People are always picking on Pedro Severino, but…

Frobby

33 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

It would be interesting to know which starting pitchers each is catching because that would make a big difference.

At a minimum you'd need to divide the staff into segments of (a) Means, (b) Matt Harvey and (c) everyone else for this to mean anything.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but he should.

If that.

But if you give me the choice of paying one of the other two the minimum or Pedro 2M I'm going with one of the other two.  Or Maverick because I'd totally promote a glove only college guy if those are my choices.

1 hour ago, Gentile4 said:

It would be interesting to know which starting pitchers each is catching because that would make a big difference.

And you should add in runs scored from each catcher's passed balls, which are treated as unearned for ERA.

You can't easily quantify the effect of wild pitches while Pedro is catching that wouldn't have been wild pitches if someone else were catching, but I think we all know such an effect exists. [EDITED TO ADD THIS CUZ I JUST THOUGHT IF IT]

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but he should.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If that.

But if you give me the choice of paying one of the other two the minimum or Pedro 2M I'm going with one of the other two.  Or Maverick because I'd totally promote a glove only college guy if those are my choices.

If Severino is playing MLB baseball next year it's likely going to be at the veteran minimum. If Severino gets paid more then that the state of MLB catching is worse than I thought it was.