Who will pitch the home opener?

wildcard

Means appears lined up to start Opening Day in Tampa.   But the stomach flu appears to have messed with Hyde's plan to have Lyles pitch the home opener.   I am wondering if Lyles get more rest between starts to line him up for the home opener start or does Hyde go with someone else?

• Downvote 1

John Means is our only decent starter, so if it isn't him, it doesn't really make much of a difference.

37 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

An Opening Day bullpen day would kind of be on point for what baseball has become in 2022.

Honestly, that might be our best chance of winning if Means isn't going to be starting the game. Sign me up.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

We don't even know who is in the rotation yet but my random guess would be Zimmerman.

Zimmerman is pitching today, which is 12 days before the home opener.

Interestingly, Means has been lined up for the home opener.   His last start was Sunday, so going every 5th day would have him lined up to pitch the home opener, not the opener in Tampa.

Has Hyde announced an Opening Day starter for the 8th?   Perhaps he is saving Means to open in front of the home crowd and will go with Lyles in the Tampa opener?

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Interestingly, Means has been lined up for the home opener.   His last start was Sunday, so going every 5th day would have him lined up to pitch the home opener, not the opener in Tampa.

Has Hyde announced an Opening Day starter for the 8th?   Perhaps he is saving Means to open in front of the home crowd and will go with Lyles in the Tampa opener?

Be nice to see a hometown kid get the start in Zim. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

If they are lining guys up to pitch every 5th day, then the home opener starter would be whoever pitches on Friday. However, there is an off day on 4/7 which would then make the home opener the starter in tomorrow's game, which is Akin. But with guys just getting stretched out I'm not sure they are on schedule yet. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If they are lining guys up to pitch every 5th day, then the home opener starter would be whoever pitches on Friday. However, there is an off day on 4/7 which would then make the home opener the starter in tomorrow's game, which is Akin. But with guys just getting stretched out I'm not sure they are on schedule yet. 

I think your math is off.   The person that pitches Friday (4/1) could go on normal rest 4/6 vs Detroit and then go in the home opener on 4/11.

30 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think your math is off.   The person that pitches Friday (4/1) could go on normal rest 4/6 vs Detroit and then go in the home opener on 4/11.

I think that's what I said. If they are lined up, it would be the same as the Friday 4/1 starter. However, there is an off day on 4/7 so if they keep the rotation with extra rest it would be Akin. 

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

They said on today's MASN telecast that Hyde will be announcing the opening day starter (April 8th) tomorrow.