The Shortstop Market, 2022

Just Regular

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting to see that Hosmer’s contract was front-loaded.   They’ve paid him 4/$84 mm so far, and have 4/$60 mm left ($21 mm in 2022, $13 mm each of 2023-25).   That still would be a lot to pay to get Abrams, but could be worth it.   Fangraphs ranks Abrams FV 60, worth about $55 mm in excess value.   

The Orioles are on Hosmer's no trader list.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting to see that Hosmer’s contract was front-loaded.   They’ve paid him 4/$84 mm so far, and have 4/$60 mm left ($21 mm in 2022, $13 mm each of 2023-25).   That still would be a lot to pay to get Abrams, but could be worth it.   Fangraphs ranks Abrams FV 60, worth about $55 mm in excess value.   

Well that’s how you look at it.  If he was a FA right now, would you pay him 60M?  

I think I would feel better about things if we could get Clevinger as well.  Clevinger, Abrams and Hosmer for Mancini+ (the plus not being a whole lot)

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well that’s how you look at it.  If he was a FA right now, would you pay him 60M?  

I think I would feel better about things if we could get Clevinger as well.  Clevinger, Abrams and Hosmer for Mancini+ (the plus not being a whole lot)

If you are Hosmer why would you agree to a trade to Baltimore? 

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are Hosmer why would you agree to a trade to Baltimore? 

Per Cots, he has the right to list 10 teams to which he won’t be traded without his consent.   It’s probably a good bet that Baltimore is on his list, though we don’t know that.  Maybe he likes crab cakes.  

After 2022, he has 10/5 rights and thus full no trade protection (unless the new CBA changes that).   So, the Padres certainly have incentive to try to trade him now to one of the 20 teams not on his list.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Per Cots, he has the right to list 10 teams to which he won’t be traded without his consent.   It’s probably a good bet that Baltimore is on his list, though we don’t know that.  After 2022, he has 10/5 rights and thus full no trade protection (unless the new CBA changes that.  So, the Padres certainly have incentive to try to trade him now to one of the 20 teams not on his list.   

https://friarsonbase.com/2021/07/27/padres-trade-rumors-eric-hosmer-market/

The possible market for Hosmer is cut even shorter by his no-trade clause. Per Ken Rosenthal (via MLB Trade Rumors), Hosmer has listed 10 teams he has to sign off on a deal for: the Athletics, Blue Jays, Brewers, Cardinals, Giants, Indians, Mariners, Orioles, Pirates, and Tigers.

4 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

This is not meant to call you out in particular, but can we please stop mentioning Semien as even a remote candidate? A 7.1 fWAR season means the world is his oyster this offseason… and we can be sure that Baltimore is not any part of that world, nor should it be for any guys coming off career years. In 2026, maybe we can talk to him. Until then, we should be looking at guys who played well below expectations until we see any willingness on the part of the Angelos family to loosen those purse strings.

We can be sure? You know for certain that Elias is under some restrictions financially to add talent? You don’t. I’m sick and tired of them going after guys who have “played well below expectations”. 

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

We can be sure? You know for certain that Elias is under some restrictions financially to add talent? You don’t. I’m sick and tired of them going after guys who have “played well below expectations”. 

Trust me, I am sick and tired of it too, I don’t know that I can stomach yet another season like this. I really hope they will make a splash with some sensible roster additions. But at this point, they have to prove my skepticism wrong. Even if ‘22 isn’t “the” year, it’s time for them to at least put something good on the field for the long suffering fans. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I still think Galvis is a no brainer bring back. If he’s too rich for us then we bring in Iglesias.  Also, it gives a vet presence to a tool at guy like Mateo.  We need someone to hold down the fort until Westburg and Gunnar are ready in 2023. 

I think it might end up being Ortiz at SS in 2023 - since we don't know if Westburg or Gunnar will stick at SS.  

Just for the fun of it, here’s the top of the SS market:

Correa, 26, 34.1 rWAR in 752 games, 7.2 rWAR in 2021

Seager, 27, 21.3 rWAR in 636 games, 3.7 rWAR in 2021

Story, 28, 26.8 rWAR in 745 games, 4.2 rWAR in 2021

Baez, 28, 23.4 rWAR in 832 games, 4.5 rWAR in 2021

Semien, 30, 28.6 rWAR in 1052 games, 7.1 rWAR in 2021

Crawford, 34, 30.1 rWAR in 1443 games, 6.1 rWAR in 2021

That is an impressive array of talent, and they all pretty much sang for their supper in their walk year.   Andrelton Simmons (37.1 rWAR) is also available, but no longer at the top of his game.  

I don’t see the O’s getting in on this action, but it will be interesting to see how the market sorts them out.  

If Elias really wanted CJ Abrams I would offer Mancini, Santander, and severino for Homer, clevinger, and Abrams

Pads could use both catching and OF depth. 

Clevinger hopefully becomes a trade piece

Maybe Homer plays up a bit in AL w DH option. He's not Chris Davis bad, he's won a WS and is a leader.

Pull up Adley and GrayRod and you may have a mildly competitive team next year

If it's me, I do not do this. 

I save the money, find a Galvis, sign a couple pitchers that don't break the bank. Go into 22 as the last true year of the full on tear it down rebuild up. I have a good draft and figure out how to manage Santander, Mancini, Mullins, Means, and Hays as far as trade, extend, or play out their contracts.

By 2023, Elias will really know how to approach the next stage of competing in the AL east