MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I was surprised that a large market team like the Angels voted no.  Guess they’re tired of the Dodgers kicking their butts in the LA market.

Yea also confused why Arte Moreno is opposed. Jaded after the Pujols and Trout contracts?

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I was surprised that a large market team like the Angels voted no.  Guess they’re tired of the Dodgers kicking their butts in the LA market.

They also paid $3 million last year for Shohei Ohtani's season. They can GTFO.

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Moreno is an odd one.  He might have voted for it just to keep himself from spending too much.

This is the guy that had his GM sign Pujols and Hamilton.

18 minutes ago, joelala said:

Yea also confused why Arte Moreno is opposed. Jaded after the Pujols and Trout contracts?

I read that some of the owners may have just voted no because they don’t like the economic system in baseball at all.  Doesn’t necessarily mean they are opposed to this.  More of a protest type vote it sounds like.

Should be the owners doing this not the players. But good PR for the players. The ancillary stadium employees are bearing the cost of the owners lockout. Unfortunately a lot of them are third-party employees (Aramark, etc.) and it seems unlikely they will be able to take advantage of this.

This would also seem to indicate that the players expect it to be a while before the season starts. You don't make a million dollar donation to workers if you only expect them to miss a week of work.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Can you identify what player demands you specifically find "hypocritical"? 

Pretend you're from a very remote island and you have no idea what any player currently makes or even what baseball is. "Baseball player" might be very lucrative or it might be a working-class job as far as you know. All you know is that there is a labor dispute where the baseball players have conceded and dropped every one of their demands to make major changes to the structure of the current agreement. They want only for the numbers involved to increase basically at the rate of inflation, retroactive to when the deal was signed. Hmmm, you ask, is this industry in financial decline? No, in fact, not only is the industry still turning a healthy profit, the baseball players have agreed to things that make the owners a lot of extra money on top of that. Hmmm, you ask, are these workers easy to replace? No, in fact, their skills are so freakishly rare that it costs a fair amount of money just to identify those skills in people and then to develop them. 

When you zoom out like that, it sure sounds like the players are being reasonable and even conciliatory and the owners are being unbelievably petty. It's only when you intrude your emotions into it, "can't believe they make millions to hit a ball with a stick when my mom's a teacher and only makes 65k a year etc. etc." that you start to blame the players, and that's exactly what the owners count on and have counted on for more than a century.

You can make yourself feel better using any analogy you like. Honestly, I really don't care. I have zero problems with players making the money they do. If someone feels they are worth that money, who am I to tell them they shouldn't take it? I have problems when they are screaming poor when they're not. Look at the first three years of MLB like an internship. A very well paid internship. After that, the life changing paydays are there!

Players are not indentured servants and get paid very well even during the period they have little control. If they are good, they will score an even bigger paycheck that will be based off their worth. If they are excellent, they can get to the Scherzer level and enjoy their rich, elite status where they can pretend to care about the little guys again to make themselves feel better. lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, osfan83 said:

I would think with the unfair working conditions the players are subjected to, there would be a shortage of players. How come the "Great Resignation" hasn't impacted MLB like other companies? Most industries in this country are having a hard time filling positions, I haven't seen the O's help wanted ad for a slick fielding SS yet. 

Seriously. With the horrors they have to endure like 1st class hotels, chartered flights, and playing on world classed fields and stadiums, I don't why anyone would want to do this for $650,000 a year. 

But hey, people will tell you they are treated unfairly. lol... I wish I was treated that unfairly. 🤣

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Should be the owners doing this not the players. But good PR for the players. The ancillary stadium employees are bearing the cost of the owners lockout. Unfortunately a lot of them are third-party employees (Aramark, etc.) and it seems unlikely they will be able to take advantage of this.

This would also seem to indicate that the players expect it to be a while before the season starts. You don't make a million dollar donation to workers if you only expect them to miss a week of work.

