Per the Sun, O's looking at Izturis

LAOSfan

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Izturis hit 24 RBI's in 135 games last year...this is insane if they really think about it. AMac said it would be something better than we had last year. How would it be better?!?! We would still have a toothpick for a shortstop!

Because Izturis is leaps and bounds better defensively than anyone we put out there last year.

Its so annoying that this team is looking to take the easy way out by adding Izturis.

Why is it the easy way out? Why is it lazy? They have had discussions with other teams regarding their SS's and obviously, thought those teams were asking too much in return. They are not interested in the free agent SS's because they will command too much money that will hopefully be thrown at Teixeira and Burnett. Izturis is better defensively than anyone else out there right now and we don't have to give up anything to get him.

Plus, we don't know what other discussions AM has had with any teams regarding their SS's. I don't understand how so many conclusions are made on this board when we know very little, if anything, about what AM has done so far this offseason.

Its so annoying that this team is looking to take the easy way out by adding Izturis.

The flip side is that Izturis is a negotiating tool to get SD to lower their demand for Greene. Also signing Izturis does not mean the O's will not target a young SS that may need time in the minors. Also if the young guy forces his way up fast, then Izturis surely can be moved/dumped/become utility guy. Hopefully the O's still can get a young talented SS into the system despite possibly signing Izturis.

I can't argue with turning down that trade, one year of Khalil Greene is hardly worth giving up on a 24 year-old (soon to be 25) with a minor league ERA under 3 and a Minor league K:BB or 3:1... If Greene was under club control for a couple more years I would consider it but not for a rental...

MLB often grants a 72hr window for teams to negotiate an extension on a contract that is about to expire that they are trading for, like Khalil Greene's contract. Without an extension in place, no-way do the Orioles trade Olson for Greene.

The Orioles need to see a healthy & productive Greene before this trade happens. If the Padres had asked for Daniel Cabrera, the Orioles should have done it in a heartbeat...Go O's!!!

Why is it the easy way out? Why is it lazy? They have had discussions with other teams regarding their SS's and obviously, thought those teams were asking too much in return. They are not interested in the free agent SS's because they will command too much money that will hopefully be thrown at Teixeira and Burnett. Izturis is better defensively than anyone else out there right now and we don't have to give up anything to get him.

Plus, we don't know what other discussions AM has had with any teams regarding their SS's. I don't understand how so many conclusions are made on this board when we know very little, if anything, about what AM has done so far this offseason.

Its lazy because they need a long term solution...not this stop gap bs.

Looking at Izuris doesn't hurt us a bit.

Glad the O's turned the trade down. Olson wasn't good last year, but Greene was worse, costs more money, and we only get him for a year.

Incentive laden deals only make sense for the often injured, like Burnett or Sheets. While you can't set an ERA or win incentive, you can set a IP incentive.

Its lazy because they need a long term solution...not this stop gap bs.

I agree and by his quote, I think AM does too. But I wouldn't call it lazy when it appears that AM is trying to find the long term solution but appears not to be satisfied with the asking prices.

How is Greene a long term solution. How do you know he's gonna have a bounce back year or even resign with us?

How is Izturis a long term solution? Greene has power and has proven he is capable of playing at a high level. With Izturis, you know what you are getting. Huff had a down year last year & won a silver slugger this year. Alot can change in a year.

Archived