Austin Hays platoon splits

ChuckS

2021 vs. LHP .311 .345 .544

2021 vs. RHP .192 .261 .360

Career OPS vs. LHP is .757 versus .716 against RHP.  Not as pronounced.  I think we need to see another full season of at bats before we declare him a platoon player but with potential left handed mashers coming up through the system (Stowers, Neustrom, Cowser) we could see Hays end up a RH platoon guy and late inning defensive replacement before we know it.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is what these last eight weeks are about.  Both Hays and Santander have to hit.  Otherwise other players are going to pass them.

Neither player has shown that they can stay healthy.  We've really yet to see Hays hit at the major league level and even his last year in the minors was underwhelming with the bat. 

Santander is another story.  He's playing with a hurt ankle and I believe it's effecting his batting as well as his defense.   I'm more optimistic that he can hit when healthy and hopefully we see that next year and he can build some trade value so that we can deal him at the deadline for some much needed pitching. 

Neustrom could be in contention for a corner spot next spring but I suspect that Stowers and Neustrom start next year at Norfolk giving Santander and Hays a couple of months to perform and hold onto their jobs.   Assuming Stowers and Neustrom peform well at Norfolk then we finally get into the type of situation you want.    Of course, what are the odds that Hays and Santander are 1) both healthy and 2) performing well?

Hays has been very disappointing.  In the few time I've seen him the swing looks geared to pulling the ball.

• Like 1

If Stowers keeps hitting the way he as been he should make AAA this season.  Then he is line for a call to the majors any time. Neustrom should enter ST with a good shot to replace Stewart as the 4th or 5th OF. Depending on injuries and non performance he could be in the starting lineup.

45 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

2021 vs. LHP .311 .345 .544

2021 vs. RHP .192 .261 .360

Career OPS vs. LHP is .757 versus .716 against RHP.  Not as pronounced.  I think we need to see another full season of at bats before we declare him a platoon player but with potential left handed mashers coming up through the system (Stowers, Neustrom, Cowser) we could see Hays end up a RH platoon guy and late inning defensive replacement before we know it.  

In the minors:

2017 .833 v. RHP, 1.133 v. LHP

2018: .643 v. RHP, .828 v. LHP

2019: .865 v. RHP, .622 v. LHP

2020 in the majors: .720 vs. RHP, .729 vs. LHP

It’s kind of been all over the lot.   Many players are like that, they fluctuate year to year but have relatively normal splits in the aggregate.   So, I’m a long way from concluding that Hays is a platoon player.   

At the same time, there’s no doubt that Neustrom and Stowers are rising fast.   If they continue to progress and Hays stagnates as a sub-.750 OPS guy, he’s going to be looking over his shoulder early next year.  

I’m a big Hays fan and believe he’ll eventually be an above average major league hitter.  But, he certainly has yet to prove it.   For now I’m just hoping he stays healthy the rest of the way, and we’ll see what happens.   

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Hays is solid defensively. If anyone is getting their job taken it should be Santander. 

At least according to outs above average they're basically the same. Santander is at -3 OAA and Hays at -2. Though I suppose Hays is a better center fielder than Santander, so there's that

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

At least according to outs above average they're basically the same. Santander is at -3 OAA and Hays at -2. Though I suppose Hays is a better center fielder than Santander, so there's that

I think in both cases the players have been hobbled a bit and that has hurt their range numbers.   I do think Hays is the better of the two when they’re both healthy.   But Santander’s no slouch.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I think in both cases the players have been hobbled a bit and that has hurt their range numbers.   I do think Hays is the better of the two when they’re both healthy.   But Santander’s no slouch.   

Yeah, I remember UZR, or some other advanced defense statistic, really liking Santander's D last year

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Stowers keeps hitting the way he as been he should make AAA this season.  Then he is line for a call to the majors any time. Neustrom should enter ST with a good shot to replace Stewart as the 4th or 5th OF. Depending on injuries and non performance he could be in the starting lineup.

If Neustrom doesn't take a starting job next spring, it's very doubtful they would keep him as a 4th or 5th outfielder.   They'd want him getting consistent AB's in Norfolk, ready for a callup to take a starting position.

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, I remember UZR, or some other advanced defense statistic, really liking Santander's D last year

He got nominated for the Gold Glove despite being a relative unknown and playing only 37 of 60 games.  I know GG nominations often seem arbitrary but considering those limitations, he obviously made a good impression and had some numbers to back it up.   He really hasn’t looked the part this year, though.