John Means 2022

Il BuonO

We’re looking at getting another 1.5 years out of him if he gets TJ soon. He basically has very little likelihood of having trade value for us again. I feel bad for him obviously, and he could still have a good number of seasons ahead of him when he returns. But other than possibly ‘24, we probably have to think of our rotation as a blank slate now. Implications are that Hall, T. Wells, Bradish, probably get more patience to stick as starters. And that we explore trades from prospect depth areas (MI/OF).

2 hours ago, yark14 said:

I don't think we need to jump to "the sky is falling" TJ conclusions just yet.  Means is smart to get a 2nd opinion.  There is a really positive sign that he only felt tightness on the curveball and not other pitches.  

That’s not how I read this situation at all.  He’s getting a second opinion because the first doctor told him he needed surgery.  Hyde would not say he’s going to be out a long time and possibly not return in 2022 if there wasn’t a serious issue. 

4 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

We’re looking at getting another 1.5 years out of him if he gets TJ soon. He basically has very little likelihood of having trade value for us again. I feel bad for him obviously, and he could still have a good number of seasons ahead of him when he returns. But other than possibly ‘24, we probably have to think of our rotation as a blank slate now. Implications are that Hall, T. Wells, Bradish, probably get more patience to stick as starters. And that we explore trades from prospect depth areas (MI/OF).

This is why you trade guys like this.  How many times does this organization have to learn this the hard way?  Mullins needs to go as soon as he gets hot.  Mancini should have gone preCA.  But no we will hold and hold till they are worth nothing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

That’s not how I read this situation at all.  He’s getting a second opinion because the first doctor told him he needed surgery.  Hyde would not say he’s going to be out a long time and possibly not return in 2022 if there wasn’t a serious issue. 

The likelihood of needing elbow surgery is high 

The Orioles should sign Means right now to a 3 year contract (including this season) for 3/13 contract with a team option for a 4th year that could make it a 4/25 contract.

This injury sucks but it shouldn’t hurt Means too much long term and that contract pays him this year, gives him a very small raise next year and a cheap contract in year 3.  It also gives him some guarantees while he gets himself through this injury.

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles should sign Means right now to a 3 year contract (including this season) for 3/13 contract with a team option for a 4th year that could make it a 4/25 contract.

This injury sucks but it shouldn’t hurt Means too much long term and that contract pays him this year, gives him a very small raise next year and a cheap contract in year 3.  It also gives him some guarantees while he gets himself through this injury.

Yeah, I agree but I am also the guy that wanted to sign Chris Tillman to a long term deal before his price got too high. Good thing we didn't. 

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yeah, I agree but I am also the guy that wanted to sign Chris Tillman to a long term deal before his price got too high. Good thing we didn't. 

If Means doesn’t ever pitch again, this contract wouldn’t hurt them.  There is almost zero downside.