Elias talks to the media 8-20-21

Mooreisbetter27

Well, he's not going to come out and say "We were supposed to be better than this, and i am disappointed my 2nd overall pick last year hasn't seen a baseball diamond in 18 months, and my pitching pick ups have been terrible, and I wish we had seen progress out of more than 3 players on the MLB roster."

We knew we could lose is never acceptable. Even if you are the worst team in the league you should see progress out of more of the major league roster than 3 players.

Absolute embarassment.

I dont see how people think this is the system thats going to yield positive results.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

This was the best news out of it all. The rest we all kinda knew already

I hate to be negative, but I thought Elias did classic GM non-news on Kjerstad.  Hopefully... he'll be ready to do what in Spring Training?  

The Kjerstad comment was the only meaningful thing he said.  Grod was kind of surprising too for being with us next year.

- Of course we will see AR after June 1st.

- It’s looking like it could be the same for Grod.

- Of course you cannot form a rotation of waiver wire acquisitions and one vet make 1mm. 

I will be over the moon if next June we have… AR and Grod in Baltimore, Elijah Greene drafted, D.L. Hall healthy, and Kjerstad playing actual games with some affiliate. 

Bottomline is… we can still tank next year , but develop a lineup and bullpen. The starting rotation will guarantee us a top 5 pick. Even with a few months of Grod. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

Did we?

Seems like they first time he has specifically stated that they will definitely spend more next year.  (The statement about how you can't have a rotation where the highest paid player makes a million)?

When Elias talked about the O's not doing things the way they use to do them.  And linking that to how they have to do things differently to compete with the big boys.   That made think that he may follow the Tampa model andMancini is liked to be traded over the winter. Santander is also headed in that direction to free up money to add a starter, 3B and SS.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

When Elias talked about the O's not doing things the way they use to do them.  And linking that to how they have to do things differently to compete with the big boys.   That made think that he may follow the Tampa model andMancini is liked to be traded over the winter. Santander is also headed in that direction to free up money to add a starter, 3B and SS.

Not that I dont like Mancini, but I do hope he and Santander are gone this winter.  Stewart, Mountcastle and AR can take care of 1B/DH and there is plenty of depth in the OF that Santander doesnt need to be here any more.  Some combo of Mullins/Hays/Mateo/McKenna/Diaz? should work ok for next year.   

5 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Not that I dont like Mancini, but I do hope he and Santander are gone this winter.  Stewart, Mountcastle and AR can take care of 1B/DH and there is plenty of depth in the OF that Santander doesnt need to be here any more.  Some combo of Mullins/Hays/Mateo/McKenna/Diaz? should work ok for next year.   

I doubt Stewart makes it through the winter with the O's.    Mullins, McKenna, Hays and Neustrom are likely in the outfield IMO.   I think Mateo should be most an infielder but could fill in at the OF occasionally.

• Upvote 2

We should shop Mancini, but I don't see the point in trading Santander this winter.  He is having a bad season, due in part to injuries.   Might as well see if he can return to his 2019-2020 form next season before trying to trade him. 

Agree that D.J. Stewart is likely to be released/non-tendered this offseason.  

Rutschman should be called up early next season, as soon as the season reaches the "extra year of team control" threshold.  GRod may take longer, depending on how he looks at AAA once he's promoted.  Hopefully he won't be a victim of the dreaded "seam adjustment".  

On 8/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Here come the posters that have nothing better to do than to complain about other posters...yadda yadda yadda.

Here come the posters that complain about posters that have nothing better to do than to complain about other posters...yadda yadda yadda.