Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

See none of this matters all that much. Certainly cherry-picking some of the worst Orioles pitching years doesn't tell us much. 

What matters is that the perception of Oriole Park starts to change around the game. We already know we can't compete dollar for dollar for free agents. But we have the added burden of the park being an issue for pitchers. Which it is, overall in its history. Why live with that extra burden when the rules of baseball allow you to simply change the dimensions of your ballpark? So while the changes will have some minor benefits/detriments here and there, and maybe it starts to be a more middle-of-the-pack hitter's park, it's the perception change that is the big thing for me.

Cherry picking?

What are you talking about?

I was responding to a post about the last five seasons so I presented the data from the last five seasons.

That's not cherry picking.

For the record I think the perception angle is overblown.  The teams and agents have the actual data.  Everyone knows how to account for park factors.

Once again I'm not upset with them making this move.  I think the biggest impact is going to be on seating capacity.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think it does?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

I don't think it's far enough out of the norm, by the data, to be considered "an absolute outlier".

The runs scored at Camden Yards, while high, are not the problem IMO. It's the HRs, some of which should now be potentially exciting XBHs, potentially with plays at second or third and on runners trying to score from first.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Unfortunately, the homers to RF won't be affected. I had hoped there would be a way to move home plate back and eliminate a few rows of seats behind the plate, so there's be a larger playing surface and more balls in play all around.

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

The runs scored at Camden Yards, while high, are not the problem IMO. It's the HRs, some of which should now be potentially exciting XBHs, potentially with plays at second or third and on runners trying to score from first.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Unfortunately, the homers to RF won't be affected. I had hoped there would be a way to move home plate back and eliminate a few rows of seats behind the plate, so there's be a larger playing surface and more balls in play all around.

You can search for the HR numbers from there with one click.

It's high, everyone will agree it's high.  High enough to be a real issue?  That's questionable.

Not as if it hasn't been an issue for quite some time.  I know some folks are talking about changing the park configuration is some next level thing but it isn't.   The Giants changed their ballpark way back in 2020.

I don't think this is anything close to a big deal and it isn't worth getting into an actual argument over but I'm not a fan of the language they used and I don't think the main goal of this change is to win more ballgames.

7 hours ago, Absltgreek said:

I think I like this idea, won't affect anything from center on to right, but big changes in left. 

This is NOT my image, but saw on another Board in terms of a rough possible idea:

zWKqVq4.png

I think they'll like go deeper than where the foul pole is currently, but in terms of raising the wall up to 12 feet, they would have to eliminate some rows of seating, which would naturally reach near the 12 foot height without disturbing the sightlines of any remaining aisles. My guess is that if you eliminate say 10 rows (I think was an example I read), the natural rise from the stadium seating (as each previous row sits higher), should get you close to that 11-12 foot height. I do agree that it seems like the lower bullpen would have to be relocated to accommodate these changes though, but where, to the grass/batting eye area? I don't know enough about how that would affect the batter's eye area to comment on that though...

I've been waiting impatiently since last night to talk about this, glad to see everything is back!

Hey, this is my picture!

For those that care, LF in this proposed image would be about 385-390ish feet from home plate, the power alley behind the 364 sign would be 393-395ish feet away, and the deepest part of the ballpark would be 424.  There's also the possibility that they could cut a new piece of fence diagonally from the 410 point diagonally across the lower bullpen.  That would make center field a bit more reasonable.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Hey, this is my picture!

For those that care, LF in this proposed image would be about 385-390ish feet from home plate, the power alley behind the 364 sign would be 393-395ish feet away, and the deepest part of the ballpark would be 424.  There's also the possibility that they could cut a new piece of fence diagonally from the 410 point diagonally across the lower bullpen.  That would make center field a bit more reasonable.

Looks good, I think they will go deeper down the LF line though. The seats in the three sections near the pole are awful, always empty, and not likely to put a dent on revenue by eliminating them. 

Edited by fansince1988
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's high, everyone will agree it's high.  High enough to be a real issue?  That's questionable.

Not as if it hasn't been an issue for quite some time.  I know some folks are talking about changing the park configuration is some next level thing but it isn't.   The Giants changed their ballpark way back in 2020.

I don't think this is anything close to a big deal and it isn't worth getting into an actual argument over but I'm not a fan of the language they used and I don't think the main goal of this change is to win more ballgames.

Its giving them a gameplan going forward to maybe collect more LH's. And I think it helps the pitching staff against RH's. Still, right field is a launching pad. If they make the 12 foot walls see through to put in luxury boxes that might look cool. 

I think there might be some real teeth to the argument that the Sheraton renovation impacted airflow.  Since 2017, the first year that 3-year park effects would have used data from after the completion of the Sheraton, the Orioles appear to have been 1st or 2nd in HR park effect 4 out of the 5 years.  (I used statcast park effects for this.) That's more than the reds, who are the next closest competitor.  I think that 30 feet and an increase in wall height is too drastic, but it is what it is.  If FA pitchers aren't signing here because the HR rate is too high then that's a real problem.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I think there might be some real teeth to the argument that the Sheraton renovation impacted airflow.  Since 2017, the first year that 3-year park effects would have used data from after the completion of the Sheraton, the Orioles appear to have been 1st or 2nd in HR park effect 4 out of the 5 years.  (I used statcast park effects for this.) That's more than the reds, who are the next closest competitor.  I think that 30 feet and an increase in wall height is too drastic, but it is what it is.  If FA pitchers aren't signing here because the HR rate is too high then that's a real problem.

I think that is, at best, one of a group of factors making pitchers hesitant to sign here.

• Upvote 1

My hope is that it will help the game -- more defense, more XBHs, more baserunning, fewer HRs -- not that it will improve the Orioles. Maybe it will be very slightly less difficult for young pitchers to build confidence. Maybe.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

My hope is that it will help the game -- more defense, more XBHs, more baserunning, fewer HRs -- not that it will improve the Orioles. Maybe it will be very slightly less difficult for young pitchers to build confidence. Maybe.

I know im looking forward to seeing it in action. Camden Yards was one of the harder parks to hit doubles and triples in because the dimensions were ridiculously cookie cutter and extremely shallow power alleys. 

I think I'm the only one here who really doesn't seem to care.  I feel like I should, but I can't really find the wherewithal to do so.

I think the only thing I'd like to see from this is more extra base hits.  More doubles and triples.  

I'm sure someone has already started looking at how many homers would have been outs, etc.  Kinda curious about that, but that's about it.  

I guess it'll be more interesting when they play the games.

If they play the games.  Ain't that right, @Can_of_corn?

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I'm the only one here who really doesn't seem to care.  I feel like I should, but I can't really find the wherewithal to do so.

I think the only thing I'd like to see from this is more extra base hits.  More doubles and triples.  

I'm sure someone has already started looking at how many homers would have been outs, etc.  Kinda curious about that, but that's about it.  

I guess it'll be more interesting when they play the games.

If they play the games.  Ain't that right, @Can_of_corn?

I'm sure they will play some games this year.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that is, at best, one of a group of factors making pitchers hesitant to sign here.

You're not wrong.  But I'm spitballing that this is going to cost around 15 million. Changing the stadium dimensions is like, 1/10 the cost of a top tier free agent on a multi year contract.  At most.  So even if its not super high impact I think it's still a worthwhile endeavor given the cost of talent.