O’s sign Jordan Lyles

LookinUp

31 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Sorry my previous post seemed like I was irritated with you or being disrespectful to you. I'm just irritated with the Orioles. 

Either stick to the plan as Elias has communicated it to the media many, many times or actually invest money to significantly upgrade the rotation and the rest of the pitching staff. I would rather overspend on a significantly better pitcher even if that meant a multiyear deal and spending significantly more money. 7 million seems like a lot of money to pay to watch a lot of home runs fly out of Camden Yards every five days. 

All good. I feel the same way. They've been on the wrong side of the tanking vs. rebuilding line and Lyles is a weird move. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Well, anything's possible, and it's a fair point. But the fact that Lyles didn't have thoracic outlet surgery counts for a lot is all I'm saying. It's a big reason why Harvey couldn't get any more than a mil. I just think they are coming from two very different places in free agency. But I understand the comparisons. 

I think you definitely believe that Lyles is going to be better entering 2022 vs Harvey entering 2021.

The question is, will Lyles be better in 2022 than Harvey was in 2021?  Lots of reasons to think he won’t.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you definitely believe that Lyles is going to be better entering 2022 vs Harvey entering 2021.

The question is, will Lyles be better in 2022 than Harvey was in 2021?  Lots of reasons to think he won’t.

I'll be shocked if the O's offer him a contract.  

He's end of rotation fodder so of course he will get hit hard, but leading the league in the counting stat of HR allowed just means he kept his job.   Foltynewicz and Allard had worse HR/9 on last year's Rangers.

I did get a chuckle just now that on the xwOBA 2021 percentiles the two pitchers landing on "12" were Jordan Lyles and Matt Harvey.

17 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Jordan Lyles posted a 5.34 FIP and 1.9 HR/9 in 2021.

Matt Harvey posted a 4.60 FIP and 1.3 HR/9 in 2021.

And Harvey pitched in the brutally difficult AL East while Lyles pitched in the much more forgiving AL West.

We literally should have just given Matt Harvey seven million dollars instead.

The O's can refer to Lyles and Harvey as twin aces.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You think his spin rates matter after all these years in the league with terrible performance?  You think they are a sign that his performance, at his age, is all of a sudden going to get better?

Me? Where did I say that? I said it appears the Orioles are going off that since his expected stats and performance does not dictate a $7 million contract. Honestly, I'm just perplexed why he was signed for this much money. Was there a bidding war for this guy?

I certainly think performance and expected stats mean a lot more than stuff when your 31 years old and a major league veteran. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No, it's better to just sit around, rag on anyone for a different opinion while just being happy that the Orioles spent money, even if the player doesn't fit. Make perfect sense. lol 

This insinuated that you thought they mattered.  Finisher had a sarcastic response that he has good spin rate and I was joking right back with him.  

You seem to be implying that im Not buying into spin rates (and bashing people who do) and my point is that they don’t matter for Lyles at this point.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This insinuated that you thought they mattered.  Finisher had a sarcastic response that he has good spin rate and I was joking right back with him.  

You seem to be implying that im Not buying into spin rates (and bashing people who do) and my point is that they don’t matter for Lyles at this point.

I think we're all mixed up at this point. lol

This is what happens when the Orioles throw us a bone at the last second. 

I agree with you that Lyles is basically Harvey. I would not surprise me if he puts up similar numbers as Harvey in 2021 though hopefully they won't keep running him out there as long with Rodriguez, Bradish, Baumann and potentially Rom or Brnovich not too far behind.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I never saw an explanation so I assume people came to their senses. 

1. Odds are fair that service time rules are going to change and change in favor of players.
  2. It isn't exactly difficult to find reasons to send starting pitchers down during the season if you decide you need to.
  3. "Tampa model" right?  Tampa has a history of signing pre-arbitration players to extensions.