Final Call: Who do the O's protect from the Rule 5 draft?

wildcard

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The roster has to  be set on Friday, Nov 19th.   Who do you think Elias protects?

Here are mine: (6)  DL Hall, Bradish, Smith, Bautista, Varva and Neustrom.

I'd add Vespi.  LH reliever with lots of exposure this fall in Arizona almost a given to get selected.

Novembers will get interesting when the college guys from 2021/2022/2023 start needing protection.   I guess the NCAA guys behind the Adley/Stowers locks might be borderline cases next year.   Watson, Ortiz, Handley, Daschbach were the 250K+ collegians behind the Top Two from 2019, and I believe Grayson and Rom will synchronize with them.

Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. Players who signed at age 19 or older need to be protected within four seasons.

17 hours ago, connja said:

I'd add Vespi.  LH reliever with lots of exposure this fall in Arizona almost a given to get selected.

Vespi did well at AA and in the AZ League which I consider AA+. But he did poorly at AAA which means the jump to the majors for a 26 year old may be a jump too far.   The question is not will he be claimed but will the team that claims him keep him for 90 days.  

48 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I question whether after 30 selections have passed, there would theoretically be a better player available than a player we’d be exposing by saving two roster spots for the Rule V. 

Last year that 2nd round prospect was Tyler Wells.  And the O's currently have Kriske and Krehbiel on the roster.