Tyler Wells to IL (Connor Greene Recalled)

Frobby

• Tony-OH changed the title to Tyler Wells to IL (Connor Greene Recalled)

Greene is an interesting guy to bring up. He's clearly a guy that can DFA'd once they need 40-man room but he sure has been a disappointment this year in Norfolk after having a real nice spring training. He does throw hard, but has only pitched once since June 26th. He's just an innings eater to be used in an emergency.

At least there is a some good news with Bruce Zimmermann starting his rehab down in the FCL.

I am instantly a Connor Greene fan. What an arm. Bromance, initiated. His Norfolk stats look dreadful, but damn, he's fun to watch, and hell, 98 with movement. I'll take seconds, thanks.

Tempered in my enthusiasm, I remember Mike Wright's first two starts, and more eerily, I remember being at a game early in Mark Kroon's (Padres) career thinking the same thing. 

Man, am I easy to impress and entertain these days. 

9 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

I am instantly a Connor Greene fan. What an arm. Bromance, initiated. His Norfolk stats look dreadful, but damn, he's fun to watch, and hell, 98 with movement. I'll take seconds, thanks.

Tempered in my enthusiasm, I remember Mike Wright's first two starts, and more eerily, I remember being at a game early in Mark Kroon's (Padres) career thinking the same thing. 

Man, am I easy to impress and entertain these days. 

He threw today like he did this spring. Not sure what happened to him in Norfolk. Not a lot of consistent work down there and definitely not a lot of success. I liked him in the spring and then he just imploded in AAA. Not sure they can DFA that arm though now. Anderson has to go before him.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He threw today like he did this spring. Not sure what happened to him in Norfolk. Not a lot of consistent work down there and definitely not a lot of success. I liked him in the spring and then he just imploded in AAA. Not sure they can DFA that arm though now. Anderson has to go before him.

I hope so, not that Anderson has a bad arm, but it isn’t up to 98 and certainly doesn’t have the command. 

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I hope so, not that Anderson has a bad arm, but it isn’t up to 98 and certainly doesn’t have the command. 

Eshleman and Mattson are two guys that could go before either of them.

Gutierre and Leyba could also be DFA'd nd we probably wouldn't lose either.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Eshleman and Mattson are two guys that could go before either of them.

Gutierre and Leyba could also be DFA'd nd we probably wouldn't lose either.

Long since time for Eshelman to go. Haven’t seen enough of Mattson to make a determination, but I’m sure you have. Nothing there?

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Long since time for Eshelman to go. Haven’t seen enough of Mattson to make a determination, but I’m sure you have. Nothing there?

I'm not impressed with the stuff. Looks like a time a dozen AAAA reliever to me. Shake a minor league tree and 8 more Mattson's fall out.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Like Ridgway said, he was a ton of fun to watch yesterday, and he certainly looked like he has the stuff and intellect to be successful.  I'm guessing it's just a matter of him being consistent and channeling his energy in a positive way.    

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure if that's hyperbole or not, but if it's not, please tell me the 10-15 guys you would DFA before Green?

Well whether or not you would DFa them before Greene or not isnt my point..just that general point that we have that many guys you could DFA and it not matter and probably wouldn’t lose them.

Greene, Eshelman, Anderson, Plutko, Wynns, Bannon, Gutierrez, Leyba, Valaika  and Martin are all guys you could easily DFA and it not matter.  Probably can add Watkins and Valdez to that list and a guy like Stewart is approaching that status as well although I probably would give him the whole season before thinking about doing that.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well whether or not you would DFa them before Greene or not isnt my point..just that general point that we have that many guys you could DFA and it not matter and probably wouldn’t lose them.

Greene, Eshelman, Anderson, Plutko, Wynns, Bannon, Gutierrez, Leyba, Valaika  and Martin are all guys you could easily DFA and it not matter.  Probably can add Watkins and Valdez to that list and a guy like Stewart is approaching that status as well although I probably would give him the whole season before thinking about doing that.

But that wasn't what we were talking about. I agree though, there are alot of guys still on this 40-man that could be DFA'd without any concern for the future, but I would guess most last place teams you could say the same thing about. 

As for Greene, I don't know what to think. He was really good this spring and looked good last night except for the fact he threw five different pitches in two innings of work. He seems like a guy who could do very well with that fastball and changeup and an occasional slider. For the life of me i can't understand what happened in AAA. Why was he used so infrequently? Why was he stretched out over three and four innings or more when he might have some value for a two innings like last night?

I really have questions with the development in the minor leagues right now when comes to some pitcher's usage as well as well as the  positional jumping around of actual prospects.