MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Reward teams for not manipulating service time.

Seems simpler to punish teams that do.

Or just eliminate it as an option.

If a team doesn't get the pick can the player use that as evidence manipulation occurred?

I don’t know, the idea kind of intrigues me.   Teams are always going to figure out a way to game the system.  Why not incentivize them to game it in a positive way?    But I’d like to know the details.   

Jeff Passan was on Kevin Goldstein's Chin Music podcast yesterday, and one of their observations on the game of chicken was that if the season shrinks from 162 to 154 or 140, the per game economic impact is relatively small as April games the least profitable of the season.

Passan had a detail on exchanged Lottery proposals that MLB's was to put three teams in it, and the MLBPA's was to put eight.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, Frobby said:

I don’t know, the idea kind of intrigues me.   Teams are always going to figure out a way to game the system.  Why not incentivize them to game it in a positive way?    But I’d like to know the details.   

I think the way that are talking about it they will be admitting that something the owners consider manipulation is occurring. 

Wouldn't that be harmful?

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the way that are talking about it they will be admitting that something the owners consider manipulation is occurring. 

Wouldn't that be harmful?

They can find the right words, if they can find the right incentives.  

I thought up a possible solution to the economic dispute between the players and owners.  Guarantee the players make 50% of baseball revenue.  Assume baseball revenue is $10 billion.  Player salaries add up to $4.625 billion for the year.  $375 million deficit.  Players get $500k at the end of the year on a per game basis (a little over $3k/game on MLB roster).  Seems like a proposal like this would be popular w/ younger players/players on smaller salaries.  Players w/ $30 mill/yr salaries wouldn't be impressed.  Free agency at 6 years, flat.  Service time manipulation complaints go to an independent arbiter.  Minimum salaries levels for teams or they are docked revenue sharing. 

I would love to see the service time thing figured out, IMO its bad for the sport and for the teams and players and fans to hold rookies back a few weeks for time reasons. I dont care what it is but I know we all would be much more excited if we went into training camp knowing that AR and GR would have a legit opening day chance. This is my one major problem with how roster manipulation works.

Bump.

The thing that is clear is that the owners/commissioner and the players union don't like each other at all.   They can't even stay in the same room with each other for any length of time.

I  think the two sides can agree on the universal DH and the expanded playoffs.  But they are far apart on the economic issues.  And both sides are stubborn.  Very stubborn. 

Right now I think the owners lift the lockout on Feb 15 and open camps with out an agreement.   That puts it on the union to strike.   Which they will not do.   I think they negotiate until opening day and then decide to play under 2021 rules (except the DH and playoffs) because no one wants to stop the money they are receiving.    They kick the can down the road.    That is my guess.   Its about the only thing I think they can agree on economically.

The union may want to get younger players more money but not at the expense of a strike that costs the established players a lot of money.  Really most good players are doing pretty well right now.   Just look at the contracts that have been signed this off season.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Bump.

The thing that is clear is that the owners/commissioner and the players union don't like each other at all.   They can't even stay in the same room with each other for any length of time.

I  think the two sides can agree on the universal DH and the expanded playoffs.  But they are far apart on the economic issues.  And both sides are stubborn.  Very stubborn. 

Right now I think the owners lift the lockout on Feb 15 and open camps with out an agreement.   That puts it on the union to strike.   Which they will not.   I think they negotiate until opening day and then decide to play under 2021 rules (except the DH and playoffs) because no one wants to stop the money they are receiving.    They kick the can down the road.    That is my guess.   Its about the only thing I think they can agree on economically.

The union may want to get younger players more money but not at the expense of a strike that costs the established players a lot of money.  Really most good players are doing pretty well right now.   Just look at the contracts that have been signed this off season.

I don't think owners open up camp without an agreement in hand.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think owners open up camp without an agreement in hand.

And I don't think the players play without an agreement.  While revenues continue to rise, average player salary is flat to down over the past 6 years.