Pre signing 2022 International Signing Class discussion

Just Regular

Here is Trezza a year ago on the Maikol/Basallo headliners - looks like January 15 was the league calendar day.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-2020-21-international-prospects

If it is the same ~January 15, 2022, it is starting to settle this Talent Acquisition moment may be somewhat of a twin to the Kjerstad draft, where for non-baseball reasons baseball is stopped except that here is this one thing actually happening.

Here is a skim the surface piece with paragraphs on the Top 4 or so leading lights...sounds like Yankees repeating the Almost All on JASSON type move.

https://throughthefencebaseball.com/the-headliners-of-the-2021-22-mlb-international-free-agency-class-roderick-arias-leads/

I haven't encountered any precise Top 25-ish Orioles names yet, but hope there will be one or two to polish up the shine on that high ranking farm.   

I saw somewhere a take the July to January move might help facilitate International Draft establishment in the medium term.   I feel sure like NL DH and roboumps this is a question of When not If, and I guess it would be a step towards baseball year round if it is evenly spaced out from the US one.   A New Year's Day Futures Game from Latin America could be fun.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

If it is the same ~January 15, 2022, it is starting to settle this Talent Acquisition moment may be somewhat of a twin to the Kjerstad draft, where for non-baseball reasons baseball is stopped except that here is this one thing actually happening.

https://throughthefencebaseball.com/the-headliners-of-the-2021-22-mlb-international-free-agency-class-roderick-arias-leads/

I haven't encountered any precise Top 25-ish Orioles names yet, but hope there will be one or two to polish up the shine on that high ranking farm.   

That first paragraph quoted above is almost indecipherable.  I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.

As to the last bit, I’ve heard us associated with one pretty top name, Braylin Tavera.   

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Yeah, not so great.

Some extra research discovers January 15 is the open date of the 2022 international signing period.

I was comparing 1/15/2022 to 6/10/2020.   Baseball in general was offline then due to COVID, and probably will be again in two months absent unexpected good news on the CBA front.

The international signing period I don't believe will be delayed however bad the MLB and MLBPA negotiations are, so it will be one baseball-positive thing happening to enjoy in the dead of winter.

It's nice to know that we finally have a chance at some of these guys.

The Elias GM chapter in Orioles history has yet to be finished.  At this point, I can see it going either way...triumphant victory or a cratering mess.

But even if the only thing he does successfully is get us into the international market, that's still really great.  That obviously won't make up for lack of success at the ML level but if we're a presence in the international market that's a win.  

• 1 month later...