This choking bullpen is killing me

Frobby

With tonight’s blown save, the Orioles bullpen now has a sub-50% save rate on the season (22/45).    You want to know why this team is worse than we thought they’d be?   Look no further than that.   

I really thought Wells was going to be the guy with the stuff and disposition to close.   And maybe he still will be.   But seeing him blow his second straight opportunity was extremely disheartening.   Last time he just didn’t have it, but I think tonight game down to having lost confidence from the last outing.   You just cannot come in with a one-run lead and walk the leadoff hitter.  Kind’ve tough luck to have it start raining and Gardner’s hit was underwhelming, but still, the walk set up the whole mess.   

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With tonight’s blown save, the Orioles bullpen now has a sub-50% save rate on the season (22/45).    You want to know why this team is worse than we thought they’d be?   Look no further than that.   

I really thought Wells was going to be the guy with the stuff and disposition to close.   And maybe he still will be.   But seeing him blow his second straight opportunity was extremely disheartening.   Last time he just didn’t have it, but I think tonight game down to having lost confidence from the last outing.   You just cannot come in with a one-run lead and walk the leadoff hitter.  Kind’ve tough luck to have it start raining and Gardner’s hit was underwhelming, but still, the walk set up the whole mess.   

Well I saw at least one definite strike that was called a ball.

plus it was raining really hard.

Plus the entire idea of “closer” remains stupid.

I’m just thrilled that Tate didn’t lose the game because that’s exactly what I was expecting.

One of my questions for Elias is why did he keep terrible bullpen guys and acquire other terrible bullpen guys. He’s gotten rid of a few-and not before time, either- but I expect this off-season he’s going to clean house and only Wells and …and….who? Will be on the team next May.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agreed.  A bullpen can come together fast. I want the #1 pick. Let these relievers with no futures bring us home. 

Trial by fire. Either the relievers this year develop into something or they help secure the #1 pick.

It’s almost enough to make me forget about blowing tonight’s game. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Well I saw at least one definite strike that was called a ball.

plus it was raining really hard.

Plus the entire idea of “closer” remains stupid.

I’m just thrilled that Tate didn’t lose the game because that’s exactly what I was expecting.

One of my questions for Elias is why did he keep terrible bullpen guys and acquire other terrible bullpen guys. He’s gotten rid of a few-and not before time, either- but I expect this off-season he’s going to clean house and only Wells and …and….who? Will be on the team next May.

Sulser has been pretty good.  Connor Greene is improving as a reliever.  Lopez was good as reliever before he was injured.   Tyler Wells is someone they should not give up on.  Scott had a 2.78 ERA in the 1st half before he hurt his knee.

They just do not have a closer.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sulser has been pretty good.  Connor Greene is improving as a reliever.  Lopez was good as reliever before he was injured.   Tyler Wells is someone they should not give up on.  Scott had a 2.78 ERA in the 1st half before he hurt his knee.

Scott has a history of inconsistency. I have zero confidence in Lopez. With Fry and Scott out we do not have a high leverage matchup lefty. Hard to know whether something happened to Fry or if he was pitching over his head before. Bottom line we are short more than just a closer, as you know because you want to bring in multiple veteran relievers. Overall our bullpen ERA is last in MLB at 5.71. It's not every day your team has the worst rotation and worst bullpen but somehow we are on track to accomplish that. It's incredibly frustrating that we get a rare lead or tie up the game and then the bullpen still finds a way to blow it.

I think Sulser, Greene, and Wells are showing enough to deserve a shot to contribute but they are far from guaranteed to be successful. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the bullpen has just been so taxed this year that it’s really hard to even evaluate guys. 

Let me make it clear that I want us to have the #1 overall pick. So I don’t care about letting some retread relievers help gets us there. 

However, there is hope for next year,

Bautista, Wells, Scott, Sulser, Fry, Burdi, Tate, Fry, Lopez and Harvey. Mix in some of the failed SP and we should have a much improved BP. 

A bullpen can only do so well with a terrible rotation.