Your 2022 FA Wish List

Il BuonO

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Close.   The money has to be put into an escrow account 18 months after the year it’s earned, at a discount that recognizes the money will be invested and grow (I think they assume 5%) until the time when it’s payable.   So, the O’s will still be paying funds into escrow until 2024, 18 months after the 2022 season ends.  Then, if the money grows to in excess of what’s due by the time it’s payable, the team gets to keep the excess, but if the escrowed money isn’t enough to fund what’s due, the team remains on the hook for the additional amount.   That’s my understanding.   

That's what was actually crazy about the Bonilla deal, the assumed discount rate for the deferrals, not just that they paid him for a long-time into the future.

7 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

That's what was actually crazy about the Bonilla deal, the assumed discount rate for the deferrals, not just that they paid him for a long-time into the future.

Yes, they did that at a time of very high inflation, and agreed to pay him based on then-current value but assumed growth that was way out of whack, IIRC.

I would like to think there will be major league FA spending this winter for the O's.  The needs are pretty obvious.  I also think there could be some financial dealings regarding our current roster.  I won't say we have to spend $, but I expect a more competitive roster.  Trades, extensions, call ups, FA...I really don't care.  Just do better.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, they did that at a time of very high inflation, and agreed to pay him based on then-current value but assumed growth that was way out of whack, IIRC.

I thought a big part of it was in part due to the returns they were (supposedly) able to get on holding the cash over time, driven by a star money manager ownership was investing with (you may have heard of him).

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think it's black and white. I said above I'd be in favor of signing Semien. However, I understand the logic of waiting until we are more competitive. Than again, I have already been called an apologist once today :)

I appreciate your views and the logic you use in coming to them.  It wouldn't be as much fun if this was an echo chamber.  ?    

Correa and a trade for Price make sense. 

Means, Grod, Price, Zimmerman, Baumann/Hall/Kremer/Bradish

Harvey, Scott, Tate, Fry, Sulser, Wells, Tate, Lopez

Mullins, Correa, Rutschman, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Hays, Urias, Martin

Mateo, McKenna, Stewart, Leyba

I could watch that team. 

18 hours ago, foxfield said:

I would like to think there will be major league FA spending this winter for the O's.  The needs are pretty obvious.  I also think there could be some financial dealings regarding our current roster.  I won't say we have to spend $, but I expect a more competitive roster.  Trades, extensions, call ups, FA...I really don't care.  Just do better.

Based on the past I think you are going to be disappointed 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mullins, Correa, Rutschman, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Hays, Urias, Martin

I could watch that team. 

I am close to this with some tweaking.  

It will change by the end of the season.

I think the O's need to add a 3B.

Means, Grayson, Baumann, Tyler Wells, Zimmermann with Watkins in the pen as a backup starter and DL Hall coming in July.  The rotation would still be short probably 3 starters in AAA for depth.  Need to see how the rest of the season goes.

Sulser, Fry, Scott, Tate, Lopez, Watkins, need more.

1B-Mountcastle, DH- Mancini,  C- Adley,  CF- Mullins

(Need to watch Martin, Urias and Mateo for two more months for middle infield)

Need to add a 3B

OF corners- who ever hits out of Hays, Santander, Neustrom and  Stowers

44 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sure seems like that is true.  Any ideas why he would do that?

Saving money is certainly part of the answer.  Trade and/or let all of the existing big contracts expire, fill the next good team with as many org/controlled/cheap players as possible.  Selling the team still seems like a real possibility.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:19 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I could watch that team. 

The chance of the O's signing a player to a 250-300 million contract like Correa will command are extremely small.  To use a mathematical term, approaching zero.