Are we really not signing anyone else?

NelsonCruuuuuz

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m more interested in how the players we currently have play than who else we might acquire.  The former will determine how this season goes and what the future of the team looks like.  The latter is largely irrelevant.  

I would be fine with this if they actually did it. But they seem to want to waste their time with the Chris Elis, Watkins, of the world and insist on trying to stretch out Lopez and Wells even though they belong in the pen. Stick Zimmerman, Akin, and Lowther in the rotation and go from there. They need to sink or swim. Stop wasting time with ther others if we arent going to sign anyone 

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen any outing news yet this Spring, but do wonder a little bit if a bone we could be thrown is Kyle Bradish making the team.

Beyond being one of the 15 best pitchers, to also demonstrate Baltimore commitment to not manipulating service time.

Golly gosh, did you see what MLB hitters did to Grayson Rodriguez?    But if Bradish shows he can handle them this month to add to the stack of his good AAA finish, we might be willing to give that 25.5 year old young man an opportunity to earn his free agency in the next six seasons, even if he is not Rookie of the Year.

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I haven't seen any outing news yet this Spring, but do wonder a little bit if a bone we could be thrown is Kyle Bradish making the team.

Beyond being one of the 15 best pitchers, to also demonstrate Baltimore commitment to not manipulating service time.

Golly gosh, did you see what MLB hitters did to Grayson Rodriguez?    But if Bradish shows he can handle them this month to add to the stack of his good AAA finish, we might be willing to give that 25.5 year old young man an opportunity to earn his free agency in the next six seasons, even if he is not Rookie of the Year.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

So simple of a concept, but just seems so very lost on some. Would I be upset if they signed a veteran starting pitcher Like Zach Davies to a one year contract to see if he can help, no, but getting a look at the young starting pitching candidates makes more sense to understand what they got.

I'm be more excited if we were seeing Lowther, Zimmermann, Baumann, or Bradish but so far they've been MIA in spring games, but then again, so has Means and Lyles. I assume the Orioles are just trying to get them ready on the back fields vs live spring competition.

Means starting today.

Interesting, it's 17 days until Opening Day in Tampa, 20 days until the Home Opener.   So means could go every 5th day from here on and start the home opener, but that would mean someone else would start Opening Day in Tampa.

Or he could get an extra day off in between 2 spring starts and start the opener in Tampa.

What i don't get is if you aren't going to add meaningful pieces then why retain Mancini, or even Means or Mullins.

Its a pretty clear either/or.

I guess maybe no one was interested in trades post lockout and the Orioles were thinking they could wait until the deadline.  But watch, at the deadline 2-3 of these 1 year deal pitchers the Orioles aren't signing will be on the trade block.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So simple of a concept, but just seems so very lost on some. Would I be upset if they signed a veteran starting pitcher Like Zach Davies to a one year contract to see if he can help, no, but getting a look at the young starting pitching candidates makes more sense to understand what they got.

I'm be more excited if we were seeing Lowther, Zimmermann, Baumann, or Bradish but so far they've been MIA in spring games, but then again, so has Means and Lyles. I assume the Orioles are just trying to get them ready on the back fields vs live spring competition.

Given the lockout, I imagine they are trying to avoid any issues associated with ramping guys up too quickly (relative to a normal pitchers & catchers report -> ST games cycle)

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Davies to the Dbacks for $4.5. 

Davies was a player some here said they wanted in another thread - and suggested we get him for more than he signed for.  I'm glad we didn't get him - even for that price.  

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather have Davies for $4.5 mm than Lyles for $7 mm.

Elias thought Lyles finished hot though, and pitched 180 innings. Davies isnt terrible at that price, but the O's need to find out what they have with Bradish, Baumann, Hall and a few others.