They should start a Gofundme so you guys can help those poor suffering players who may have to get a real job. Maybe Scherzer will kick in a $100 out of his $36 million he made last year.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You can make yourself feel better using any analogy you like. Honestly, I really don't care. I have zero problems with players making the money they do. If someone feels they are worth that money, who am I to tell them they shouldn't take it? I have problems when they are screaming poor when they're not. Look at the first three years of MLB like an internship. A very well paid internship. After that, the life changing paydays are there!

Players are not indentured servants and get paid very well even during the period they have little control. If they are good, they will score an even bigger paycheck that will be based off their worth. If they are excellent, they can get to the Scherzer level and enjoy their rich, elite status where they can pretend to care about the little guys again to make themselves feel better. lol

What player is screaming poor?

Looks to me that what they are primarily asking for is their compensation to go up as revenue goes up.

That seems reasonable to a lot of us.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What I wrote wasn't an "analogy", it was a description of what is literally happening. 

And what exactly did Max Scherzer say that you had a problem with? Keep in mind that he is on what is probably the last contract of his career, so he doesn't stand to gain anything down the line by holding out. The lockout is probably going to cost him what, $8-10 million or something? Scherzer is literally putting three times as much on the line as it would have cost each billionaire owner to do that bonus pool increase that players were asking for.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Looks to me that what they are primarily asking for is their compensation to go up as revenue goes up.

Baseball Player Salary as a function of revenue has been pretty steady, and well over 50%...  generally closer to 60% for some time.

It is substantially higher than the NFL..... and the NBA... 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What player is screaming poor?

Plenty of people on here are acting like the players are some poor indentured servants who are getting scraps from the owners. 

I work for a Corporation (away from the Hangout). I get a raise every year. What I don't do is sit around and worry how much the corporation made. 

The owners are dbags, and if it were true that they tried to slide a bunch of stuff in at the last second, then they truly have to own this, but the players have a pretty good thing going and they're just being greedy trying to get more and more when they already have so much.

I want baseball back. There are no good guys in this situation and the only thing that annoys me is when people try to cry poor for them. If you don't think so, go back and read the posts. 

This is not 1973 when Charlie Finley was trying to give Reggie Jackson a $1000 raise after he was an MVP candidate and the team won another World Series. Pre Free agency players were 100% right in what they wanted. Now they are ready and willing to get a work stoppage when they are being paid very, very well.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

What I wrote wasn't an "analogy", it was a description of what is literally happening. 

And what exactly did Max Scherzer say that you had a problem with? Keep in mind that he is on what is probably the last contract of his career, so he doesn't stand to gain anything down the line by holding out. The lockout is probably going to cost him what, $8-10 million or something? Scherzer is literally putting three times as much on the line as it would have cost each billionaire owner to do that bonus pool increase that players were asking for.

Scherzer is a mercenary who has made over $250 million in his career and will pitch for his 5th team for another ungodly amount of money this year if they actually play. He, along with Clark and Manfred are part of the problem. Greedy rich elite men who could all care less about anything but making the absolute most money for themselves. They have no care for the fan at all. 

Look, you wanna love the players and feel they are poor indentured servants, you have every right to feel that way.

I really don't care about any of them or really anyone's opinion about this situation anymore. I'm on no ones side other than the fans, and some of you aren't even on your own side. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Plenty of people on here are acting like the players are some poor indentured servants who are getting scraps from the owners. 

I work for a Corporation (away from the Hangout). I get a raise every year. What I don't do is sit around and worry how much the corporation made. 

The owners are dbags, and if it were true that they tried to slide a bunch of stuff in at the last second, then they truly have to own this, but the players have a pretty good thing going and they're just being greedy trying to get more and more when they already have so much.

I want baseball back. There are no good guys in this situation and the only thing that annoys me is when people try to cry poor for them. If you don't think so, go back and read the posts. 

This is not 1973 when Charlie Finley was trying to give Reggie Jackson a $1000 raise after he was an MVP candidate and the team won another World Series. Pre Free agency players were 100% right in what they wanted. Now they are ready and willing to get a work stoppage when they are being paid very, very well.

You don't expect a larger raise if the company is making record profits over if they are losing money?

I do.  Or a bonus, something.