Your 2022 FA Wish List

Il BuonO

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Pretty weak class outside of the SS market.  The trade market is where the team will need to attack imo.

I would rather see us spend money on the FA market than give up prospects.  We will have tons of payroll flexibility in the coming years due to our young roster and Davis coming off the books after 2022 (besides the deferred money).  One of the young SS on the market should still be in their prime when we’re competing again. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Chris Taylor would be a good addition, but with the year he's having I don't think Taylor will be in the Orioles price range. 

Sure, which is the whole issue.

It doesn’t mean you can’t find production from undervalued talent but when higher priced talent is risky that says it all. 

1 minute ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I would rather see us spend money on the FA market than give up prospects.  We will have tons of payroll flexibility in the coming years due to our young roster and Davis coming off the books after 2022 (besides the deferred money).  One of the young SS on the market should still be in their prime when we’re competing again. 

We will have payroll flexibility but we will also have an overrun of similar prospects that could be moved.  We have some MIers, starters and OFers that will start to become redundant and/or lose value because they get lost in the shuffle.

I am not saying we are getting back top guys for these players but teams looking to unload some contracts of decent players or using these guys as pieces 2, 3 and maybe 4 is the way to go for me.

I don't really see anyone I am dying to have in free agency unless the market is still down this offseason and guys can be had for less than I think.

Joelala mentioned Jon Gray.  He is probably the most realistic starting pitching upgrade FA we could expect in terms of guys that will get paid for multi years at a decent salary.  Not saying he would sign here but I don't think the demand will be so high for him that it would be difficult to get him signed for a reasonable contract.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Joelala mentioned Jon Gray.  He is probably the most realistic starting pitching upgrade FA we could expect in terms of guys that will get paid for multi years at a decent salary.  Not saying he would sign here but I don't think the demand will be so high for him that it would be difficult to get him signed for a reasonable contract.

Word is Rockies want to keep him.  

A team that's been one of the worst in baseball for five seasons who plays their home games in a bandbox in the toughest division probably in sports. I think Matt Harvey is about the limit to what will be available to this club in pitching free agents. 

Speaking in broad terms need 

2 SP 

1 RP  not a necessity but a Luis Ayala type 

3rd

SS 

C - cheap vet replaces Sevy until Adley 

I think Urias can cover 2nd for now. Martin is perhaps a utility player. Rest of positron players are covered. A cheap vet at C. 

3rd base is hard to watch right now. It’s awful. SS may be easier to fill like this year with Galvis. 

1 minute ago, vab said:

A team that's been one of the worst in baseball for five seasons who plays their home games in a bandbox in the toughest division probably in sports. I think Matt Harvey is about the limit to what will be available to this club in pitching free agents. 

To an extent this is true but it’s not like Harvey was even making regular starts last couple of years. 

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Rich Hill, Michael Wacha, Collin McHugh, Chris Archer.  A really old guy and guys who used to be good but aren't anymore.

So maybe Ervin Santana, Chase Anderson, and JA Happ?

I don’t see Hill wanting to come here. The other 3 make sense. That type of pitcher signing is more realistic. 

It doesn’t take a genius to see that the team has been more competitive as of late with Harvey and Watkins pitching better. A 5 ERA staff is much different than one at 6.50. Both suck but it leads to more competitive play and less damage to pen.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

I don’t see Hill wanting to come here. The other 3 make sense. That type of pitcher signing is more realistic. 

It doesn’t take a genius to see that the team has been more competitive as of late with Harvey and Watkins pitching better. A 5 ERA staff is much different than one at 6.50. Both suck but it leads to more competitive play and less damage to pen.  

No, my first paragraph was the guys Tampa signed LAST offseason, in relation to Drungo's comment that we will probalby emulate Tampa.

The second paragraph is where i listed guys this year that might fit that mold.

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mickey Tettleton, Randy Milligan and Joe Orsulak going back to the late 80's and early 90's  

Hemond really did a masterful job of rebuilding the position player lineup.

He is remembered more for his Murray and Davis trades but overall he played a role in building some solid teams from 92-97.  Of course 89. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No, my first paragraph was the guys Tampa signed LAST offseason, in relation to Drungo's comment that we will probalby emulate Tampa.

The second paragraph is where i listed guys this year that might fit that mold.

Oh misunderstood. That said I like those names. They will be available again. McHugh has been good but hurt.