Greene on the way to Baltimore? No.

Fan4Life

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's my understanding that the Padres want a deal similar to what the Orioles got for Bedard. Ain't going to happen so he may well end up staying there. I've also heard they may trade Brian Giles and Keep Peavy. Time will tell.

I'm sure Towers DOES want that kind of a deal for Peavy. He's certainly right to ask for it, IMO.

I'm sure Towers DOES want that kind of a deal for Peavy. He's certainly right to ask for it, IMO.

Yes...one of these articles said that now that Greene is gone, they may just keep Peavy.

I think that would probably be smart for them to do...get younger and build around pitching....sounds awfully familiar! :D

The player the Pads should be trading is Adrian Gonzalez, not Peavy.

Trading AGon makes much more sense.

Peavy is making, over the next 4 years, what many on here want to pay AJ..4/60 and it could be 5/82 if they pick up the option for 2013.

Now, AGon is signed through 2011(assuming the option is picked up for 2011) but there is no way he extends in SD.

The reality is, they should build around both of these guys but they need to get rid of salary and finding a pitcher like Peavy is much more difficult and teams like NY, Boston, Ana and the Giants would give up a lot for AGon IMO.

Peavy 86-62, ERA+ 121, WHIP 1.186

Bedard 46-38, ERA+118, WHIP 1.337

Seasons over 200 IP, Peavy leads 3-0 and is 2 years younger than Bedard.

I took that as meaning for Greene not for Peavy. Hence the hilarity.

Still, after the horrendous year the Mariners had I think you would be hard-pressed to get another club to go that route.

I would give them Olson for Greene but they would have to give us someone else considering Greene's salary, statistical season last year and his age. I think he could be a solid SS for us and hold down that position for us for a few years while we find a guy for the future. We already know what we get from Olson so I would not miss him.

Bedard could rebound for the Mariners, I don't think he's uncapable of it.

Also, that deal was widely considered to be a steal for us. Most baseball people looked at that and said that we got away with murder. Combine that with the way Bedard totally flamed out this year I think it might be a couple years before you see a deal of that magnitude again.

That's fair. And I can't say I've seen Izturis play, so I'm really just going on second-hand information. Here is a post from wildcard that I found somewhat convincing:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1527128&postcount=197

I say sign Jerry Hairston Jr.,play him at SS . He would hit 20 HR if we played him 150 games,salary 1 mill or less and he can cut it at short, look it up!:clap3:

I say sign Jerry Hairston Jr.,play him at SS . He would hit 20 HR if we played him 150 games,salary 1 mill or less and he can cut it at short, look it up!:clap3:

Hairston has played 40 career games at SS (out of 807) and has neither the arm nor the range to play there regularly. On top of that, I can't imagine him staying healthy for 150 games or hitting 20 HR if he did.

The player the Pads should be trading is Adrian Gonzalez, not Peavy.

Trading AGon makes much more sense.

Peavy is making, over the next 4 years, what many on here want to pay AJ..4/60 and it could be 5/82 if they pick up the option for 2013.

Now, AGon is signed through 2011(assuming the option is picked up for 2011) but there is no way he extends in SD.

The reality is, they should build around both of these guys but they need to get rid of salary and finding a pitcher like Peavy is much more difficult and teams like NY, Boston, Ana and the Giants would give up a lot for AGon IMO.

Trading Gonzalez does very little to help with their efforts to slash payroll effective immediately. He's only slated to make $3M in 2009. Peavy's at $11M.

Realize that absent this payroll crisis, neither guy would be going anywhere, so it stands to reason that the guy(s) making the most are the first to go.

The place they really should've started was to decline Brian Giles' option. That's the real head-scratcher in all of this.

I don't think you abandon a whole philosophy of player acquisition and fall back to limiting yourself to the MLB free agent blue light specials just because you screwed up one year and picked Luis Hernandez.
If the philosophy is building by stockpiling young SP's then it doesn't make sense to trade them for a SS. The only type A solutions at SS are guys like Escobar , Andrus etc. We will have to give up pitching to get them.

Adrian Gonzalez is a San Diego native. Saying he won't extend in San Diego is like saying Mark Teixiera or A.J. Burnett won't sign in Baltimore.

Then again, perhaps you're right, although the Padres have had winning seasons, three divisional titles and a World Series appearance since the Orioles' last winning season.

Archived