Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

Perfectly happy to trade Tanner Scott.  

I don't see Mancini being moved, which would probably be something we should do...given of course, it's a good return.  

I think we make a couple deals with middling returns.  I don't think Elias trades any of the valuable chips (Mancini, Mullins, Means) that we have this year.

It's also laughable that 5/25 of the roster is essentially untradable.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Perfectly happy to trade Tanner Scott.  

I don't see Mancini being moved, which would probably be something we should do...given of course, it's a good return.  

I think we make a couple deals with middling returns.  I don't think Elias trades any of the valuable chips (Mancini, Mullins, Means) that we have this year.

It's also laughable that 5/25 of the roster is essentially untradable.  

It also signals something I have been saying..the rebuild is over.  Sure there are guys we can trade, there always will be and a guy like Santander really hurt us this year (who could have predicted that?!?) but the reality is the guys we have now are guys you likely want to keep and help with winning.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah, I'd probably have Baltimore on my no trade list, too.  Especially If I'm (or was, in this case) a respectable player who's won some stuff in my career.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It also signals something I have been saying..the rebuild is over.  Sure there are guys we can trade, there always will be and a guy like Santander really hurt us this year (who could have predicted that?!?) but the reality is the guys we have now are guys you likely want to keep and help with winning.  

You might be right, it's a logical thought.  I think the only ILLOGICAL thing that they could do is NOT trade Mancini this year because of his story and what he means to the team....and then trade him next year, shortly before he goes to free agency.  While he's a really good dude who wants to be here, do that guy a favor and let him go play in a pennant race.  

I'd have to be blown away to trade Mullins, I don't disagree with that...the dude keeps hitting but I can't help it, there's still a small, small part of me that's wondering if he can do this again next year and that selling high right now would be a strong move.

Same for Means, too.  I'd be a lot more closer to trading those guys than I think many others would be.  I wouldn't be actively shopping them but I'd also let it be known that I wouldn't mind seeing offers come in.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It is a tough decision because the fans, teammates, coaches and pretty much everyone loves Mancini. But the honest truth is he doesn't fit into this rebuild especially since his replacement (Mountcastle) is here. 

The return is the key. You don't give Mancini away nor do your dump him in an obvious salary dump this offesason. The other thing is I would love to see him have a chance to win a World Series while he still good, and his skill set is one that generally begins to fall off in the early 30s. Let's face it, Elias knows this and he's not exactly known for making heart string moves. My guess is if a team offers up at least one top ten prospect and a couple of other 10-20 types, Mancini will be moved.

I think this is the obvious player that should get moved.  I love him and my son loves him, but its best for all parties.  They should be able to get out in front of the story and handle any PR hit.  Simply sell it as giving Trey a chance to win.  Seems like a no brainer - can't make emotional decisions.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm and excitement over the prospects of having a solid team playing in Baltimore.  Phase 1 of the rebuild is almost over.  Phase 2 will be occurring over the next ~3-5 years.  Phase 3 (final phase)or the rebuild will be in 5-10 years when half of the surnames on the 40 man roster are latin based.  Buckle up, it's going to be a long and bumpy ride.  

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I'd probably have Baltimore on my no trade list, too.  Especially If I'm (or was, in this case) a respectable player who's won some stuff in my career.  

You might be right, it's a logical thought.  I think the only ILLOGICAL thing that they could do is NOT trade Mancini this year because of his story and what he means to the team....and then trade him next year, shortly before he goes to free agency.  While he's a really good dude who wants to be here, do that guy a favor and let him go play in a pennant race.  

I'd have to be blown away to trade Mullins, I don't disagree with that...the dude keeps hitting but I can't help it, there's still a small, small part of me that's wondering if he can do this again next year and that selling high right now would be a strong move.

Same for Means, too.  I'd be a lot more closer to trading those guys than I think many others would be.  I wouldn't be actively shopping them but I'd also let it be known that I wouldn't mind seeing offers come in.  

I have zero issue moving Mullins but I tend to believe teams need to see more from Him before they buy into him.

They could trade him but you likely can’t get enough to trade him right now.

Means is probably in the same boat, especially because of health but he has at least been an AS and good in the past.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We've gotten rid of most of the veteran players with value. I agree that the teardown part of the rebuild is over (Mancini being one exception, plus Davis's contract). However, I don't think it is as simple as flipping a switch. I don't think it's over until we are playing at least .500 baseball with an identifiable core of talent that we expect to be under control for another 3-4 years. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

We've gotten rid of most of the veteran players with value. I agree that the teardown part of the rebuild is over (Mancini being one exception, plus Davis's contract). However, I don't think it is as simple as flipping a switch. I don't think it's over until we are playing at least .500 baseball with an identifiable core of talent that we expect to be under control for another 3-4 years. 

But the core is here or about to be here.  Either way we have is the core or we won’t contend.  It’s really that simple.  

It’s time to build around what we have and that includes trades and FA signings.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have zero issue moving Mullins but I tend to believe teams need to see more from Him before they buy into him.

They could trade him but you likely can’t get enough to trade him right now.

Means is probably in the same boat, especially because of health but he has at least been an AS and good in the past.

Agree, I think Means and Mullins are one year away from being at top value. Means because of his health and Mullins needs to prove over more than one year.