2021 Orioles #12 Prospect - Samuel Basallo - C

Tony-OH

Reading the report, it seems like Tony definitely spoke to one or more people in the organization about Basallo.

I’m hoping he can play well enough next year to get the Mayo treatment and spend a few weeks at Delmarva towards the end of the year.   It’ll be interesting to see how he stacks up against Creed Willems, who’s about 14 months older.   

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony, do you still use the criteria of “I would rather have player X over a guy like Basallo” when deciding on where to place him?

With such little info on him, I would think that’s a bit harder to do it that way?

I had a nice little talk with Koby Perez (thanks to Mike Elias) who gave me some good stuff on the guys to know down in the DSL and the FCL. I became more bullish on Basallo and some others. If you look at Perez's success with Cleveland, he's a pretty good source and didn't seem to be giving fluff. 

Saying that, this is definitely a pure upside ceiling pick. He's got at extreme risk due to his age and distance away from the big leagues, but he's got impact power hitting skills and showed decent plate discipline for his age and inexperience. 

I guess in my mind, I'll take a flyer on a kid who could end up an impact bat who is athletic, flexible, has a great arm, and plays a premium position. Obviously with extreme risk he could be a big mover on this list next year in either direction. I'd love to see him put up some nice numbers in the FCL next year at 17 and be in Delmarva to start 2023 at 18. If he puts up numbers there then I think he legitimizes his prospect status.

This is an aggressive placement for sure.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Basallo and Willems' power upside make me nostalgic for those fine old times when Carlos Delgado was a catching prospect.   Their timelines can become half if they have the Mayo thunder, but it is probably going to take until Adley retires for either of them to become a better catcher than him.

Nice pull with Delgado as catcher prospect.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Never realized he hit LH. We have a nice collection of hitting prospects that either hit LH or SH. 

I feel so good about our system right now, that I feel like the only thing missing is that big time DSL signing. Land a guy in the top 5-10 range. 

Perez is definitely building something good down there. 

• Upvote 1