Elias expects hitting to be good and pitching to struggle

Sports Guy

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I want to know why they keep pinch hitting with a defensive replacement.

I really don’t get what he’s doing. Any of those guys is a better hitter than McKenna. Maybe Bemboom is worse. But at least he makes the pitcher work for it. 

The hitting has been bad but the RISP combined with the discrepancy between BA and xBA suggests they're having some pretty terrible luck. Don't get me wrong, the hitting is probably mediocre even without bad luck, but it shouldn't be this bad.

For xBA, the MLB average differential between BA and xBA is -0.018 in 2022. It's -0.28 for the O's. That's pretty rough.

Mancini, Mountcastle, Urias, Hays, Mullins all with a differential >-0.050.

Urias in particular looking at -0.114 for BA and -0.276(!!!) for slugging.

It sure has been hard to watch all these hard hit balls turn into outs.

43 minutes ago, celery said:

The hitting has been bad but the RISP combined with the discrepancy between BA and xBA suggests they're having some pretty terrible luck. Don't get me wrong, the hitting is probably mediocre even without bad luck, but it shouldn't be this bad.

For xBA, the MLB average differential between BA and xBA is -0.018 in 2022. It's -0.28 for the O's. That's pretty rough.

Mancini, Mountcastle, Urias, Hays, Mullins all with a differential >-0.050.

Urias in particular looking at -0.114 for BA and -0.276(!!!) for slugging.

It sure has been hard to watch all these hard hit balls turn into outs.

It’s funny, I read those stats but I don’t feel that’s what I’ve been seeing.   I’ve seen Mancini robbed twice on balls in the gap; otherwise I really haven’t seen anything that looked like a hit off the bat but turned into an out.   Of course, I’ve only watched maybe 30% of the at bats so far this season.  

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s funny, I read those stats but I don’t feel that’s what I’ve been seeing.   I’ve seen Mancini robbed twice on balls in the gap; otherwise I really haven’t seen anything that looked like a hit off the bat but turned into an out.   Of course, I’ve only watched maybe 30% of the at bats so far this season.  

Hell, that CFer in Oakland took away three hits last night by himself.

They've had some bad luck for sure.  Not just Mancini.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Oh absolutely. Especially because we lucked out having Watkins and Ellis face a gutted A's team. Those guys aren't going to have that kind of success elsewhere. 

That should make for a pleasant message board.

The way things are going, it's kind of shocking we didn't sign Correa:

Season Team Level G     PA     HR   AVG    OBP     SLG      wOBA    wRC+   WAR 

2022      MIN    MLB     10      43   1      .184      .279      .316   .275  79     0.1  

7 minutes ago, Ripken said:

The way things are going, it's kind of shocking we didn't sign Correa:

Season Team Level G     PA     HR   AVG    OBP     SLG      wOBA    wRC+   WAR 

2022      MIN    MLB     10      43   1      .184      .279      .316   .275  79     0.1  

If we had signed Correa to a ten year deal, he'd be getting a second opinion on TJ surgery right about now.