Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I had to laugh at the last two pages of this thread. Calling this a stupid move, comical. This was a very unique situation. He got a chance to fill a temporary MLB role and get a taste. I am sure he was thrilled to come up for a few days. 

Stowers has a lot to learn about his major league adjustments. You get a chance to bring him up for a few days, to go through the preparation and see a taste of the big league life. To be around the team, the coaches and so on.

He played in two games, and acquitted himself ok. He got to watch, listen and learn. A lot is learned on the bench, and I’m sure someone here will argue against that. But it is true for a guy like Kyle. Talk to any guy who has been in MLB. 

Hyde felt the matchups weren’t good in two games, and fans complain. They want the kid to have some success, and get his feet on the ground. His confidence is important. I’m not sure why this is such an issue for some. Stowers is not our next superstar or something. He might be a solid major leaguer, maybe. He has a ways to go in AAA yet. 

I don't know if Stowers is the O's next superstar.  Don't if he is or isn't.  But I am pretty sure Elias is going to make room for him to get a long look with the O's.  He's a top 10 prospect and Elias is going to see what he's got.   He  is a  lefty power hitter who will play in a park that is made for left-handed power hitters.

9 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I had to laugh at the last two pages of this thread. Calling this a stupid move, comical. This was a very unique situation. He got a chance to fill a temporary MLB role and get a taste. I am sure he was thrilled to come up for a few days. 

Stowers has a lot to learn about his major league adjustments. You get a chance to bring him up for a few days, to go through the preparation and see a taste of the big league life. To be around the team, the coaches and so on.

He played in two games, and acquitted himself ok. He got to watch, listen and learn. A lot is learned on the bench, and I’m sure someone here will argue against that. But it is true for a guy like Kyle. Talk to any guy who has been in MLB. 

Hyde felt the matchups weren’t good in two games, and fans complain. They want the kid to have some success, and get his feet on the ground. His confidence is important. I’m not sure why this is such an issue for some. Stowers is not our next superstar or something. He might be a solid major leaguer, maybe. He has a ways to go in AAA yet. 

He’s 24 years old & 171 days.  He has hammered AAA pitching.  When he doesn’t get a hit (59% of which are for extra bases) he makes a loud out.  Yes, he’s striking out 24% of the time and that likely increases in MLB, but that is part of his game.  He has actually improved his strikeout rate from last years 32% while at a higher level.  He has done all he needs to do in AAA. Only reason he isn’t on the MLB club is because there is no where for him to play.  

11 hours ago, justD said:

His last at bat, he started off 0-2, the second pitch a low-and-away pitch he really reached for.

He then worked it back to 3-2 before smoothly lifting a line drive out to shallow CF. 

He had in the previous AB been hit in the right ribs, as noted. It makes sense he would feel sore an inning later and would ask to come out, but I don’t think it will be serious or long-term. 

I heard from a friend that it looked like maybe he pulled something on the last swing.   I guess we’ll see if it’s anything serious.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I heard from a friend that it looked like maybe he pulled something on the last swing.   I guess we’ll see if it’s anything serious.  

He has about as violent of a swing as you can have.  Hopefully after getting popped in the ribs it was just uncomfortable & sore and he didn’t pull anything.  Here’s to hoping!  I’m sure we will get and update soon lol 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't know if Stowers is the O's next superstar.  Don't if he is or isn't.  But I am pretty sure Elias is going to make room for him to get a long look with the O's.  He's a top 10 prospect and Elias is going to see what he's got.   He  is a  lefty power hitter who will play in a park that is made for left-handed power hitters.

He should get a long look, agreed. Has a very long swing, at times, but he makes great violent contact. The COVID year put him behind the curve, developmentally. There is a rawness to his game, overall. All I am saying is, he is going to need some patience. If/when Mancini and/or Santander are traded, he should be up. 

On 6/22/2022 at 4:00 AM, wildcard said:

I would add that there may be clubhouse considerations that make this a potentially savvy move. If/when Mancini and/or Santander are dealt, Stowers is likely the next man up. Mancini and Santander (to a lesser degree) are the veteran presences in the clubhouse at this point, at least among the position players. There’s a very real risk that a team on the rise may have pockets of discontent or resentment if those guys are shipped out at the deadline this year. Stowers already having been up and a member of the team may help defray or blunt some of that. 

probably not the primary rationale for him being the call-up for the taxi squad, but I think it could be a non-zero consideration. 

We need a fresh maxEV.   I remember him giving one in an offseason interview, but he's played more than half of his Age 24 season by now.

Adley's scraped 110 in his first 100 MLB batted balls, and had one 112-ish that week Norfolk was in Charlotte the International League park with Statcast.    Mountcastle's 112 flat remains the YTD team best at the halfway mark.

Stowers has 59 hits.   35  for extra bases.    That is an extremely high percentage.    He's made a lot of progress this year which should prepare him better for the majors.   He's continued to do damage and cut down his strikeouts to a manageable level.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:25 AM, Frobby said:

From Roch:

Former Orioles catcher Caleb Joseph, working for Blue Jays radio during the four-game series in Toronto, watched Kyle Stowers’ first at-bat and experienced flashbacks.

Joseph said the outfield prospect reminds him of former teammate Nick Markakis.

Like a carbon copy at the plate.

“When I first saw him making his major league debut, and the head-on view, I was getting some scary Markakis vibes in terms of the way his elbows were moving, and just the motion of the bat pre-pitch. And then the way he loaded, and his hover, were identical to me,” Joseph said.

“Out of nowhere I thought, ‘Oh my goodness, that’s Markakis with blonde hair.' And the build looks similar. I don’t know why, but it just flashed ‘Markakis’ in my head. And man, a really good Oriole, so if he’s anywhere close to Markakis, I think it will be a really good thing for the Orioles.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/leftovers-for-breakfast-1-3

Not very similar players, even if their stances and movements in the batters box are similar.

Glad to heat Caleb is doing some broadcasting. I always thought he would be a natural analyst if he didn't get into coaching.