Tuesday July 6: O's home from long road trip to face Jays with Spenser Watkins on the mound

SteveA

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I thought that might have hit the warehouse.  Damn, that was a shot.

I have been waiting for someone to hit the warehouse since the place opened. I remember everyone thinking that Sam Horn would be the first.  It’s hard to believe that it’s never happened in all of the games since 1992.  

2 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

I have been waiting for someone to hit the warehouse since the place opened. I remember everyone thinking that Sam Horn would be the first.  It’s hard to believe that it’s never happened in all of the games since 1992.  

If you go out and look around at the baseballs they have out there marking where shots have landed, there are some ones that have been close to hitting it.

IMO, it's not the distance necessary to hit it...it's the fact that the warehouse sits ABOVE the playing field, you've gotta hit it that much farther.

If someone hasn't hit it by now...I dunno, I don't think anyone's going to.  The steroid era has come and gone.  Baseballs inflated with helium have come and gone.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

If you go out and look around at the baseballs they have out there marking where shots have landed, there are some ones that have been close to hitting it.

IMO, it's not the distance necessary to hit it...it's the fact that the warehouse sits ABOVE the playing field, you've gotta hit it that much farther.

If someone hasn't hit it by now...I dunno, I don't think anyone's going to.  The steroid era has come and gone.  Baseballs inflated with helium have come and gone.  

The crazy thing is that they put in a bunch of shatter proof windows as if balls were going to be peppering the place all the time. I think that it will eventually happen.  I know that C. Davis and Ortiz have hit it several times during bp, as have several others.  

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe the next time baseball feels the need to juice baseballs again that coincides with  introduction of an undetectable PED. 

36 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hammaat01.shtml

Wonder if he got hurt in 84? Hung around awhile. I recall him still being on their playoff teams. 

I think it's more the injuries in the following years that were responsible.  

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/WHERE-ARE-THEY-NOW-Atlee-Hammaker-Ex-pitcher-2640128.php

A damaged body, that's another matter. Hammaker missed most of the 1984 season after having arthroscopic surgery on his rotator cuff and enduring bone spurs in his elbow. He missed all of the '86 season because of shoulder problems, surgery on both knees and a debilitating virus. 

I’ve been working, I was able to catch the first inning, which left me with a frown, coming back and seeing things have changed a bit has turned my frown upside down.

So, is Watkins a Mensch? He’s exactly the kind of guy I was wanting to see, even if he’s a non-prospect. Was he ranked in our top 30?

49 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

The crazy thing is that they put in a bunch of shatter proof windows as if balls were going to be peppering the place all the time. I think that it will eventually happen.  I know that C. Davis and Ortiz have hit it several times during bp, as have several others.  

Jay Gibbons hit it in a TV commercial