3/18/22 - Spring training opener vs. Blue Jays

eddie83

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's really starting to get some buzz. Looks bigger, but still elite defensively. He strikes me as the kind of guy that just looks like a real shortstop out there, compared to everyone else.

Poor Richie - he makes 2 errors, then gets replaced by Ortiz who makes a dazzling play and turns a DP with Westburg. 

Most guys in his situation never make the majors and he's managed to hang around a bit.  He's not one I feel sorry for.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Most guys in his situation never make the majors and he's managed to hang around a bit.  He's not one I feel sorry for.

His best chance to log a bunch of ML games was the year he got hurt, unfortunately. I still don't mind him as AAAA utility IF depth. But yeah, no shot to start with the team basically. And that's a positive development for the O's. 

Looks like no Statcast.   I home-cooked this URL using the GameID Savant gave, but it goes to a page saying "No Statcast".   I'd heard at times in the past you could sometimes find game data with that trick.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=707027

In addition to Berrios this afternoon, I see Verlander pitched for Houston...too early to wonder why John Means didn't pitch today?

Just now, Just Regular said:

Looks like no Statcast.   I home-cooked this URL using the GameID Savant gave, but it goes to a page saying "No Statcast".   I'd heard at times in the past you could sometimes find game data with that trick.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=707027

In addition to Berrios this afternoon, I see Verlander pitched for Houston...too early to wonder why John Means didn't pitch today?

I can't remember the #1 starter starting game 1 of an Orioles ST game a single time in the last decade at least. I wouldn't read anything into it. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I can't remember the #1 starter starting game 1 of an Orioles ST game a single time in the last decade at least. I wouldn't read anything into it. 

Buck did like to hide them, especially from divisional opponents.    But with another short spring like 2020, I think if you want your April 7/8 starter to have 4 turns in practice games, not much calendar room.    Not that Means needs to be 100-pitch ready April 8th for....anything really.   

Guessing we'll hear details soon on how many extra pitchers teams will get, how long, etc.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

It could be that Hyde would rather his main rotation guys get another prep day while throwing guys like Watkins to the wolves in game 1. 

Minor league camp started on time.  Watkins, Naughton, Larkins, Vespi and Buddy Baumann have all been in minor league camp.   Scott is the only one who was not.

• Upvote 1