Trade Bait 2022

ScGO's

We have to trade Mancini or he’ll just walk. We shouldn’t pay Santander 4-5 million next year when we have Stowers ready for RF. We have to find out what Stowers can do. We also then should just give away Lyles if possible. Odor is just a place holder. I’d take back anything for him. 

I would be really hesitant to trade Lopez and/or Tate. Our bullpen is a strength and we don’t have much in house pitching. I guess you could make the argument that if we can get SP back for them then we should do it. It’s a tough call. We’re really thin at pitching organizationally. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is that a joke question?  Lopez and Tate and it's not even close.

I don't believe Mike Elias evaluates Lopez-Tate much differently than Scott-Sulser.

Marlins: 46.2 IP, 62/22 K/BB, 6 saves

Orioles: 58.1 IP, 49/18 K/BB, 9 saves

Sure the ERA's are better but no GM in 2022 cares about that in a 25-inning sample.

If Elias could get another one of those Competitive Round picks for next month, I believe he'd at least consider.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34089711/stock-watch-your-team-make-trade-deadline-splash-where-all-30-mlb-squads-stand-now

Philadelphia Phillies

Power rating: 88.2 (9th)
Avg. simulation wins: 85.6
Playoff %: 43.1 | Title %: 1.7

Why they will likely add at the deadline: It's been a rollercoaster ride for the beleaguered Phillies, who are back in the playoff picture thanks to a nine-game winning streak. Still, this is a club with some major holes to fill (shortstop, third base, center field, bullpen, defense). That means there are also lots of opportunities leading up to the deadline to make a meaningful upgrade or two. Finding early trade partners might be tough given the number of teams hanging around the fringes of contention. Still, the faster Philly moves, the better, as it looks like making the NL bracket will require at least 88 to 90 wins.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Better duo...Scott and Sulser or Lopez and Tate?

Well, I think a better comparison is Scott / Sulser vs. Perez / Bautista.  Moving the two veterans opened space for the others.  And, of course it also made room for Lopez to close.  IMO, moving them off the roster was a good move regardless the results for the players acquired, especially getting the compensatory pick.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Well, I think a better comparison is Scott / Sulser vs. Perez / Bautista.  Moving the two veterans opened space for the others.  And, of course it also made room for Lopez to close.  IMO, moving them off the roster was a good move regardless the results for the players acquired, especially getting the compensatory pick.

I agree. We gained flexibility in the pen. ERA+ is heavily in Lopez and Tates favor. 

Lopez 434

Tate 224

Sulser 108

Scott 102

It would take a SP return package to trade away Lopez and Tate. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I agree with this for the on-field performance of the 2022 Orioles, but don't think Bautista/Perez are Trade Bait right now as in-arbitration Lopez and Tate might be.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. We gained flexibility in the pen. ERA+ is heavily in Lopez and Tates favor. 

Lopez 434

Tate 224

Sulser 108

Scott 102

It would take a SP return package to trade away Lopez and Tate. 

I'm rooting for it too, but I don't believe many (any?) GM's in today's game will move off their evaluations or pay a premium for a right-handed relief pitcher because of 25 innings of ERA, no matter how many All-Star appearances or Saves they have.

I hope the 2023 Orioles are in the business of rostering Arb2 and Arb1 contributors, but also expect that what Elias might regard as a sweet deal for this profile type still wouldn't meet popular acclaim here.

I want to see if good Jorge Lopez can do 100 innings, not 60.

Minnesota needs a right handed power bat.  They're looking at Nelson Cruz.

Would you rather trade Mancini for some Dominican lottery tickets or hang on to him and hope for a compensation ticket ? 

It's a foregone conclusion they won't resign him.

10 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/14/mets-steve-cohen-not-ruling-out-anything-for-mlb-trade-deadline/

Buck / Mancini reunion? Not sure what the Mets system looks like but I could see Buck being into it.

I like that because Buck is the Mets manager now and I enjoyed watching the 1980s Mets teams. Also Buck would have no qualms about playing Mancini in the outfield.