Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

Aside from my emotional reaction to (from my perspective) the mangling of a park that was visually perfect, I truly don't understand how this is supposed to make the team better. Because it will be harder to hit home runs? Both teams play in the same park under the same conditions, what inherent advantage does that give to the Orioles? I would suggest that they should try assembling pitching staffs that aren't historically bad, that seems far more likely to improve the product on the field. Because it will make Baltimore a more attractive option for free agent pitchers? Who have we been making competitive offers to the past several years that turned us down because of the park? Perhaps they should actually try to spend some money before they assume people won't take it. If anything, I would suspect that pitching in the AL East is a more significant deterrent than the park. I've heard the argument that this will lead to a more exciting brand of baseball, and I can sort of see that, but having an actual good team in the park has always been exciting. I just don't understand what problem got solved here.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

How high is the wall?

Good question, it's 13 feet high now according to this article. 

Orioles pitchers love the changes to Camden Yards’ left-field wall. Their hitters welcome the challenge.

The wall will do it for him. In hopes of removing their ballpark from among Major League Baseball’s most home run-friendly venues, the Orioles changed the playing dimensions at Camden Yards for only the second time in the stadium’s 30-year history. In a project expected to be completed later this month, they are moving the left-field wall back nearly 30 feet and increasing the wall’s height by more than 5 feet to 13 feet tall.

• Upvote 1

Because of that right angle turn is going to be impossible for the CF'er to make (at any rate of speed other than walking), I think he will be able to cheat more to right field. The left fielder is going to have to have some speed and an arm IMO. It will be fun watch visiting teams adapt to it (or not).

2 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

Because of that right angle turn is going to be impossible for the CF'er to make (at any rate of speed other than walking), I think he will be able to cheat more to right field. The left fielder is going to have to have some speed and an arm IMO. It will be fun watch visiting teams adapt to it (or not).

Hays is probably the best case scenario for the type of defensive OF you'd want in Left now. McKenna is pretty well suited too.  Stewart, Dwight Smith or Mountcastle. No.

• Upvote 2