Colton Cowser 2021

Tony-OH

On 9/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I still see Cowser getting to Aberdeen this year. Especially with the Deson promotion. I also think Cowser gets 75 ABs in the AFL and starts next year at Bowie. I’m hoping Kjerstad just DHs at Delmarva on OD. 

The probability of any 2021 draftees going to to the AFL is close to zero. 

35 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The probability of any 2021 draftees going to to the AFL is close to zero. 

That’s probably right, but I recall that Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz were both sent to the AFL the same year we drafted them.  In both cases, they had signed very late and didn’t pitch during the regular MiL season the year they were drafted.

8 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Is there any concern there is very few homeruns so far? I love the BA, but 2 homeruns total for this advance hitter.

I’d rather dream of Cowser leading off for the O’s with Mullins going 30/30/100 rbi behind him in the 2 or 3 hole! ?

BTW: Sal Frelich has been in Brewers A+ for 10 games and is being challenged, (OPS:580) after tearing up rookie(4 gms. 1.196) & A (16 games 1.085).  Frelich also only has 2 minor league HR’s.  Psychologically I think you should challenge Cowser before the season ends.  Move him up!

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see him start at Bowie next year and I think it's a 50/50 on it happening.   First reason, he's obviously ready for a higher level and based on his numbers in low A, you could make a great case for skipping A+.   Secondly, the Aberdeen OF is going to be super crowded next year.  Do you release Sparks and/or Cespedes, move them up to Bowie, or keep them at Aberdeen?   The Bowie outfield will definitely have room.   You might have Rizer and/or Watson returning.  You might have Sparks and/or Cespedes but it's impossible to argue that there is any problem fitting Cowser in there.    The opposite will happen at Aberdeen.    I would imagine that Haskins returns to start next year at Aberdeen.   That makes the most sense for him and your probably want him in CF for now.   Donta Williams and John Rhodes, while not tearing up Delmarva, have shown an advanced approach and likely should start at Aberdeen as well.    So, I've got Williams, Haskins, and Rhodes, not even taking into account the possible return of Sparks there.   Then you've also got Billy Cook who is 22 years old and showing enough to be involved in that rotation in Aberdeen.     You still have plenty of outfielders to cover Delmarva with Trimble, Heston Kjerstad, Trendon Craig, Mishael Deson, and possibly Stiven Acevedo.    I think it's partly a numbers game and partly a talent game.   I think there's a good chance Cowser gets bumped up to Bowie to start next year.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Is there any concern there is very few homeruns so far? I love the BA, but 2 homeruns total for this advance hitter.

Personally, I'm not concerned, no.

As long as he has a good approach, gets on base at a good clip and plays good defense, I don't care how much power he hits for.  

I understand the importance power plays in todays game but if he can hit a lot of doubles, those will probably turn into homers as he gets stronger.  But if he can get on base at .380+, I don't care how many he hits over the fence.  

• Upvote 4

It's not a big concern yet but of course you want to see some power at some point.    Right now, I'm happy to see what I see and I have seen some video of him really turning on some balls and pulling them with authority so it's not like he's slapping the ball the other way.   I would be surprised if this guy isn't a at least a 20+ homer guy in the big leagues.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It's not a big concern yet but of course you want to see some power at some point.    Right now, I'm happy to see what I see and I have seen some video of him really turning on some balls and pulling them with authority so it's not like he's slapping the ball the other way.   I would be surprised if this guy isn't a at least a 20+ homer guy in the big leagues.

I'll settle for a Markakis comp when he gets to the majors.  Markakis never hit 30 HR.  Did he even hit 25?  If Cowser hits lots of doubles, has a .350+ OBP, hits the occasional HR with gold glove defense, I'll be happy. 

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'd like to see him start at Bowie next year and I think it's a 50/50 on it happening.   First reason, he's obviously ready for a higher level and based on his numbers in low A, you could make a great case for skipping A+.   Secondly, the Aberdeen OF is going to be super crowded next year.  Do you release Sparks and/or Cespedes, move them up to Bowie, or keep them at Aberdeen?   The Bowie outfield will definitely have room.   You might have Rizer and/or Watson returning.  You might have Sparks and/or Cespedes but it's impossible to argue that there is any problem fitting Cowser in there.    The opposite will happen at Aberdeen.    I would imagine that Haskins returns to start next year at Aberdeen.   That makes the most sense for him and your probably want him in CF for now.   Donta Williams and John Rhodes, while not tearing up Delmarva, have shown an advanced approach and likely should start at Aberdeen as well.    So, I've got Williams, Haskins, and Rhodes, not even taking into account the possible return of Sparks there.   Then you've also got Billy Cook who is 22 years old and showing enough to be involved in that rotation in Aberdeen.     You still have plenty of outfielders to cover Delmarva with Trimble, Heston Kjerstad, Trendon Craig, Mishael Deson, and possibly Stiven Acevedo.    I think it's partly a numbers game and partly a talent game.   I think there's a good chance Cowser gets bumped up to Bowie to start next year.

Doesn't sound like Elias.    He is more likely to put Cowser at A+ for a month or so and then promote him to Bowie if he earns it.  Rotate the OFer at DH.   Cook could start the 2022 at Delmarva and be called up when his averages are higher.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1