DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

The other issue with sending him down is just the lost salary. Does he keep his major league salary since he's on the 40 man roster? I don't know that answer.

If not, with a $700,000 salary, he'd stand to lose something like $200,000+.

But I don't know the rules.

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The other issue with sending him down is just the lost salary. Does he keep his major league salary since he's on the 40 man roster? I don't know that answer.

If not, with a $700,000 salary, he'd stand to lose something like $200,000+.

But I don't know the rules.

He would only make the $700K when he is in the Majors, in the minors, since he is on the 40-man roster for the first time this year, his salary is $57,200.

Agree they should invent an injury or some such if they just plain want to shut him down.

As you'd expect with a Rule 5 pick, Cot's showed him entering this year with 1.000 years.days of service.   It is a natural conflict of interest if he's exhausted his seasonal allotment (very well!) in too few days.

I've been following Garrett Whitlock as Tyler Wells' twin (TJ interrupts Minors path of good SP prospect, Club hopes no one notices, it didn't work) and Red Sox have said they are bringing him back as a reliever even as he returns from missing a month in the middle of year 2.

Whitlock 6.11.1996 -  73 innings last year, and 48 so far this year

Wells 8.26.1994 - 57 innings last year and 75 so far this year

I believe Elias likes to dose to get guys through the six months, but the Means and Grayson actual results have pushed the team to burn him fast this year.

• Upvote 1

From what Hyde and Elias have indicated, I don't expect them to shut Wells down or remove him from the rotation.  To me, if seems more likely that they'd use him in a 3 or 4 inning opener role with someone else like Akin or even DL Hall following up for the next 3-4 innings.  This would allow both Wells and Hall to pitch through the end of the season, a stated goal, and still control their innings.  You could have Lyles, Wells/Hall, Kremer, Harvey, and any of Watkins, Zimmerman, Voth in the rotation by late July.

I think that rotating Wells/Hall and Hall/Wells could make for a deadly combo.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Right.  Despite getting down voted by the guy who has a poster of Tyler Wells on his ceiling, I think its obvious that he won't be in the rotation for the whole year.  When Hyde said he won't come close to 150 innings, I think that means the writing is on the wall.  I almost wonder if they send him down around the AS break.  

His last start before the AS break is the 15th.  You won't need a 5th starter until July 26.  Could be a way to save some innings.  Maybe you don't even have him start on the 15th.  Maybe you send him down after his next start and just have him throw a few innings to stay sharp?

I'd be worried about him getting rusty. I'd rather keep him on on regular work and then when he's within 20 innings or whether their computer program spit out, you then use him in relief to finish out the year.

Or they could follow the very successful St Louis Model and have him pitch 198 innings the year after his TJ like Adam Wainwright instead of constantly babying these guys.

• Upvote 1

Red Sox about to start a rookie against the Yankees had the tidbit rookie SP are 0-6 with a 7.00 ERA in nine starts against NYY this year.

We wouldn't let DL Hall lead off the 2nd half in our next to last series of the year with them, would we?

Otherwise there's just the road trip before the break.

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He has down voted me several times about Wells.  I think he wants to date him or something.  (not that there is anything wrong with that)

No, I just think you’re a pompous know it all who’s predictions are always wrong. Lol. Everything you have said or predicted about him has been proven wrong. I’m not a relative by the way. But I did see him play from college and followed since. I have a couple guys from other teams I follow like that too. Guys I’ve seen from when they were nobody. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 27outs said:

No, I just think you’re a pompous know it all who’s predictions are always wrong. Lol. Everything you have said or predicted about him has been proven wrong. I’m not a relative by the way. But I did see him play from college and followed since. I have a couple guys from other teams I follow like that too. Guys I’ve seen from when they were nobody. 

Yep.  I sure have.  The Orioles, after using him as a long reliever last year, shortened his time in the pen and had him throw less innings.  Doesn’t make sense to do that and then make him a starter.  Roch and other reported he would stay in the pen but that didn’t happen.  

Of course, by lessening the innings last year, it means he won’t be able to throw too many more innings this year, which was my point last year And why i didn’t think the transition was happening.

However, I’m certainly not just spouting things off about him with no reasoning behind it but you just don’t understand it or disagree with, so you can get all defensive for no reason.   You would figure you would try to have a conversation about it instead of cowardly just downvoting but I guess that’s just who some people are. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Cowardly downvoting?   Oh boy.   Some people take downvoting so personal and serious.

Honestly, it doesn’t bother me.  I’m just saying, if you have an issue with what is being said, don’t be that guy that just downvotes for no reason.  At least have the balls to have an actual discussion.

I mean, when you never post and you do stuff like that (there are a few who do this I have noticed), it’s pretty weak.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Honestly, it doesn’t bother me.  I’m just saying, if you have an issue with what is being said, don’t be that guy that just downvotes for no reason.  At least have the balls to have an actual discussion.

I mean, when you never post and you do stuff like that (there are a few who do this I have noticed), it’s pretty weak.  

The problem I have with you is you make statements that are based on what you THINK should be, instead of what’s actually happening. Especially when it comes to Wells, who you really just kind of poo poo him too often. I don’t think you’re a stupid person by any means. You obviously pay close attention to sports. And I can appreciate that. But your biases towards names you know versus guys like Wells just makes it Difficult to have any dialogue about it. I was roundly ridiculed, particularly by you, last year when I told you Tyler Wells would be the ace of the staff. And now he is. In fact you, and a couple of others, go out of your way to downplay his success. Like he is the temporary  ace with an asterisk lol. And I’m just saying that this guy is just different And I think he deserves more respect than he gets from people like yourself. Time will tell. But no hard feelings. I’ll stop downvoting you lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 27outs said:

The problem I have with you is you make statements that are based on what you THINK should be, instead of what’s actually happening. Especially when it comes to Wells, who you really just kind of poo poo him too often. I don’t think you’re a stupid person by any means. You obviously pay close attention to sports. And I can appreciate that. But your biases towards names you know versus guys like Wells just makes it Difficult to have any dialogue about it. I was roundly ridiculed, particularly by you, last year when I told you Tyler Wells would be the ace of the staff. And now he is. In fact you, and a couple of others, go out of your way to downplay his success. Like he is the temporary  ace with an asterisk lol. And I’m just saying that this guy is just different And I think he deserves more respect than he gets from people like yourself. Time will tell. But no hard feelings. I’ll stop downvoting you lol

Well I can promise you that if he doesn’t strike more guys out and continues to not miss bats, he won’t be at this level for long.  

Now, the last 2 starts he has missed bats and if that trend continues, his ceiling rises.

The idea that you like him and watched him in college doesn’t make him a better pitcher than he is.  

4 hours ago, 27outs said:

I was roundly ridiculed, particularly by you, last year when I told you Tyler Wells would be the ace of the staff. And now he is. In fact you, and a couple of others, go out of your way to downplay his success. 

You have to remember that the vets on this board with high post counts will usually disagree with the newbies or infrequent posters just to flex...or simply ignore your post and continue to have the same recycled arguments amongst themselves over and over that they've been having for years.

• Upvote 3

Just now, yark14 said:

You have to remember that the vets on this board with high post counts will usually disagree with the newbies or infrequent posters just to flex...or simply ignore your post and continue to have the same recycled arguments amongst themselves over and over that they've been having for years.

Oh please.

Your other point however....