The Marauding Delmarva Offense

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t forget that Vaughn had 245 PA in the minors in 2019.    He didn’t go straight to the majors.   He certainly was fast-tracked, though, and has done a respectable job.   

Yep, under the current system it's very unlikely that anyone will go directly to the majors.  The White Sox also were also not competitive that year. 

I'm sure I'm going to get grief for admitting it but I don't see the harm in anyone, no matter how advanced, spending some time getting acclimated to pro ball in their draft season.   Kind of like an orientation into pro ball.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fun to think about how these guys could make the nucleus of our lineup by 2023, 2024.

If the best case happens….

1st-Mountcastle

2nd-Norby

SS- Westburg

3rd- Mayo/Gunnar

LF-  lots of options

CF- Cowser

RF- Kjerstad 

C- Adley

DH- rotation 

Now, we know this won’t happen so what does and who is likely to not make it the most out of these names?

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1st-Mountcastle

2nd-Norby

SS- Westburg

3rd- Mayo/Gunnar

LF-  lots of options

CF- Cowser

RF- Kjerstad 

C- Adley

DH- rotation 

Now, we know this won’t happen so what does and who is likely to not make it the most out of these names?

I’m certainly not counting on Kjerstad until he’s healthy and playing well in games.   Everyone else has a good shot though 2023-24 might be a stretch for anyone outside of Adley, Westburg and Cowser.   Not saying those other guys can’t be up by then, but a lot has to go right for them to do it.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m certainly not counting on Kjerstad until he’s healthy and playing well in games.   Everyone else has a good shot though 2023-24 might be a stretch for anyone outside of Adley, Westburg and Cowser.   Not saying those other guys can’t be up by then, but a lot has to go right for them to do it.   

Agree about Kjerstad, but Stowers could take his place. And then Gunnar or Mayo can be in LF. If we’re living in a fantasy world where they all make it. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I disagree with this.

Every one on that list should be ready by then, assuming health and good performance.  

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1st-Mountcastle

2nd-Norby

SS- Westburg

3rd- Mayo/Gunnar

LF-  lots of options

CF- Cowser

RF- Kjerstad 

C- Adley

DH- rotation 

I realize it's best case scenario, but Kjerstad has a long, long way to go.  And I'm assuming you've traded Mullins?  IMO, the best case scenario is Mullins in CF with Cowser flanking in RF or LF.  Stowers might be able to work his way in there, too.  

I'm most intrigued by the 3rd base competition between Mayo and Henderson.

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Agree about Kjerstad, but Stowers could take his place. And then Gunnar or Mayo can be in LF. If we’re living in a fantasy world where they all make it. 

We are living in a fantasy world where they all make it.  But the nice thing here is that this fantasy is kicked off because these guys have all initially done well.  

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1st-Mountcastle

2nd-Norby

SS- Westburg

3rd- Mayo/Gunnar

LF-  lots of options

CF- Cowser

RF- Kjerstad 

C- Adley

DH- rotation 

Cedric Mullins has an OPS+ of 141 right now. Just saying.

Next we just have to come up with 10 more pitchers to fill out the staff.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I realize it's best case scenario, but Kjerstad has a long, long way to go.  And I'm assuming you've traded Mullins?  IMO, the best case scenario is Mullins in CF with Cowser flanking in RF or LF.  Stowers might be able to work his way in there, too.  

I'm most intrigued by the 3rd base competition between Mayo and Henderson.

Yes I would trade Mullins because of his age and salary in the upcoming years. A lot of his game is based on speed and that figures to decline.  He already isn’t some great defensive CFer, so if he loses speed, he drops to below average imo.  

Couple that with the idea that I don’t think this years power surge is for real and I think you have a good player but nothing like this year.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yes I would trade Mullins because of his age and salary. A lot of his game is based on speed and that figures to decline.  He already isn’t some great defensive CFer, so if he loses speed, he drops to below average imo.  

Couple that with the idea that I don’t think this years power surge is for real and I think you have a good player but nothing like this year.  

That's fair enough.  From what I've read it appears that Cowser could play any OF spot.  Would he be strong enough in CF though?  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's fair enough.  From what I've read it appears that Cowser could play any OF spot.  Would he be strong enough in CF though?  

I think that remains to be seen.  It is how the Os drafted him but who knows.  It’s definitely possible e need to find a CFer.  That may be Mullins but how much of a commitment are you willing to give him?  How long term of a deal do you want to sign him for him?  

He’s under team control for a while but that will come quick and then he is about 30 years old.  

Mullins is a real tough case.  I’m good with him here next year but if teams are offering a lot, I’m ok dealing him even though I want to win more next year.  But I think you can deal hiM and win more if the commitment is there from ownership.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Guys rarely go from "can play any position in the OF" to a true CFer. If we're projecting Mullins' decline, it's equally fair to project Cowser as a LF/RF instead a CF.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think that remains to be seen.  It is how the Os drafted him but who knows.  It’s definitely possible e need to find a CFer.  That may be Mullins but how much of a commitment are you willing to give him?  How long term of a deal do you want to sign him for him?  

He’s under team control for a while but that will come quick and then he is about 30 years old.  

Mullins is a real tough case.  I’m good with him here next year but if teams are offering a lot, I’m ok dealing him even though I want to win more next year.  But I think you can deal hiM and win more if the commitment is there from ownership.

To trade Mullins this off-season, someone would need to make an offer that values him as an .850 OPS hitter, with average CF defense. I doubt we get an offer like that. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree, it's a tough case.  But I think by the trade deadline next year we'll know what we have.  And he's not a free agent until after 2026 so, yeah, we do have some time.