lowther

- Nevin

- Diaz

- Leyba

-McKenna

Team:

C- Rutschman

1st- Mouncastle

2nd- Jones (I know he isn't likely to stay here but I would like to see him there first)

SS- Leyba

3rd- Franco (assuming he can't be dealt)

LF- Hays

CF- Mullins

RF- Diaz

DH- Nevin/Stewart

Bench: Wynns, McKenna, Wilkerson, Nevin/Stewart (whoever isn't starting that day)

Rotation: Means, Zimmerman (when healthy of course), Lowther, Kremer, Akin

Bullpen: Lopez (moved into high leverage situations), Scott, Susler (if not traded, guessing limited market and not moving him but not blocking anyone and pitching well enough to keep), Wells, Tate, Plutko, Valdez or MiLer/trade target.  Valdez could be another DFA guy.

Last spot is probably another pitcher, perhaps Alex Wells if he keeps pitching well. I could see them wanting another guy who can pitch 3+ innings.

I would also consider Bradish as a guy to come up and start and push one of the other starters into the pen.

I like it.