Severino or Mancini - More Trade Value?

sportsfan8703

I would rather watch the kid from “Bad News Bears” than Severino. I don’t care if it is the kid or the grown up version. 
If someone offered a wooden nickel for Severino, I would gladly accept it and send him on his way. If not, I would nontender him quicker than the ink could dry. Maverick Handley should be the starting catcher next year and backup when AR comes up. 
Severino may be worse of a human than Lew Ford. 

I can't see a scenario where it makes sense for any team to pay Severino close to $2.5 mill next season.  There is absolutely no reason that a rebuilding team like the O's should pay a poor defensive catcher who can't frame, block pitches, etc and is mediocre offensively.  I don't really want him back for close to the major league minimum.  I at least understand why people want to keep Mancini.  Its a great story, Mancini is a great guy, he's a team leader.  The fact is that the O"s need his at bats for Adley.  What are the O's going to do, have Adley play 1st and have Mountcastle wander around in the outfield?

I can't believe Severino didn't get pulled to start the ninth after that performance. Two strikeouts, a pop out, and a defensive adventure whenever runners were on and you stroll out of the box on a ball hit to the wall and wind up at first. Embarrassing. On the plus side, he gave his hat away to a kid after the game. I dont think he will need it again.

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't mind either, but it isn't my money.  If they have a set payroll is spending a chunk of it on Mancini the best way to use it?

i don't think that Mancini's presence on the roster or pay will impact other decisions.  I think the decision on when and how much to spend on free agents will entirely depend on where Elias thinks we are in the rebuild.  Keeping Mancini in the final year of team control won't have a significant negative salary impact.  And, since I don't think we'd get enough now to make trading him worthwhile, we might as well get to the trade deadline and see what's available then.  Having said that, if a team makes a surprisingly good offer, I'm not against trading him in the off season.  Just don't see that happening.

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I can't believe Severino didn't get pulled to start the ninth after that performance. Two strikeouts, a pop out, and a defensive adventure whenever runners were on and you stroll out of the box on a ball hit to the wall and wind up at first. Embarrassing. On the plus side, he gave his hat away to a kid after the game. I dont think he will need it again.

You don't think that Severino will play again during the final series in Toronto?

Just now, NCRaven said:

i don't think that Mancini's presence on the roster or pay will impact other decisions.  I think the decision on when and how much to spend on free agents will entirely depend on where Elias thinks we are in the rebuild.  Keeping Mancini in the final year of team control won't have a significant negative salary impact.  And, since I don't think we'd get enough now to make trading him worthwhile, we might as well get to the trade deadline and see what's available then.  Having said that, if a team makes a surprisingly good offer, I'm not against trading him in the off season.  Just don't see that happening.

Just like the Davis deal didn't?

You can't seriously believe that a long term $160+ million dollar deal for Davis compares in any way to what Mancini will get in his final year of arbitration?  A one-year contract in the $10 million range?  The money owed Davis next year will have a bigger impact than anything Mancini makes in 22.

Just now, NCRaven said:

You can't seriously believe that a long term $160+ million dollar deal for Davis compares in any way to what Mancini will get in his final year of arbitration?  A one-year contract in the $10 million range?  The money owed Davis next year will have a bigger impact than anything Mancini makes in 22.

I'm talking about how the Davis deal was framed as being separate money that was only going to be used for Davis.

Every dollar spent is a dollar less to be spent. 

21 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You don't think that Severino will play again during the final series in Toronto?

Home uniforms and road uniforms have different hats.

I was just being glib. Really, all the players could have given their hats away since it is the end of the season.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Every dollar spent is a dollar less to be spent. 

Understood.  I just don't think the money spent on Mancini for one year will have a major impact on other spending decisions.  Perfectly willing to say that I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Understood.  I just don't think the money spent on Mancini for one year will have a major impact on other spending decisions.  Perfectly willing to say that I could be wrong.

Probably not.  I don't think it would stop anyone from signing a long term deal, mostly because I don't think the O's will be inking any long term deals this offseason.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably not.  I don't think it would stop anyone from signing a long term deal, mostly because I don't think the O's will be inking any long term deals this offseason.

Probably true for 2022.  If it remains true in 2023, I'll be disappointed.