Rylan Bannon 2021

Just Regular

When he got his AAA month, it looks like all 20 games were at 3B, leaving behind what had been more of an even 2B/3B mix as he'd climbed the ladder.

Even at Bowie before the AAA cup of coffee in 2019, his 2B time fell well below 50%.

Are the IF job battles as simple as Ruiz v. Bannon, and Urias v. Sanchez, maybe without a lot of bouncing back and forth around the infield?

Valaika had about a 50/50 split between 1B/OF and 2B/3B last year when he wasn't covering for Iglesias.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

When he got his AAA month, it looks like all 20 games were at 3B, leaving behind what had been more of an even 2B/3B mix as he'd climbed the ladder.

Even at Bowie before the AAA cup of coffee in 2019, his 2B time fell well below 50%.

Are the IF job battles as simple as Ruiz v. Bannon, and Urias v. Sanchez, maybe without a lot of bouncing back and forth around the infield?

Valaika had about a 50/50 split between 1B/OF and 2B/3B last year when he wasn't covering for Iglesias.

Last I heard the O's want Bannon at 2B but he begins the season at AAA.

2B battle is Sanchez, Valaika and Urias IMO.

3B Sanchez, Valaika, Ruiz and they made re-sign Alberto vs lefties

Sanchez backs up SS. And Martin at AAA.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Where are you seeing that?  He’s never hit .238.

Yea not sure what Phillip thinks he saw and obviously no minor leaguers played “last” year but I assume he meant 2019.  I was surprised to see how much better he did in his SSS at Norfolk than Bowie.   Looks like he was walking a little less, maybe swinging the bat a little more, with a surge of confidence from the promotion?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=bannon000ryl

2 minutes ago, murph said:

Yea not sure what Phillip thinks he saw and obviously no minor leaguers played “last” year but I assume he meant 2019.  I was surprised to see how much better he did in his SSS at Norfolk than Bowie.   Looks like he was walking a little less, maybe swinging the bat a little more, with a surge of confidence from the promotion?

TTA1810-Super-Ball-03-1000x1000.jpg

3 hours ago, murph said:

Maybe, or maybe the book wasn't out on him yet like it was in Double-A? Guess we'll find out.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

TTA1810-Super-Ball-03-1000x1000.jpg

Could be the AAA ball.   I understand it’s too small a sample to think anything of it.   Just was pleased with the slash line.   I sure hope we have a full minor league season this year so we can see what all of the youngsters have! 

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Whoever it is over at third, it can’t be Ruiz.

Leaving him there as a starter would be the laziest and dumbest decision of the offseason.

I think it is likely Ruiz at 3B, at least for the first few months. Valaika should probably get a shot there, but unless Ruiz shows up in poor shape or has a terrible Spring, I think it is him. Ruiz is likely on his last chance with Baltimore. He does have an option. He is a guy that has a confidence problem, and maybe getting some time at AAA would do him some good. That said, if Ruiz was DFA’d, I would not be surprised. 

Bannon is 5’-07” and Elias has stated he wants to see him at 2B. I am not against him at 3B, but I do want to see what he does in AAA for half a season. I think he would be more valuable long term at 2B, unless he shows he cannot handle 2B defensively. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Whoever it is over at third, it can’t be Ruiz.

Leaving him there as a starter would be the laziest and dumbest decision of the offseason.

I think if you make a statement like that you need to back it up with some specific alternatives you think are easy to achieve.   

And don’t say just hand the job to Bannon.   To me, that’s a lazy statement.    Bannon has played 20 AAA games and his resume wasn’t strong enough to even bring him to the alternate camp.   I’m not saying he shouldn’t get a hard look in spring training and have a chance to win a job, but you don’t just give him the job because he’s not Rio Ruiz.    

• Upvote 2