Tanner Scott & Jorge Mateo to IL, Diplan and Valaika up

SteveA

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m curious as to what other options there were besides Valaika? Bannon may not be a SS but is someone else and Bannon could replace them?

Bannon is hitting .173/.274/.387 at Norfolk, and while he had an insane 10 game hot streak in mid-August, he’s hit .123/.231/.158 over the last 16 games.   He’s done absolutely nothing to deserve a call up.   He hit ten homers during that 10 game streak, but has only 5 in his other 65 games played this year (none in the last 16 games).    

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Bannon is hitting .173/.274/.387 at Norfolk, and while he had an insane 10 game hot streak in mid-August, he’s hit .123/.231/.158 over the last 16 games.   He’s done absolutely nothing to deserve a call up.   He hit ten homers during that 10 game streak, but has only 5 in his other 65 games played this year (none in the last 16 games).    

I don't think many of the promotions to Baltimore have been based on merit.

Bottom line is a guy who had been primarily splitting time between SS & 2B went on the IL, so they were probably not going to bring up a guy who has played no shortstop at all in his minor league career, and just 2 games in college, such as Bannon, to replace him.   People are overanalyzing this move and examining it in light of their own agendas.   It's a body on the back end of the roster of the worst team in baseball for the last 19 games of the season.   

It was either going to be somebody on the 40 man roster, or someone that they would have no problem DFAing after his 19 days in the majors.   Bannon is the only infielder on the 40 man, and he doesn't play short.   So that left the likes of Valaika, McCoy, and Escarra.   Honestly I doubt any of those guys are in their long term plans.  So any one of the 3 could be brought up with the intention to cut them whenever the 60 day IL guys have to come back tot he roster.    They brought up the guy who has had some occasional pop in his bat and who has faced major league pitching before with a little bit of success here and there.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Interesting. I know Valaika has been doing better, but I’m a little surprised we didn’t see Bannon come up since he was already on the 40. 

The obvious reason is that neither Bannon nor Gutierrez are middle infielders and the player that we had to replace is.