2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

16 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Just listened to Jim Callis latest podcast. His guest was saying Sig is a big fan of Brooks Lee as he is the top player on his model board. Comps to Alex Bregman.

While I'd be disappointed that we passed on Jones, I wouldn't hate this scenario.  I could get on board with a combo of Lee, Westburg and Henderson manning the 2B, SS & 3B positions, especially if we could see that sooner than later.

At this point it would be cool to draft Jones knowing that he would be immediately ranked in all the national top 10s. That would give us three prospects in the top 10 and maybe something like three in the top 7. Either way we’re going to come away with a haul this draft. The move by Elias to scoop up the extra comp pick is looking genius now, and is the type of move we used to make in the other way. 

• Upvote 2

Jones

Holliday

Lee.

I would be happy to hear one of those names.   Doesn't mean they will be great players.   They sound the best to me.

Green -  I would be intrigued.  A little worried but still excited about the upside.

Johnson -  I'd be a little disappointed but I'd hope like hell that all of these scouts that think he has a 70 hit tool or 80 hit tool were right.

Berry -  Same as Johnson.   He better have an elite bat and it better turn into a really nice overslot later in the draft.  

Collier - Kind of the same as Berry and Johnson.  Most of the value is in the bat for these three guys but moreso Berry then Collier and then Johnson.

Gavin Cross -  Shocked

Anyone else - Even more shocked!

6 hours ago, Hazmat said:

While I'd be disappointed that we passed on Jones, I wouldn't hate this scenario.  I could get on board with a combo of Lee, Westburg and Henderson manning the 2B, SS & 3B positions, especially if we could see that sooner than later.

That’s my thought too. Could also save some money to buy out 1-2 players from their college commitment in later rounds. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At this point it would be cool to draft Jones knowing that he would be immediately ranked in all the national top 10s. That would give us three prospects in the top 10 and maybe something like three in the top 7. Either way we’re going to come away with a haul this draft. The move by Elias to scoop up the extra comp pick is looking genius now, and is the type of move we used to make in the other way. 

There was a recent piece on ESPN where they ranked the top draft prospects in the current top 100. I think they had Jones ranked the highest and number 24 in the top 100. I was surprised I would have though top 10. 

Orioles own first pick in draft and they’ll take… whomever Mike Elias wants - The Athletic

Although there is no consensus, Jones, the son of former MLB All-Star Andruw Jones, is widely considered the top talent in the group and, therefore, is likely to sign at the full slot value of $8,842,200.

Holliday, Green and Johnson are also athletic, high-ceiling, up-the-middle prep players who fit Elias’ draft profile, except that he hasn’t taken a high schooler first since joining the Orioles. Elias has been college-hitter heavy with most of his top picks with the Orioles. He did, however, select prep hitters Gunnar Henderson (second round) and Darell Hernaiz (fifth round) in 2019; Coby Mayo (fourth round) in 2020; and Creed Willems (eighth round) in 2021.

“I love taking high school hitters. We don’t do it left and right, willy-nilly. But I think that if you look back on the drafts that Sig and I have been parts of here or with the Astros, it’s a pretty good group of high school hitters,” Elias said. “We’ve got some in the mix at the top. I’m sure there’ll be some in the 33 to 42 pick range that we’ll like. And we’ll see if they get there.”

One player has ever signed for full slot, a college player.

Yet they think Jones is likely to require full slot, despite not being the clear choice at #1.

That doesn't make sense to me.

If he goes #2 is he expecting overslot?

There is a 650K difference in the money for the first and second slot.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He absolutely will accept less than full slot.  It’s an annoying narrative that that he won’t.  Zero chance he goes to college over 300k and having set a record for most money for a 1st pick under the current system.  

I guess this means that he has told you that.

This is why people on this board have problems with your posts. You have criticized Elias because you say he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but that is actually how you feel about yourself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, panick said:

This is why people on this board have problems with your posts. You have criticized Elias because you say he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but that is actually how you feel about yourself.

I believe in common sense.  He isn’t going to go to college, risk injury, put off free agency long term, etc…over 300k.  I’m more than fine to die on that sword and if that makes me the “smartest guy in the room”, so be it.  I’m good with that.

Zero chance he doesn’t sign that deal.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, panick said:

It does seem very unlikely he would turn down 300K under slot when that figure is still well over the slot value for the second overall pick.