2021 Draft Thread

3 hours ago, interloper said:

They absolutely do not. Let's say one day the O's want to trade for a big time SP on a selling team. That team will take any 4 or 5 of our prospects as long as they are decently rated and talented guys. They don't have to be incredible, but that selling team is going to look for value and quantity and some quality. There's going to be one highlight top prospect player in the package surrounded by some decent prospects. When the O's are ready to make that trade, they will have a farm system full of guys like this. We'll trade a few and the farm won't even take a hit. 

This sounds like the Machado trade--trade a big time star for a bunch of okay prospects.  Unfortunately, Dan Duquette is out of baseball, so you can't count on another team being dumb enough to give up a stud starting pitcher for a bunch of okay prospects.   If we wanted to make a trade like this right now, teams would ask for Rutschman, Henderson or GrayRod.  We wouldn't get very far trying to trade a package headlined by Bradish and Stowers.  

Admittedly, I’m trying hard to look at things positively. I know not all college stats indicate pro success, but still, at the end of the day, we drafted 4 2nd team all-Americans (Cowser, Burns, Trimble, and Norby) in our first 7 picks.

That being said, I can only pray we go in hard on drafting pitching next year in our first ten picks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2021-06-16/college-baseball-awards-2021-ncbwa-division-i-all-america-teams-announced%3famp

Edited by shaggyjay

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

This sounds like the Machado trade--trade a big time star for a bunch of okay prospects.  Unfortunately, Dan Duquette is out of baseball, so you can't count on another team being dumb enough to give up a stud starting pitcher for a bunch of okay prospects.   If we wanted to make a trade like this right now, teams would ask for Rutschman, Henderson or GrayRod.  We wouldn't get very far trying to trade a package headlined by Bradish and Stowers.  

And, I should have mentioned, we would especially need to give up our top-end prospects if we wanted to get a stud starting pitcher who was under contract for 2-3 more seasons.  We might be able to get a rental for less, but that rental would never re-sign with the Orioles, so this is not a strategy for developing a contending team--at best it's a strategy for putting a team that's already contending over the top for one season.  

18 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

What are everyone's thoughts on some of the higher ranked guys still on the board? Do the Orioles take a chance on someone like Will Taylor or Chase Burns despite obvious signability concerns? Willems seems to be the only overslot guy so far so I would imagine there's still plenty of money to spare. I would love to see another high upside pick. 

If they wanted to draft any of the over slot high school players like Burns, Taylor, Montgomery, or Jump they would have already done so. I do not think they intend to spend their allotment again this year.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I don’t think that’s exactly what he’s saying, but that’s essentially what they did in 2019.  In rounds 11-20 they chose 8 pitchers.  

And those pitchers were...Kade Strowd, Dan Hammer, Kyle Martin, Shelton Perkins, Malachi Emond, Morgan McSweeney, Jensen Elliott and Clayton McGinness.   Not exactly a ringing endorsement for this strategy.  Your chances of getting a decent pitcher are much better if you pick them in earlier rounds.  

• Upvote 3

Two years in a row I just don't like an Elias draft.  Anyone could have taken AR in '19 and I'm actually kind of shocked now that he did.  Crap shoot.  Dart throw.  Yeah, sure, but still.  I will pull for these kids and hope for the best because they're ours now... but all the "trust the plan" stuff looks, man, I just don't know what that is.  I will never agree with passing up [potentially] elite talent or completely ignoring pitchers.  Bad stuff.

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Two years in a row I just don't like an Elias draft.  Anyone could have taken AR in '19 and I'm actually kind of shocked now that he did.  Crap shoot.  Dart throw.  Yeah, sure, but still.  I will pull for these kids and hope for the best because they're ours now... but all the "trust the plan" stuff looks, man, I just don't know what that is.  I will never agree with passing up [potentially] elite talent or completely ignoring pitchers.  Bad stuff.

Bullseye. Friendly reminder: Elias has never been a GM before and during his tenure much of his org’s success was under the guise of stealing signs. He also missed on 2 first round pitchers with Houston, hence why he is gun-shy with pitchers. Just because you missed, doesn’t mean you should ignore the most important facet of the game, just insanity. The blind allegiance to this guy is disturbing, likely why this org never improves, fan base just accepts poor decisions & dysfunction, winning orgs don't. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Bullseye. Friendly reminder: Elias has never been a GM before and during his tenure much of his org’s success was under the guise of stealing signs. He also missed on 2 first round pitchers with Houston, hence why he is gun-shy with pitchers. Just because you missed, doesn’t mean you should ignore the most important facet of the game, just insanity. The blind allegiance to this guy is disturbing, likely why this org never improves, fan base just accepts poor decisions & dysfunction, winning orgs don't. 

This post is 100% true. Everything good in Houston was because of other people. Everything bad was because of Elias. It’s fact.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

This post is 100% true. Everything good in Houston was because of other people. Everything bad was because of Elias. It’s fact.

Is that what I said? You would think he is a saint from many on here though. The same exact posters that said we couldn’t judge Joe Jordan for 5+ years after crap draft after crap draft saying the same now. Maybe actions and decisions are important? Maybe ignoring pitching in the top of the draft in a sport determined by great pitching might be poor judgement?

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz

At this point the only thing that makes sense is that Angelos told him not to spend the entire draft allotment, thus he goes underslot for almost every pick and takes a bunch of college guys with little leverage that will jump at the chance to be in a ML (sort of) system. The O's are no closer to contention in 2021 than they were in 2019