Ciolek comments on strategy re drafting pitchers

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

How long did the meeting last where they determined they should draft pitchers with good secondary pitches and those who K more than they BB?  

Did they crunch numbers for a while with that one or what?

It must have been like a modern day Manhattan Project.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

It got us a couple of warm bodies that folks here got unduly excited about.

Ahhh just looked it up. We got Zimmerman by trading the guy who’s the best pitcher on the best team in baseball. But we got rid of O’Day’s contract. ? 

not entirely sure why people are beefing here. You might have had a case for the top 2 Vandy guys Leiter and Rocker... but anything below that was gonna be a stretch. If you're playing the slot game... which seems to be the norm nowadays, why are you moaning over guys who are projects?

If you're looking for hope from mid round picks...

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Ahhh just looked it up. We got Zimmerman by trading the guy who’s the best pitcher on the best team in baseball. But we got rid of O’Day’s contract. ? 

In all fairness, Atlanta and Cincinnati also gave up on Gauman - the Braves losing him on waivers and the Reds non-tendering him.  SF was the winner - like they were with Lil Yaz.  

We got Brett Cumberland, Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Evan PhillipsBruce Zimmermann, and... international signing money.

5 hours ago, big_sparxx said:

not entirely sure why people are beefing here. You might have had a case for the top 2 Vandy guys Leiter and Rocker... but anything below that was gonna be a stretch. If you're playing the slot game... which seems to be the norm nowadays, why are you moaning over guys who are projects?

If you're looking for hope from mid round picks...

Even Rocker was such a huge risk that I understand not going that route. The wear and tear screams Dylan Bundy to me. I hate to say that because he was a special guy for a while there. I hope for his sake that he gets it back.

21 hours ago, joelala said:

Yea that’s the most generic, lip service statement I’ve read all day. 

Get used to it. Everyone under Elias really are not going to say too much and even Elias really doesn't give it a ton of information. They really believe everything they do is secretive including giving any information out about their minor leaguers.

At the end of the day, they have not drafted one pitcher that we can say absolutely looks like a big leaguer. That's probably because they don't start drafting them mostly until after the 10th round.

While teams like the Angels and Dodgers have loaded up on pitching, the Orioles are attempting to do the opposite.

Time will tell who is right.

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Get used to it. Everyone under Elias really are not going to say too much and even Elias really doesn't give it a ton of information. They really believe everything they do is secretive including giving any information out about their minor leaguers.

At the end of the day they have not drafted one pitcher that we can say absolutely looks like a big leaguer. That's probably because they don't start drafting them mostly after the 10th round.

While teams like the angels and Dodgers have loaded up on pitching, the orioles are attempting to do the opposite.

Time will tell who is right.

I understand wanting to maintain a level of secrecy so other FOs can’t predict how there going to behave, but  this comment was straight up patronizing. 

And yup, very curious to see how this all plays out. I do think he might feel these older arms are being undervalued in the market.