Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Scott Van Pelt is a Sportscenter host who also has the SVP show on Espn.  He's a fan of the O's.  He grew up in Tockville and attended Maryland.

Also a real top "baldie", as Larry David would say. 

Red Sox just signed Garrett Whitlock to an extension.  4 years, with club options for a 5th and 6th.

$18.75mm for the 4 years.  $8.25mm or $1mm buyout for the 5th year.  $10.5mm or $500k buyout for the 6th year.

Like Wells, Whitlock was a Rule 5 pick last year and thrived pitching for his new team.

• Upvote 1

Disappointing 1st start of the year for sure.

While he did not get any breaks, this implosion was entirely on Wells. He takes too many pitches to get guys out, work slower than a sloth, and he does not field his position well.

The stuff is good, but he was not able to command it well enough and he doesn't pound the zone. It was literally painful to watch him pitch in that second inning. 

He needs to get his tempo up and attack hitters with his stuff and stop trying to strike everyone out.  He meeds to pitch to contact a bit more. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=4/10/2022&gamePk=661916&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=scoreboard#661916

The line is obviously terrible and Tony made some good points, but I'm not discouraged.

The stuff is there.  He showed above average fastball, changeup, and breaking ball today.  The foundation is there.

He got himself in trouble by not being aggressive enough within the zone, and then he booted a fieldable ball that should have been two.  Then he's up into 30+ pitches for the inning, and 50+ for the game, and he gives up a HR.

He got squeezed pretty bad. And Tampa is incredible at spitting on pitches. Better times ahead for Wells, whose stuff looked good until he dropped a tick on velocity on the home run. He was around the zone all day, just didn't really go his way. You know when a pitcher is out there getting clobbered (Fry). This wasn't that.

The stuff is there…in short stints.  We don’t know if the stuff is there for 80-100 pitches and going through a lineup multiple times.

Of course, this is the type of thing you want to find out but I don’t think we can definitively make comments that “the stuff is there” when we have literally never seen if it’s there as a starter.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The stuff is there…in short stints.  We don’t know if the stuff is there for 80-100 pitches and going through a lineup multiple times.

Of course, this is the type of thing you want to find out but I don’t think we can definitively make comments that “the stuff is there” when we have literally never seen if it’s there as a starter.

Shut up with your reasonable take, SG. Gosh. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

For the most part, this same is true of Grayson pitches 75-100, though in 2019 he had some games in the 90's.   Between 2019 and 2022, who he is as a homo sapien throwing mechanism has had a nice amount of growth though.

Here's my takeaway on yesterday, Wells competed with MLB Bats for 54 pitches.   He had a 51 on April 24th last year, but otherwise topped out in the mid-30's a bunch of times.    Who knows if he can grow from a 60-inning role to a 150-inning one, but it is worth trying even if his 2022 outcomes get as ugly as 2021's were pretty.

Tanner Houck had a pretty messy night against the Yankees, traffic everywhere during 3.1 innings and 78 pitches.   I don't know off the top of my head if Rodriguez has had a game like that ever in the minors, but MLB Bats are going to put him in that situation once in a while, and one of the deployment choices I'm curious to see is when he has a 30+ pitch inning, is he just going to be done for the night on the spot?   70 pitches a game is even easier when you are mowing them down in tidy chunks of 14.   

46 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

For the most part, this same is true of Grayson pitches 75-100, though in 2019 he had some games in the 90's.   Between 2019 and 2022, who he is as a homo sapien throwing mechanism has had a nice amount of growth though.

Here's my takeaway on yesterday, Wells competed with MLB Bats for 54 pitches.   He had a 51 on April 24th last year, but otherwise topped out in the mid-30's a bunch of times.    Who knows if he can grow from a 60-inning role to a 150-inning one, but it is worth trying even if his 2022 outcomes get as ugly as 2021's were pretty.

Tanner Houck had a pretty messy night against the Yankees, traffic everywhere during 3.1 innings and 78 pitches.   I don't know off the top of my head if Rodriguez has had a game like that ever in the minors, but MLB Bats are going to put him in that situation once in a while, and one of the deployment choices I'm curious to see is when he has a 30+ pitch inning, is he just going to be done for the night on the spot?   70 pitches a game is even easier when you are mowing them down in tidy chunks of 14.   

Sure, any pitcher has to prove it but GRod has several years of youth on his side and his MiL numbers are great.  

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think we've seen that the stuff is there, but what we don't know is whether he can maintain that stuff to 80-100 pitches. Yesterday he struggled after about 30. 

I think this is a worthwhile experiment. If it doesn't work out, it's pretty easy to move him back to the bullpen if there's someone more deserving in his spot. 

But I have high hopes for Wells. I didn't think he pitched all that poorly. I do have concerns about the drop off in stuff though. He might take awhile to stretch out.