MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you and I were in a business together and we sold it for 100M profit would you be OK with me taking 70M and letting you have 30M?  I mean 30M is a lot of money, you are just being greedy if you want more.

I am not taking sides here, but I wonder in a typical business how much goes to the owners vs. the employees.   Obviously it varies widely.   

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Advertising on uniforms is stupid. I’ve always thought that advertising on racing cars is the dumbest thing in the world, but having advertising on baseball uniforms? I think that would just be awful. I can’t think of another organization that is run as badly as baseball, with his mini bad decisions being made one after the other

I agree, advertising on uniforms is stupid.  I don't mind it on NASCAR because it's been a thing ever since I can remember.  But on real sports uniforms?  It's terrible.  

1 hour ago, connja said:

Redskins/WFT and whatever they will be after 2/2/22 is another organization that is run this badly.   As for the ads on uniforms - it's been there for a couple years already - see the Nike swoosh.

Nike makes the NFL jerseys, same with the MLB.  Just like New Era sticks their logo on the sides of the hats.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nike makes the NFL jerseys, same with the MLB.  Just like New Era sticks their logo on the sides of the hats.  

yeah, and Nike also pays MLB a cool $1 Billion dollars for the privilege of providing the uniforms.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonystitt/2019/12/19/for-a-cool-3-billion-mlb-adds-nike-swoosh-to-uniforms/?sh=75b9bb8938c2

2 minutes ago, connja said:

yeah, and Nike also pays MLB a cool $1 Billion dollars for the privilege of providing the uniforms.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonystitt/2019/12/19/for-a-cool-3-billion-mlb-adds-nike-swoosh-to-uniforms/?sh=75b9bb8938c2

It's really terrible.  I've avoided wearing anything with a Swoosh for years, except a pair of sweatpants around the house or a workout shirt at the gym...even then, I hate it.  It's tacky on anyone, it's also super tacky on a sports uniform.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's really terrible.  I've avoided wearing anything with a Swoosh for years, except a pair of sweatpants around the house or a workout shirt at the gym...even then, I hate it.  It's tacky on anyone, it's also super tacky on a sports uniform.   

Perhaps a baseball with a dollar sign superimposed would be a better logo.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Perhaps, but not as bad as a FedEx logo or Amazon.com logo is going to be :-).

5 minutes ago, connja said:

Perhaps, but not as bad as a FedEx logo or Amazon.com logo is going to be :-).

Nope, but I hope Bezos stops screwing around and buys the team.  He can slap that Amazon logo on the side of the helmets, call the team the Amazons for all I care.  Just get Snyder gone.

Having the Fed Ex logo on the side of the helmet would, if I'm imagining this correctly, would have the arrow pointing in the wrong direction, implying that they're going away from the end-zone, which would be par for the course.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nope, but I hope Bezos stops screwing around and buys the team.  He can slap that Amazon logo on the side of the helmets, call the team the Amazons for all I care.  Just get Snyder gone.

Having the Fed Ex logo on the side of the helmet would, if I'm imagining this correctly, would have the arrow pointing in the wrong direction, implying that they're going away from the end-zone, which would be par for the course.  

I'd rather Memelord Musk buy the team.

You could buy tickets with Dogecoin.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, connja said:

Redskins/WFT and whatever they will be after 2/2/22 is another organization that is run this badly.   As for the ads on uniforms - it's been there for a couple years already - see the Nike swoosh.

That’s only one. Even only one is annoying, but imagine a baseball player wearing a uniform that looks like Dale Earnhardt Junior? Where every square inch is assigned a value and sold to the highest bidder? I don’t even like the shoulder patches, but they are kind of innocent. Plastering advertising all over the uniform, making sure that in interviews they have to be pictured from the waist up or whatever? No thanks.

Good article by Passan:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32964064/why-mlb-labor-negotiations-gone-nowhere-baseball-path-back

IN THE SPIRIT of avoiding a winter more nuclear than the one already underway, ESPN asked more than a dozen major league sources what they believe a path to a deal looks like. Most of the group -- a mixture of one owner, two league officials, two general managers, one assistant GM, four players, one union official and two agents -- offered a version of an agreement that looked something like this.

1. Raise minimum salaries to around $650,000 -- a 14% bump

2. Add a performance bonus pool for pre-arbitration players

3. Implement the universal designated hitter

4. Expand the postseason from 10 to 14 teams

5. Remove indirect draft-pick compensation for free agents

6. Make significant changes to the draft to disincentivize tanking and reward small markets

7. Raise the CBT threshold into the $230 million-plus range and remove other restraints, including nonmonetary and recidivism penalties