Tuesday September 21: a bullpen game in Philly on the last full day of summer

SteveA

There is no reason with extra players you should have only 4 bench players.  I don’t care who is on the dL you bring someone up just in case you need one guy especially in NL with no DH and a bullpen game.  Heck bring Ryan Ripken up so he can say he was in major leagues. If Valdez can get there a positional player could as well.

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

There is no reason with extra players you should have only 4 bench players.  I don’t care who is on the dL you bring someone up just in case you need one guy especially in NL with no DH and a bullpen game.  Heck bring Ryan Ripken up so he can say he was in major leagues. If Valdez can get there a positional player could as well.

Jahmai Jones, Tyler Nevin and Rylan Bannon are all on the 40-man roster and could have been added for two days and then sent back down once the NL series is over. No excuse for a bullpen pitcher to be hitting with a 28-man roster.

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I think going on contact with runner on 3rd and one out is just correct these days, even if it's a bad look. Only have to score like 25% of the time to be worth it since you're giving up an out either way.

Only it’s not. My team in college used to run that play and we had great success doing it. Know what the difference is? These guys are major league players and they don’t miss throws at that distance. And a 75% rate of being thrown out is not a good risk. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I think going on contact with runner on 3rd and one out is just correct these days, even if it's a bad look. Only have to score like 25% of the time to be worth it since you're giving up an out either way.

I'm not so sure.  You gotta see that ball clear the infield.  Especially if you're the Phillies and need to get every win you can to stay alive.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not so sure.  You gotta see that ball clear the infield.  Especially if you're the Phillies and need to get every win you can to stay alive.

Exactly

My pops is a lifetime Angels fan. When Sciosia was managing they used to run that play all the time. 

Pops was never happy when they did.