Free agency thread

Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What a horrible idea 

It definitely isn't sexy or exciting, but "a horrible idea" is a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

I like to the think that the majority of fans understand that Correa isn’t actually happening.

I would like to think that too, but I used to post in the MASN comments section during the DD years and it made OH seem like a philosophers convention, so I'm not so sure about that.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It definitely isn't sexy or exciting, but "a horrible idea" is a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

I would like to think that too, but I used to post in the MASN comments section during the DD years and it made OH seem like a philosophers convention, so I'm not so sure about that.

No, it’s a horrible idea.  He isn’t good, he is old and does nothing to help us now or in the long term.  

Start Mateo everyday vs doing that.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No, it’s a horrible idea.  He isn’t good, he is old and does nothing to help us now or in the long term.  

Start Mateo everyday vs doing that.  

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sign Iglesias either, but his defensive track record at SS is certainly better than Mateo's so I can see at least a little bit of logic in the idea to help out the development of our young pitchers. 

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sign Iglesias either, but his defensive track record at SS is certainly better than Mateo's so I can see at least a little bit of logic in the idea to help out the development of our young pitchers. 

Don’t really care about his track record since he is 32 now.  His OAA last year was 0 and had his worst fielding year according to UZR and UZR/150.

Fairly likely that he is declining and has lost a step defensively.  He wasn’t good last year at all.  

He really serves no purpose.

SP Yusei Kikuchi to the Boo Jays, 3/$36 million

I wish we would sign a real SP 😔

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Fairly likely that he is declining and has lost a step defensively.  He wasn’t good last year at all.  

I agree.

Still doesn't make it a "horrible idea" though.

16 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I agree.

There seems to be a general "nothing worth saying, is worth saying without dramatic overstatement and condescension" problem with a couple noted contributors here.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t really care about his track record since he is 32 now.  His OAA last year was 0 and had his worst fielding year according to UZR and UZR/150.

In only 48 attempts last year Matteo managed to be -2 OAA at short stop. If Orioles are going to start bringing up young pitchers, they need at least an above atrocious defense behind them. Not saying Iglesias is the right answer, but he would be a massive step up defensively from anyone currently on the 40 man. Honestly, if the Orioles think Grenier will be above avg defensively at SS I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him get a shot. I know he isn't going to provide much offense, but not sure anyone else is either. Might as well go with someone who can catch, until one of the Ortiz/Westburg group is ready

58 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I agree.

Yes if they bring nothing to the table and block someone who maybe could, it’s a horrible idea to sign them.

Its ok to say your favorite team may be considering a horrible move.  They won’t ban you from OPACY for saying it.

21 minutes ago, seak05 said:

In only 48 attempts last year Matteo managed to be -2 OAA at short stop. If Orioles are going to start bringing up young pitchers, they need at least an above atrocious defense behind them. Not saying Iglesias is the right answer, but he would be a massive step up defensively from anyone currently on the 40 man. Honestly, if the Orioles think Grenier will be above avg defensively at SS I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him get a shot. I know he isn't going to provide much offense, but not sure anyone else is either. Might as well go with someone who can catch, until one of the Ortiz/Westburg group is ready

BTw, I don’t think Mateo should be at SS.  But he’s a better alternative and perhaps with more experience, he will get better.  Or maybe Urias can be there.  Whatever the case may be, there isn’t any good reason to bring Iglesias here.  It’s a lazy move and it’s easier to be better.

If you aren’t signing Correa or Story, go get DeJong.  If he isn’t available, go find a blocked SS who can field and has more upside.  Do something substantial.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes if they bring nothing to the table and block someone who maybe could, it’s a horrible idea to sign them.

The thing that Iglesias brings to the table, as previously discussed, is better defense at SS than Mateo is likely to provide (and probably better offense than Mateo too tbh), which would potentially help our young pitchers to some degree. You ignoring that to try to make your hyperbole seem less silly doesn't actually make your hyperbole any less silly.

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Its ok to say your favorite team may be considering a horrible move.  They won’t ban you from OPACY for saying it.

But it would be a lie, do they ban people for lying? 😆

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The thing that Iglesias brings to the table, as previously discussed, is better defense at SS than Mateo is likely to provide (and probably better offense than Mateo too tbh), which would potentially help our young pitchers to some degree. You ignoring that to try to make your hyperbole seem less silly doesn't actually make your hyperbole any less silly.

But it would be a lie, do they ban people for lying? 😆

You don’t know that the defense will be better, as it seems to be on the decline.

And you can do better…easily.  

On 3/11/2022 at 12:30 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would like to see Ellis and McHugh.  Is McHugh worth trying as a starter again?

Harrison-the O's seem to be overloaded w/ guys who can play 2B/3B, plus I think he's not a long term fix. 

Greinke, I'm a big fan.  Would the O's sign anyone for $15 mill? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/fantasy-baseball-rankings-2022-sleepers-breakouts-busts-from-model-that-predicted-hands-down-year/ar-AATzwd8

i was surprised to see this regarding Ellis:

Top 2022 Fantasy baseball breakouts

One of the 2022 Fantasy baseball breakouts the model is all over: Free agent starter Chris Ellis. The former Ole Miss standout was a third-round pick in the 2014 draft. He did not make his debut until 2019, though. Ellis pitched in seven games last season, going 1-0 with a 2.15 ERA across 29.1 innings.

He also struck out 23 batters and finished with a 1.19 WHIP. Ellis no-hit the Yankees through five innings in September, capping off a strong campaign. SportsLine's model expects Ellis to build on his 2021 season with a breakout year in 2022. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

BTw, I don’t think Mateo should be at SS.  But he’s a better alternative and perhaps with more experience, he will get better.  Or maybe Urias can be there.  Whatever the case may be, there isn’t any good reason to bring Iglesias here.  It’s a lazy move and it’s easier to be better.

If you aren’t signing Correa or Story, go get DeJong.  If he isn’t available, go find a blocked SS who can field and has more upside.  Do something substantial.

It’s just one tweet and it sounded like we were a throw away team. He still makes more sense than Odor since he can play SS.  Signing him is neither a good move or a bad move, he’s just random filler in the utility role.