The AFL Thread 2021

Frobby

Busy night for Orioles' pitchers in last night's Solar Sox game, covering 8 of the 9 innings:

Loeprich 3.0 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K's started the game and took the loss.

Bishop 1.2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K's relieved Loeprich

Gillaspie 2.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K's relieved Bishop with the bases loaded in the fifth, escaped the jam on a strikeout and struck out 5 of the 7 batters he faced.

Vespi  1.0 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K's pitched the 9.

Yusniel Diaz went 0 for 3 with a walk, as the other O's hitters had the night off.

21 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Will be interesting to see if Vespi pitches his way onto the 40 man or into a Rule V selection. Seems to me he might fall in between…..someone who isn’t protected because the O’s brass don’t think he’ll stay with a drafting team for the full season. 

He was doing great through AA but appears to have been exposed at AAA. Do you think anyone would carry him on an MLB roster after putting up 6.86 ERA at Norfolk? Last time this was discussed, I don't think Vespi was really in the conversation for Rule 5 protection and that was before his lousy promotion to AAA. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

He was doing great through AA but appears to have been exposed at AAA. Do you think anyone would carry him on an MLB roster after putting up 6.86 ERA at Norfolk? Last time this was discussed, I don't think Vespi was really in the conversation for Rule 5 protection and that was before his lousy promotion to AAA. 

I haven’t seen enough of him personally, but he fits the profile of someone who would be a low risk Rule V target. Tall lefty reliever with good slider/curve. He clearly didn’t fare well in AAA, but he’s had some time to adjust and is getting some good exposure in Arizona. If he does get drafted, I expect he’d be offered back to us eventually. I think I’m probably in the minority in thinking he’ll be taken at all. 

14 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I haven’t seen enough of him personally, but he fits the profile of someone who would be a low risk Rule V target. Tall lefty reliever with good slider/curve. He clearly didn’t fare well in AAA, but he’s had some time to adjust and is getting some good exposure in Arizona. If he does get drafted, I expect he’d be offered back to us eventually. I think I’m probably in the minority in thinking he’ll be taken at all. 

Context is everything and he doesn't seem like the only guy who had trouble adjusting to AAA. Whether that's the ball, his stuff, the competition, or a freak of timing, I don't know.

I guess we'll see. 

On 10/13/2021 at 10:33 AM, UMDTerrapins said:

Cullen is a guy who is a total unknown to me. He has a pretty impressive ability to draw walks.

Cullen hit a 3 run HR today, and of course, a walk. I'm interested to see him get a full season in 2022. The guy was a real knack for drawing walks. 

On 10/19/2021 at 2:00 PM, UMDTerrapins said:

Will be interesting to see if Vespi pitches his way onto the 40 man or into a Rule V selection. Seems to me he might fall in between…..someone who isn’t protected because the O’s brass don’t think he’ll stay with a drafting team for the full season. 

I doubt Vespi will be added since he struggled a bit in Norfolk and doesn't have that big fastball that team generally look for the in the Rule 5 draft. I look at him as a potential Paul Fry type but I also see that as a Kevin Smith role too.