Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Sure I'll take Correa at a discount but so would Houston, im guessing. Rosenthal doesn't even say the O's are interested, just that they could be because of Elias being VP.

Yeah, this is such a stupid way it was worded.  I'm sure there is a lot more teams that would be interested if his number suddenly dropped.  Orioles aren't going to sign him unless they pay top dollar for him.  

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Sure I'll take Correa at a discount but so would Houston, im guessing. Rosenthal doesn't even say the O's are interested, just that they could be because of Elias being VP.

It’s Ken’s way of trying to make a story out of saying next to nothing. 

Ken didn't really give us any new fat to chew on with that blurb.

I gotta think Correa makes a decision in the next 3-5 days.  While these guys are always working on their own in the offseason and I don't think they necessarily need spring training 100%, they gotta get tuned up a little bit in the preseason games.  And if Correa is switching teams, he should want to get acclimated quickly to his new environment and teammates.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

All Rosenthal seems to be doing is interpreting what Elias said on Monday and adding his own thoughts of why Elias may be interested. Doesn’t seem like he has new info. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Personally,  I'm ok with a 4 year opt out.  Your hope is that by 2023  or 2024 the O's are in a position to contend.  It also gives prospects time to develop and we can possibly fill the Correa hole with someone from the system.  Plus, by then, Correa will be thirty and if he wants to move on, more power to him.

This is how I look at it really. Give him the opt out after four years. If the Orioles haven't drafted and developed a replacement in four years that's on them. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is how I look at it really. Give him the opt out after four years. If the Orioles haven't drafted and developed a replacement in four years that's on them. 

Just curious, and I may have missed you saying already, but - what's your official take on this rumor? Is it hot air or do you think this Raul Ramos really caught wind of something? Elias' team is extremely tight-lipped, so I find it hard to believe someone connected to Elias would let slip the actual rough details of a $300+ million offer. To me it still feels like a Boras leak. 

One thing to remember here is the the Orioles payroll is ridiculously low right now and for the next 2-3 years minus any free agent signings. they can afford Correa if they really do believe he's the center piece to the rebuild along with Rutschman.

Even in the system right now, while Henderson, Westburg and Ortiz all have the potential to play there, none of them are sure fire everyday SS either due to defensive or offensive questions.

Correa makes sense in his position, youth and capabilities. With Correa and a few starting pitching acquisitions next off season, I think the Orioles become a contender by 2023.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing to remember here is the the Orioles payroll is ridiculously low right now and for the next 2-3 years minus any free agent signings. they can afford Correa if they really do believe he's the center piece to the rebuild along with Rutschman.

Even in the system right now, while Henderson, Westburg and Ortiz all have the potential to play there, none of them are sure fire everyday SS either due to defensive or offensive questions.

Correa makes sense in his position, youth and capabilities. With Correa and a few starting pitching acquisitions next off season, I think the Orioles become a contender by 2023.

Buck always said "strong up the middle": Adley, Correa, and Mullins sounds an awful lot like the new Wieters, Hardy, and Jones. And potentially better than that group. And Buck's teams never had pitching prospects like Rodriguez and Hall, unless you count Arrieta.

Man it's exciting to think about. It just feels too good to be true. Intellectually I know better. Years and years of this exact type of disappointment lol. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just curious, and I may have missed you saying already, but - what's your official take on this rumor? Is it hot air or do you think this Raul Ramos really caught wind of something? Elias' team is extremely tight-lipped, so I find it hard to believe someone connected to Elias would let slip the actual rough details of a $300+ million offer. To me it still feels like a Boras leak. 

If it's coming from anywhere it's coming from the Boros side. Now Boros has been known to use phantom teams to drive up the price and that could be what he's doing for Correa while trying to get more money from Houston. Saying that, I don't think the guy is just making stuff up. The question though is if the fed information is legit.

The other thing here is income taxes between Maryland and Texas. Players pay a lot more taxes in Maryland than in Texas and I'm sure that's another contributing factor in the decision.

At the end of the day, Correa makes sense for the Orioles as an impact guy at an impact defensive position to build around as the rebuild draws to an end. The question is, even if Elias did want him, will he get a greenlight from ownership?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Do you have any insight to the logic employed by teams that are anti opt out?  With analytics as wide spread as they are now, teams have to know most of the value in a 10 year deal comes in the first half of the contract.  I think most GMs would prefer to sign a FA for 4 years instead of 10 if the market enabled them to so I don't understand opposition to an opt out.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

will he get a greenlight from ownership?

That's what makes it so hard to believe. I wonder if by the time he was asked in Sarasota about multi-year deals that ownership had already said, "yeahhh nahhhh" to his request. How jumpy is John Angelos so soon after Davis? How much is he wiling to go into "unprecedented free agent signing" territory? And for a guy whose image isn't  the squeakiest of clean? All things change eventually, it's just hard to fathom. I respect John's wililngness to upend almost everything about how the organization was run, but the two parts of this rumor - enormous free agent signing and proactive prospect extension - are two things we've never really seen in the history of the franchise. When even Davis' contract doesn't hold a candle to this rumored deal, you're REALLY in uncharted waters. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Do you have any insight to the logic employed by teams that are anti opt out?  With analytics as wide spread as they are now, teams have to know most of the value in a 10 year deal comes in the first half of the contract.  I think most GMs would prefer to sign a FA for 4 years instead of 10 if the market enabled them to so I don't understand opposition to an opt out.

Well the opt out gives the player the control so if he's amazing he can opt out and go back on the market which makes team's leery. If I were a team I'd front load the contract, give the player an opt out after four and ask for team opt out option after 7 years.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well the opt out gives the player the control so if he's amazing he can opt out and go back on the market which makes team's leery. If I were a team I'd from load the contract, give the player an opt out after four and ask for team opt out option after 7 years.

Another thing PA was loathe to include in a contract. Curious to see if that starts to change.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's what makes it so hard to believe. I wonder if by the time he was asked in Sarasota about multi-year deals that ownership had already said, "yeahhh nahhhh" to his request. How jumpy is John Angelos so soon after Davis? How much is he wiling to go into "unprecedented free agent signing" territory? And for a guy whose image isn't  the squeakiest of clean? All things change eventually, it's just hard to fathom. I respect John's wililngness to upend almost everything about how the organization was run, but the two parts of this rumor - enormous free agent signing and proactive prospect extension - are two things we've never really seen in the history of the franchise. When even Davis' contract doesn't hold a candle to this rumored deal, you're REALLY in uncharted waters. 

The one thing we have to remember about the Davis resigning is that it was pushed for by Buck, but that Angelos was the one that did the negotiations with Boros. We don't know what shape Angelos was in when he had those negotiations, but shortly thereafter he fell out of the public eye. 

This is an opportunity for John Angelos to show the fans he really does care about building a winner. But if I had to bet on this situation, I think Correa ends up back in Houston.