Orioles looking to trade Means?

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’d think from the title of the article that they’d actually be talking about his trade value or possible trade partners.   But it’s basically a long article that says Means should throw fewer fastballs to RHB.

Fangraphs put out the Angels as their first 2022 prospect list this week.   LAA is a team we have matched up with a lot, and once again seems like it might be rotation needy when baseball resumes.  I had a chuckle at a comment I saw somewhere that Arte Moreno will just have to buy Correa now that they've missed all the stable starters, winning just the risky Syndergaard/Lorenzen gambles.   

It does seem like from here they might benefit from Means more before Rendon/Trout too old and Ohtani's free agency, and we might benefit from their #1 prospect Detmers more once Adley/Grayson are old enough.    BaseballTradeValues only thinks Detmers is about halfway to Means.   I would hope Elias has all the hidden gems from LAA's system he wants already, and ask starting from the top in anything new.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-41-prospects-los-angeles-angels/

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Fangraphs put out the Angels as their first 2022 prospect list this week.   LAA is a team we have matched up with a lot, and once again seems like it might be rotation needy when baseball resumes.  I had a chuckle at a comment I saw somewhere that Arte Moreno will just have to buy Correa now that they've missed all the stable starters, winning just the risky Syndergaard/Lorenzen gambles.   

It does seem like from here they might benefit from Means more before Rendon/Trout too old and Ohtani's free agency, and we might benefit from their #1 prospect Detmers more once Adley/Grayson are old enough.    BaseballTradeValues only thinks Detmers is about halfway to Means.   I would hope Elias has all the hidden gems from LAA's system he wants already, and ask starting from the top in anything new.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-41-prospects-los-angeles-angels/

That's a garbage system.  They don't have the horses to get Means.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pickles said:

That's a garbage system.  They don't have the horses to get Means.

If you got Detmers and Bachman you’d be getting 2 top 100 according to MLBs list. After that they are pretty unspectacular. I might be interested in those 2 , Luis Rengifo, and their 2022 1st rounder (obviously a rule change would have to happen.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

MLBTR put together a list of 27 regulars that who could possibly change teams after the lockout is over. The list included 4 Orioles with blurbs. Means, Santander, Mancini, and Sulser. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/post-lockout-trade-candidates-27-regulars-who-could-plausibly-change-teams.html

Several names on this list I'd be interested in: Paddock, Yarborough, Rosario, Plesac, Mondesi, Hernandez.

Would something odd like a Rosario+Plesac for Santander+Sulser work?  Who says no (I assume them).

On 12/11/2021 at 2:36 PM, Roll Tide said:

If you got Detmers and Bachman you’d be getting 2 top 100 according to MLBs list. After that they are pretty unspectacular. I might be interested in those 2 , Luis Rengifo, and their 2022 1st rounder (obviously a rule change would have to happen.

Maybe Detmers, Vera their top SS prospect and another pitching prospect.  We are looking for more SS prospects.

16 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Several names on this list I'd be interested in: Paddock, Yarborough, Rosario, Plesac, Mondesi, Hernandez.

Would something odd like a Rosario+Plesac for Santander+Sulser work?  Who says no (I assume them).

I'm guessing all of the names on the list will be traded for prospects, not for each other. 

20 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Sandtander and Susler don't get you either of those guys, much less both.

You might be able to keep them on the phone if you open with Hays+ for Plesac. Maybe. Santander though, not so much.

I like Austin Hays, but if another team values him highly then the Orioles should think about a trade. Hays might have turned a corner last season and will have a relatively healthy career. Then again maybe not and if another team covets Hays, I'd listen to trade offers that would help the Orioles out at 2B/3B/SS or pitching. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I like Austin Hays, but if another team values him highly then the Orioles should think about a trade. 

Likewise, OF is an area where the organization seems to be pretty well-stocked. Now that I really think about it, trading Hays for 4 years of Plesac is something I would actually explore if I was Elias. 

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Likewise, OF is an area where the organization seems to be pretty well-stocked. Now that I really think about it, trading Hays for 4 years of Plesac is something I would actually explore if I was Elias. 

That too with Elias stocking up the organization with outfielders it's one area of relative strength the Orioles can use to their advantage, when it comes to addressing other areas of the ball club. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That too with Elias stocking up the organization with outfielders it's one area of relative strength the Orioles can use to their advantage, when it comes to addressing other areas of the ball club. 

I wonder if that is an intentional strategy on his part- stock up on one specific area with lower volatility (OF) so you can use the eventual excess to address another area that you intentionally neglect due to its higher inherent volatility (SP) via trades for guys who are further along (and therefore safer bets to provide meaningful value to the MLB team) than amateur draft prospects.

I would have Hays in my list of own “untouchable” players. I think he’s poised for a big year with the fences moved back and will get to show off his range in LF and rack up the dWAR. 

I’m looking to flip Sulser, Mancini, and/or Santander for a legit SS prospect or pitching. Our system is at the point where we need to start targeting specific positions. Best available is good when trying to play strength in numbers and to build a system, but we really need a top end SS or any/all pitching. No more 2B or OF.