Orioles protect 6

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well we took Flaherty because we needed a cheap Util guy. We took Macfarland because he could eat IP and give us ground balls with our IF defense. We took Cortes because we desperately needed a 5th SP. We took Arajuo and Garcia because we needed middle relief options. 

We’re not the same team. We took Martin because he was a 1st rd pick and we we desperate for a MLB SS. We’re not so desperate anymore. We don’t need to clog the 40 man with more low ceiling types. It’s time to try and strike gold on Mateo types. Pitching and Hitting. 

Do the O's have a bonafide MLB shortstop?

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nope, but it will be interesting to see if Mateo and/or Fox can break out.  Urias did. 

So we don't have a ML shortstop but we're not desperate for a ML shortstop?

How does that work?

Or is it just the fact that Elias doesn't care if the 2022 team has an actual ML shortstop?  Is that the cause of a lack of desperation?  Apathy?

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well we took Flaherty because we needed a cheap Util guy. We took Macfarland because he could eat IP and give us ground balls with our IF defense. We took Cortes because we desperately needed a 5th SP. We took Arajuo and Garcia because we needed middle relief options. 

We’re not the same team. We took Martin because he was a 1st rd pick and we we desperate for a MLB SS. We’re not so desperate anymore. We don’t need to clog the 40 man with more low ceiling types. It’s time to try and strike gold on Mateo types. Pitching and Hitting. 

Sure, I am fine with that approach. Santander was more of a high upside pick that worked out. I was just responding to the blanket statement.

I have a question about Neustrom. If we lose him? What are we losing that we do not already have? I have heard him compared to Stewart with marginally better defense, But I don’t know whether that’s accurate. When we lost pop, we lost nothing except a potential that even now has not been approached. So it’s hard to say that Mike made a mistake based on the information we currently have. So what do we lose if we lose Neustrom?

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the scouting report on Gillespie?

These were my two report in on when I saw him:
94-95, t98 (gets barreled a little to much), pretty true
Change is pretty good,.
Slider and curve are inconsistent.. Not good command of them

8/18

Fastball 96..
Lots of uncompetitive pitches though
Slider can be good but command is not good
Changeup has some fade and drop but he left one in the middle for a two out hit

Really good arm and the change can be good, but really, really inconsistent command and really control. I'm surprised he was protected. Maybe they are working on some thing and found some consistency in something.

• Upvote 1

His K rate, BB rate and K/BB ratio were all excellent.

His FIP was .75 of a run better than his ERA and his xFIP was about 1.3 runs better.  

I’m guessing they liked some of this about him.

But I go back to wondering how much of this is influenced by the idea that Elias acquired him.  Why him over Vespi?  Vespi was already here.  Does this come into play?  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I have a question about Neustrom. If we lose him? What are we losing that we do not already have? I have heard him compared to Stewart with marginally better defense, But I don’t know whether that’s accurate. When we lost pop, we lost nothing except a potential that even now has not been approached. So it’s hard to say that Mike made a mistake based on the information we currently have. So what do we lose if we lose Neustrom?

Every year there's a guy or two that people get upset about. I'll be shocked of Neustrom is taken because he's not the high upside guys that team's look for. He's a 4th outfielder type. Every organization has his type. Does that mean he might not make improvements and become a guy, no. But it's doubtful. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Every year there's a guy or two that people get upset about. I'll be shocked of Neustrom is taken because he's not the high upside guys that team's look for. He's a 4th outfielder type. Every organization has his type. Does that mean he might not make improvements and become a guy, no. But it's doubtful. 

Oh I’m not shocked about the prospect of losing him, or upset, not in the slightest. I was just wondering what, if anything, he offers that we don’t already have. If he is a duplicate, and the other guys offer more, then in losing him we don’t lose very much, just like I don’t think we lost much when we lost Pop.

I expect that Sedlock will be taken, And it will be fascinating to see if the new team can fix whatever his problem is.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Oh I’m not shocked about the prospect of losing him, or upset, not in the slightest. I was just wondering what, if anything, he offers that we don’t already have. If he is a duplicate, and the other guys offer more, then in losing him we don’t lose very much, just like I don’t think we lost much when we lost Pop.

I expect that Sedlock will be taken, And it will be fascinating to see if the new team can fix whatever his problem is.

I believe that this was touched on in another thread on prospects.  He just has to make * "adjustments" ?.  SF Giants?  Sounds like a project.

* I really hate being simply a "smart azz".  ?

6 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

He's a goner. 

Maybe, but not because Vespi pitched one good inning one day.  

I don’t really understand the Gillaspie move.   For me, what distinguishes good pitchers from AAAA guys is being able to perform consistently.   The guys who look great one day and clueless the next are a dime a dozen.   That’s how I see Gillaspie.  But that’s not to say that teams won’t claim the inconsistent guys hoping that they can fix them or that something will click.