Mountcastle off Concussion List, McKenna optioned

SteveA

McKenna hit a 2 run HR to oppo field last night. 89 mph slider off Ray. 

https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-mckenna-homers-2-on-a-fly-ball-to-right-center-field-austin-hays-sco?t=most-popular

Play the guy. He’s been on a homer streak for the last month. Let’s see if something clicked. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-mckenna-homers-2-on-a-fly-ball-to-right-center-field-austin-hays-sco?t=most-popular

Play the guy. He’s been on a homer streak for the last month. Let’s see if something clicked. 

McKenna also has 11 home runs in 101 at bats playing for Norfolk this year. 

I agree keep playing him and while he might not be an everyday player, McKenna could be a valuable fourth outfielder. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 1:32 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

And after beating the drum for McKenna, they have played him everyday since that homer on 9/11. He’s gone 3-28, with 14k/3BB

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

And after beating the drum for McKenna, they have played him everyday since that homer on 9/11. He’s gone 3-28, with 14k/3BB

A lot of swing and miss which he also showed down in Norfolk despite strong numbers there.    He's got tools!

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A lot of swing and miss which he also showed down in Norfolk despite strong numbers there.    He's got tools!

Here’s hoping he can pull a Mullins. He doesn’t have the milb track record Mullins did, except for this year’s SSS in AAA. He’s got to fix the swing and miss, and contact hit tool. I still think he can be a cheap 4th/5th OF for us. Like a prime version of Craig Gentry or maybe even Sam Fuld for the Rays. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s hoping he can pull a Mullins. He doesn’t have the milb track record Mullins did, except for this year’s SSS in AAA. He’s got to fix the swing and miss, and contact hit tool. I still think he can be a cheap 4th/5th OF for us. Like a prime version of Craig Gentry or maybe even Sam Fuld for the Rays. 

Craig Gentry is a pretty good comp.

17 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s just no bat speed with McKenna. Any FB over 92, he can’t catch unless he’s starting his swing without knowing it’s FB. He’s just not a ML hitter. 

24 minutes ago, waroriole said:

There’s just no bat speed with McKenna. Any FB over 92, he can’t catch unless he’s starting his swing without knowing it’s FB. He’s just not a ML hitter. 

Exactly what I'm seeing. Love the guys tools, but doesn't appear to be able catch up to major league heat. Unfortunately. reminding me of Sisco

Again, I'm far from a hitting expert but no comparison between Sisco and Mckenna's bat speed although there are eerie similarities results wise between AAA and ML between the two players.  McKenna generates bat speed.  I assume it's an issue of reaction time, swing path, and/or the time it takes to get his swing started.  Never been a fan of guys who cock the bat in a high position and need to bring their hands down. Don Baylor started his career that way and changed years later.  Adam Jones, not nearly as extreme as early Baylor, was a bit that way.  I'd love to see McKenna start with his hands in more of his eventual swing path. Every split second counts.

• Upvote 1